Home

The bumpback animation. Your thoughts?

This is a discussion on The bumpback animation. Your thoughts? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-17-2014, 09:27 AM   #1
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6
The bumpback animation. Your thoughts?

I like the fact the devs dont want us marching into the paint whenever we want.

But surely there has to be a better way than this. The animation has been in for ...how many years...5? 6? 7?

It looks terrible, and can just kill a possession.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2014, 09:39 AM   #2
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: The bumpback animation. Your thoughts?

2K11 was where 'bumping' was probably at it's worst, but it seems like 2k11'a on ball defense is praised more than any other installment. Still, it felt like defenders were glued to you.

It's been toned down a lot since then...and I actually like where it's at now. It allows you to play the anticipation game. Only issue is that offensive players can often turbo past it where in 2k11 they would be forced to pass or lose the ball. It's a necessary evil IMO. We just need a happy medium.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:42 AM   #3
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

It's not that bad...I actually feel that it needs more bumping around the paint.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:52 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

Does this include the animation where you are running alongside a player on a fast break... then you get too close... get bumped and stop in a single step? That's probably the animation that gets on my nerves the most.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:00 AM   #5
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

The one where the offensive player passes the ball and your defense bounces back has to go
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2014, 12:32 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 3

VERY subtle bumping is alright, but the bumping as it is should be called fouls and be used with terrible defenders and big men. There should be no animation that haults a ball-handler unless contact with the defender is square in the chest.

Other wise contact should be represented with completely inturruptible shoulder and hip riding animations to take angles away rather than over-power the ball-handler with collisions.

Czar said they want to get people accustomed to going around defenders rather than through, which I love. I think much quicker hip turning animations with the speed tied to the "lateral quickness" rating would help as well.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:29 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 0

The bump back when you're not in front of who you're defending so you bounce off him needs to be fixed.

The bump when you run in the paint needs to be increased so it also effects you when you start a driving layup/dunk. You or the CPU shouldn't just be able to start a drive and go into an animation that blows through every body.

The game at the moment is a dunk fest. I really hope its tuned at least for next year. It's corny, it ruins dunking as its so common it doesn't feel rewarding and it's unrealistic. Need momentum or guaranteed 2 points? Just posterize and 80% of the time your animation will win.

That's my $.02
Old 11-17-2014, 02:09 PM   #8
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10

-Hate the fastbreak catch from behind hip ride to stop animation. It is clearly a foul and just so unrealistic
-Hate the defense bumpback animation to allow players to "win" the animation while performing moves in close proximity. That is the reason I am in your face so you can't perform certain moves without a penalty.
-We still have some Mario running where contact should have occurred. We need more contact points and contact that triggers contact layups after initial contact. They need to motion capture many more contextual contact layups or introduce more physics. I think they will go motion capture route.

2K11 prior to patch was one of the worst because it had mirroring on ball defense and that bump back animation. Post patch was much better.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »