Home

Who was the team of the 70's?

This is a discussion on Who was the team of the 70's? within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 11-17-2014, 10:36 AM   #1
Sitting by the door

Dice's Arena

OVR: 21
Who was the team of the 70's?

Every decade of the NBA has established a dominate team in the decade. Here is the following that I've come up with:

00's - Lakers
90's - Bulls
80's - Lakers
70's - ????
60's - Celtics

Now what team can one fill in the 70's slot?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2014, 10:56 AM   #2
Outback Jesus

OSUFan_88's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: Who was the team of the 70's?

Well, it was a lot of parity in the NBA at that time, but I think you could say pretty clearly that the Knicks and Lakers were the two best teams, although I'd lean towards the Knicks in this era.

Urban Meyer is lol.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:02 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 25

The 72 Lakers were the best single year team of that decade. They could do everything (bang, finesse, run, rebound, shoot). I would call them the most versatile team ever. Maybe the best team ever.

The Knicks of 70 and 73 were the smartest team ever. They were masters of timing and ball movement. Their weaknesses? Lack of team speed and size on the front line.

Last edited by AlexBrady; 11-17-2014 at 08:10 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:10 AM   #4
Sitting by the door

Dice's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrady
The 72 Lakers were the best single year team of that decade. They could do everything (bang, finesse, run, rebound, shoot). I would call them the most versatile team ever. Maybe the best team ever.

The Knicks of 70 and 73 were the smartest team ever. They were masters of timing and ball movement. Their weaknesses? Lack of team speed and size on the front line.
So who was the most successful franchise in the 70's? You mentioned the Knicks, who won 2 championships during the 70's. The Celtics also won two championships in the 70's as well.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:44 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice
So who was the most successful franchise in the 70's? You mentioned the Knicks, who won 2 championships during the 70's. The Celtics also won two championships in the 70's as well.
It isn't quite that simple. If we're talking about the most enduring dynasty then Russell's Celtics would be the team of the 60s. But for a single year I believe the 67 Sixers were the best team of that time.

I believe the 72 Lakers would easily beat both the Old Knicks and the Hondo/Cowens Celtics in a best of seven series. Yes, they are my pick for the team of the 70s.

Last edited by AlexBrady; 11-18-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-21-2014, 01:53 PM   #6
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

What was there, 7 or 8 teams to win a Championship in the 70's I think, so I would say there was no actual team of the 70's, as that was the most parity Id say any sport has ever seen during such a stretch.

Would love to see the NBA get back to having parity like there was back in the 70's. Probably wont ever see that again, but it would be great, I much rather enjoy seeing several teams capable of winning, that just a handful each year.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 12-17-2014, 06:28 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseIH
What was there, 7 or 8 teams to win a Championship in the 70's I think, so I would say there was no actual team of the 70's, as that was the most parity Id say any sport has ever seen during such a stretch.

Would love to see the NBA get back to having parity like there was back in the 70's. Probably wont ever see that again, but it would be great, I much rather enjoy seeing several teams capable of winning, that just a handful each year.
I agree with this, there wasn't one team of the decade. At the time, my friends & I thought Philly would be "that team" once they acquired Dr. J, but it never happened.

The 70s gets a bad rap because of the drug issue, league violence (the Kermit Washington/Rudy T incident) and low TV ratings. But I loved the 70s - it was the last time my Knicks won anything. Plus we had the ABA, the Doctor, Bucks vs. Celtics in '74, Rick Barry in '75, Game 5 of the '76 Finals (greatest playoff game in NBA history), Bill Walton and the Blazers' amazing playoff run in '77, and those wonderful Sonic teams to close the decade.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:31 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

71 bucks were pretty good too.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »