Home

Tips for scouting linebackers in CFM?

This is a discussion on Tips for scouting linebackers in CFM? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 01-13-2015, 04:43 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Tips for scouting linebackers in CFM?

I've had good luck scouting most positions in the draft, but finding quality OLBs and MLBs consistently has been tricky for me. Do any of you have any key attributes that you look for first to find the best LBs? And what different attributes do you look for in 3-4 linebackers vs 4-3 linebackers?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2015, 05:03 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Tips for scouting linebackers in CFM?

I've only drafted a MLB in a 4-3 scheme so far (although I've scouted much more, and the MLB I drafted is currently playing OLB due to need), so my experience is rather limited. My approach was slightly different if I needed an instant starter or a development project:

starter: in no particular order, strength, speed, block shedding, hit power, tackling, and play recognition
development project: strength, speed, hit power.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:28 PM   #3
Rookie

Look for "A" speed and "A" hit power when scouting.. Those guys are most likely "Prototype" player types, whether they're an OLB or MLB.

If you are lucky, they could be as high as 91 speed and have 93 hit power(rare, but I've seen it), straight out of the draft. Even though their OVR may be low, they usually play amazing on the field(non-sim), especially if they are a 3-4 OLB!

The things to upgrade first(that are keeping their OVR low) are block shedding, awareness and play recognition, which coincidentally are the easiest to raise, XP-wise. Beats drafting a game-ready, "B" intangible, but 80 speed guy and trying his whole career to bring him to 85-88 speed. Stay away from low potential guys at LB..

Give me two seasons and I can turn a young,(prefer them to be 20 or 21 at draft) mid-60's OVR prototype linebacker into a mid-90's OVR linebacker, still with plenty of room for improvement. I know, I've done it plenty of times before(at both MLB and OLB).

Last edited by EarthboundMysfit; 01-13-2015 at 05:41 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:29 PM   #4
MVP

Godgers12's Arena

Scout speed 1st, if it's not an 'A' forget him and move on. Especially if we're talking online here. There are about 10 'A' speed LB's per draft, so don't put your self at a disadvantage by drafting a 'B' speed bum. From there scout the things that are important to you like; hit, zcv, prc, bsh, str, pmv/fmv, ect. I have found that LB is by far the easiest position to find studs at. I drafted a 34 OLB who was a projected 6th round pick, who came in with 91 spd 88 str, 85 bsh, 90 hit, 81 ovr and quick development. I drafted him 10th overall after trading up in my online franchise, and he is simply amazing. I have him and Cornelius Washington (91 str 99 bsh 86 spd) at OLB and they each had 20+ sacks, I also have JJ Watt at DE who recorded 12 sacks him self. Need less to say, people hate playing me, because they will likely have to invest in a backup QB after the game.

Last edited by Godgers12; 01-13-2015 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:52 AM   #5
Rookie

Richie71's Arena

I've got a very different approach from the above. Speed is almost irrelevant for players who will be making most tackles within 10 yards of their starting point.
Key attributes are:
Play recognition: to have some clue what's happening in front of them.
Pursuit: This is key for chasing down plays. It's the players with these two ratings that will chase down plays, not the speed guy who didn't react.
Block shedding to get off the blocks.
Speed has a place, and you need at least one fast LB as your dime linebacker.
After the above, then: acceleration, agility, man and zone coverage. Strength, but only to a point. Your linkebackers shouldn't be holding up the point of attack. Better to get off the block and make a tackle.

If you're looking for 3-4 OLBs, then the criteria are more like DEs. Pass rush moves ahead of coverage ratings, acceleration ahead of pursuit.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2015, 09:37 AM   #6
MVP

Hiro1's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie71
I've got a very different approach from the above. Speed is almost irrelevant for players who will be making most tackles within 10 yards of their starting point.
Key attributes are:
Play recognition: to have some clue what's happening in front of them.
Pursuit: This is key for chasing down plays. It's the players with these two ratings that will chase down plays, not the speed guy who didn't react.
Block shedding to get off the blocks.
Speed has a place, and you need at least one fast LB as your dime linebacker.
After the above, then: acceleration, agility, man and zone coverage. Strength, but only to a point. Your linkebackers shouldn't be holding up the point of attack. Better to get off the block and make a tackle.

If you're looking for 3-4 OLBs, then the criteria are more like DEs. Pass rush moves ahead of coverage ratings, acceleration ahead of pursuit.
I run a 3-4 and couldn't have said it better. I don't need my Mlbs to run a 100 mph, I need them to diagnose and react as quick as possible. There for Play recognition and pursuit ARE a priority.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:05 AM   #7
Rookie

TheDominator273's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro1
I run a 3-4 and couldn't have said it better. I don't need my Mlbs to run a 100 mph, I need them to diagnose and react as quick as possible. There for Play recognition and pursuit ARE a priority.
Both of which are cheap upgrades. I'll take the fast linebacker with lower play recognition any day. Speed kills especially in online leagues where everyone is building fast offenses, having fast linebackers let's you play base defense more because your linebackers can keep up with the receivers better.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:21 AM   #8
Pro

BreakingBad2013's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo
I've had good luck scouting most positions in the draft, but finding quality OLBs and MLBs consistently has been tricky for me. Do any of you have any key attributes that you look for first to find the best LBs? And what different attributes do you look for in 3-4 linebackers vs 4-3 linebackers?
Check my sig, its a blog on OS, has great scouting tips.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »