Home

Does height/weight matter in NCAA 14?

This is a discussion on Does height/weight matter in NCAA 14? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 01-13-2015, 05:09 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Does height/weight matter in NCAA 14?

Does the weight of a player say a linemen make them better in NCAA 14?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2015, 08:08 PM   #2
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Does height/weight matter in NCAA 14?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakedasnaked
Does the weight of a player say a linemen make them better in NCAA 14?
No. The ratings matter. You can take an OL guy w/ 99/99/99 RBK/PBK/IBK and he'll be a stud whether he's 350 or 180 lbs.

Height is good for WRs/TEs/defense.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 01-14-2015, 11:49 AM   #3
Rookie

Maverick09's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
No. The ratings matter. You can take an OL guy w/ 99/99/99 RBK/PBK/IBK and he'll be a stud whether he's 350 or 180 lbs.

Height is good for WRs/TEs/defense.
Has anyone tried doing this to see the results? I remember when the game was being advertised before it came out, the devs were saying that size actually mattered in this years game. Does size only apply with RBs using their stiff arms on defenders?

I'd like to hear more on this.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:09 PM   #4
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick09
Has anyone tried doing this to see the results? I remember when the game was being advertised before it came out, the devs were saying that size actually mattered in this years game. Does size only apply with RBs using their stiff arms on defenders?

I have not tried it on 14 with extreme weight difference. I do have a freshman(Rs) guard that was a "Athlete" recruit that is listed as 265lbs. I forgot to edit his weight up before the start of the season so the first game I thought I had a tightend at guard. The guy ended the game with 3 pancakes. I have since edited his weight just for appearance reasons.

Like Jello said before the ratings are what matters. Height does play a role when you have a 6'6" receiver matched on a 5'10" DB. I have seen and played against many power backs at 180-190lbs that truck 245lb linebackers. The only time I know height and weight play a key role in the game is in the draft classes. There was a list of limits per position on OS awhile back. An example is QBs have to be 6'+ and 200lbs+ to make the draft file.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:38 PM   #5
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick09

I have. I did tests w/ my entire OL being 3 deep w/ these guys:
#1: 400 LBs, 99/99/99 RBK/PBK/IBK
#2: 160 LBs, 99/99/99
#3: 300 LBs, 40/40/40

The 160 guys blocked just as well as the 400 LB guys (since they're both 99s) and the 300 guys sucked (because they're 40s) and were noticeably worse than the 160 lb dudes.

In my tests (done in practice w/ the same plays) it was tough to tell on running plays because all 3 sets of players had guys blow up the play from time to time, but was much more noticeable on passing plays where I would simply hold the ball and time how long it took for the DL (rushing 3) to get to my QB. The 300 LB tackles were swim moved around very quickly almost every time. Both the 400 LBers and 160 LBers held off the D for enough time for me to find a receiver if I were gonna throw it.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-26-2016, 02:58 PM   #6
Rookie

Fredeye50's Arena

OVR: 0

Sorry for the bump but has anybody noticed anything new with height/weight? I was going to conduct a new science project but thought I would ask. I was interested in using light linebackers as DEs. I remember in older editions of NCAA that using a light LB with high ratings as a DE still got blown up by the OL.

The two things I already know are the minimums for the NFL Draft and height differences for DBs and WRs.

Last edited by Fredeye50; 11-26-2016 at 03:03 PM. Reason: specification error
Old 11-28-2016, 04:22 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredeye50
Sorry for the bump but has anybody noticed anything new with height/weight? I was going to conduct a new science project but thought I would ask. I was interested in using light linebackers as DEs. I remember in older editions of NCAA that using a light LB with high ratings as a DE still got blown up by the OL.

The two things I already know are the minimums for the NFL Draft and height differences for DBs and WRs.
It would be interesting to see your results, I know the original ads on this game were the new locomotion system meant powerbacks would feel like powerbacks vs speedbacks would have to use agility and not trucking to get past the defense. I would not necessarily agree with how that actually plays on NCAA 14. I think to everyone else's point if a RB who weigh 120lbs but has 99 Trucking would be able to run over 200+ Linebackers/linemen
Old 11-29-2016, 11:11 PM   #8

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15

Height definitely plays a role on jump balls for receivers IMO. I definitely felt something different when throwing to a 6-6 receiver I had.

COACH GEEZY IN THE BIG EASY PART III: LEGACY | FROM BOURBON ST. TO THE BAYOU

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »