Home

Pro difficulty too hard?

This is a discussion on Pro difficulty too hard? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 11-02-2014, 06:10 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Pro difficulty too hard?

What is it with Pro difficulty this year?

I started with Pro/Sim and switched back to Pro/default, which is the recommended setting when you start the game for the first time. And I can't win. I can't even keep the CPU opponent under 120 points per game. My games end about 125 -115 for the CPU.

Now my question is: Why make the CPU so unstoppable on the second easiest difficulty level? The CPU plays almost perfect. On offense I see three options: The CPU makes the shot, or gets the offensive rebound, or gets a foul call. And what I don't see are mistakes or turnovers or that my CPU teammates do anything against it. I haven't had one game where the CPU had more than 5 turnovers. Again: This is Pro difficulty!

Of course the easy answer for all this could be that I'm a lousy player, a moron etc. I was thinking that,too. But then I saw that other people seem to have similar problems. Armor & Sword made a "average Joe" slider set that gives the user an advantage over the CPU, on Pro difficulty. WTF?

This is Pro difficulty: I mean a average person should be able to just start the game and should not get frustrated even if he wants to play with the Bucks or the 76ers. If it's too easy there are three more difficulty levels for more challenge.

Are these thoughts completely wrong? Or are there people out there feeling the same?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-02-2014, 06:40 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Pro difficulty too hard?

Pro assumes you are going to do all of the 'little' things NBA players are expected to know and do. Examples:

• Boxing out for rebounds
  • Not reaching defensively, just stay on your feet and in front of the opponent
  • Make play-calling adjustments on defense just enough to force the computer to make adjustments
  • Offensively, actually allow plays to run instead of free-styling. Free-styling may work against humans, CPU is too organized.
  • Be mindful that shooting sliders are the same for both CPU and Human; which is misleading. CPU only knows perfection, we can only assume what the game's programming calls perfect. Humans have to be concerned with timing\release; CPU doesn't.
  • Go in to practice mode and play 5 on 5. After all, NBA teams do practice too.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:18 AM   #3
Rookie

I literally learned how to play basic level basketball with this game and I was glad the default difficulty didn't baby me because it forced me to learn.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:09 AM   #4
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

I understand what you're saying . You want the game to be a little more pick and play . Try pro ******
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 11-02-2014, 10:33 AM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRoad
What is it with Pro difficulty this year?

I started with Pro/Sim and switched back to Pro/default, which is the recommended setting when you start the game for the first time. And I can't win. I can't even keep the CPU opponent under 120 points per game. My games end about 125 -115 for the CPU.

Now my question is: Why make the CPU so unstoppable on the second easiest difficulty level? The CPU plays almost perfect. On offense I see three options: The CPU makes the shot, or gets the offensive rebound, or gets a foul call. And what I don't see are mistakes or turnovers or that my CPU teammates do anything against it. I haven't had one game where the CPU had more than 5 turnovers. Again: This is Pro difficulty!

Of course the easy answer for all this could be that I'm a lousy player, a moron etc. I was thinking that,too. But then I saw that other people seem to have similar problems. Armor & Sword made a "average Joe" slider set that gives the user an advantage over the CPU, on Pro difficulty. WTF?

This is Pro difficulty: I mean a average person should be able to just start the game and should not get frustrated even if he wants to play with the Bucks or the 76ers. If it's too easy there are three more difficulty levels for more challenge.

Are these thoughts completely wrong? Or are there people out there feeling the same?

Bro...what?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-02-2014, 10:33 AM   #6
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

OVR: 2
Pro difficulty too hard?

When I first started playing the game in 2k11 I started on pro default using the lakers. I played a whole season and won the championship.

The first 15-20 games I struggled some and eventually learned how to win on pro and you'll prob do the same.

Also remember that rookie level is available. I still play on rookie for fun.

On pro, if you have three point shooters, that's open all day long most of the time.

You didn't say what team you used, but use a good one when you first start it makes it easier to learn the game.

Start with the pick and roll as your main play or pick one or two plays to run each time down until you master them.
Then expand from there.

To watch a fictional MyLeague expansion series with more than 90 episodes click here.

Subscribe to Coach2K's YouTube channel by clicking here.

Visit Coach2K.com for my latest articles.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:41 AM   #7
Rookie

i have not played this series in 5 or more years. Its changed a lot. I started on all star level and its been tough sledding for me.

I use the cavs and can not get inside shots to fall to save my life. i post up love and make a great move only to have the shot not fall. its extremely frustrating. I also cant seem to drive the lane with Kyrie or Lebron. i dont know if its the isomotion moves i am trying to use or what, but the defense will clamp down at the first sign of a drive towards the lane.

on defense i cant seem to stop the easy layups. plus the CPU seems to shoot lights out most of the game.

i think my biggest issue is that i suck...anyone have any tips?
Old 11-02-2014, 02:04 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard46
i have not played this series in 5 or more years. Its changed a lot. I started on all star level and its been tough sledding for me.

I use the cavs and can not get inside shots to fall to save my life. i post up love and make a great move only to have the shot not fall. its extremely frustrating. I also cant seem to drive the lane with Kyrie or Lebron. i dont know if its the isomotion moves i am trying to use or what, but the defense will clamp down at the first sign of a drive towards the lane.

on defense i cant seem to stop the easy layups. plus the CPU seems to shoot lights out most of the game.

i think my biggest issue is that i suck...anyone have any tips?
At least on defense, All-Star is the first level where you really need to start switching players in order to gain the user bonus for contesting a shot, to counter the slightly boosted ratings of the CPU. The best way I play defense on AS and Superstar is change the automatic shot contest option to Intense D, which means it will contest any shot while I'm holding the left trigger. Then in gameplay, when I see a shot animation (including layups/dunks) starting I switch onto the ball and hold that trigger without jumping and I usually get a hand in the shooter's face. Of course some go in, but I feel like I'm actually influencing the outcome this way.

Agree with the post in response to the OP about switching to Pro ****** if Pro Sim is too much. You do have to work for an open shot to play well on pro sim - the lowered shooting sliders dictate that.

Last edited by bcruise; 11-02-2014 at 02:35 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »