Home

My Carrer mode really should stop assuming you're a star from the start.

This is a discussion on My Carrer mode really should stop assuming you're a star from the start. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-23-2014, 12:18 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
My Carrer mode really should stop assuming you're a star from the start.

Everywhere from your own player's comments, to the announcer's comments, to the grading system of the mode itself acts like you're already or shortly destined to be the next coming of Lebron, even if that's far from the actual truth.

I'm currently a 68 rated OVR bench guy, who mainly concentrates on being a good teammate and since I enjoy the challenge I play on the higher difficulties. Thus, I'm lucky to score in double figures in a given game, and instead I just contribute wherever I can during my limited minutes. But time after time I hear the announcers talking about how I'm having a subpar game as if I'm supposed to be the team leader and not a role player. I can play 15 minutes off the bench, get an A teammate grade and put up 10 points and 5 assists, yet the game grades my performance "poor" or "fair"- even if it's my best of the season!

This mode could do a much better job being consistent for the players who either can't or don't want to put up 40 every game and just want to play their role. Does anyone else agree?

Last edited by kadzier; 10-23-2014 at 01:34 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2014, 12:41 PM   #2
Rookie

dvazquez190's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: My Carrer mode really should stop assuming you're a star from the start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadzier
Everywhere from your own player's comments, to the announcer's comments, to the grading system of the mode itself acts like you're already or shortly destined to be the next coming of Lebron, even if that's far from the actual truth.

I'm currently a 68 rated OVR bench guy, who mainly concentrates on being a good teammate and since I enjoy the challenge I play on the higher difficulties. This, I'm lucky to score in double figures in a given game, and instead I just contribute wherever I can during my limited minutes. But time after time I hear the announcers talking about how I'm having a subpar game as if I'm supposed to be the team leader and not a role player. I can play 15 minutes off the bench, get an A teammate grade and put up 10 points and 5 assists, yet the game grades my performance "poor" or "fair"- even if it's my best of the season!

This mode could do a much better job being consistent for the players who either can't or don't want to put up 40 every game and just want to play their role. Does anyone else agree?
This is my biggest gripe with MyCareer (well besides not being able to edit sliders). If I want to be a role player the game should allow me to be a role player. At least until My overall goes up and I can help my team more. I like being a role player early on. Not just for the first 20 games but for the First Season. Let me get a season under my belt. A realistic first season should have you finish in the low to mid 70's. Finish as a solid rotation guy. Then next year you can improve.

I find you achieve everything so fast that the mode becomes boring. You establish yourself so quickly.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:47 PM   #3
That's top class!

extremeskins04's Arena

OVR: 1

I agree. This mode while it can be fun kinda takes the immersion away from you because of the stardom from the very start when you make your player. I made a SF and picked the Pelicans and I understand that because I'm an SF that I'm going to be guarding Lebron and KD, but honestly they should have me guarding someone else.

But nonetheless, I guard KD and am able to block him, steal the ball from him and force him to miss shots. There's no way at 69 OVR that I should be able to do that. I know it's a game and I understand 2k wants to try to make MyPlayer fun, but thats not fun to me because it kills the immersion.

Many people will probably disagree and say "You're a SF, of course you're guarding KD"...but I disagree...if a PF or SG has better peri D then they should be guarding him.

Just saying. This mode needs a ton of work.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:31 PM   #4
Pro

Yes, the fact that the game totally ignores your defensive ratings when assigning you your matchup sucks too. Coaches in the real NBA shift around defensive assignments all the time. I'd love it if my coach had to "hide" me by putting me on another role player instead of the opposing star because my defense sucked. That is way more realistic than "go out and check KD for a quarter, new undrafted really slow rookie"
Old 10-23-2014, 01:39 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 2

I haven't really played that much into the mode(outside of 4 or 5 games) but from watching a couple of Chris Smoove videos, I've seen that somehow, an undrafted freeagent all of a sudden takes over Rubio's starting position. If you are going to go the undrafted route, at least make it realistic. The only way an undrafted guy should start at all is if one of the starters go down to injury etc, and even then you really shouldn't. Obviously the one exception are the 76ers of course, but still. Kind of ridiculous if you ask me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2014, 01:47 PM   #6
Banned

Klayups's Arena

It's a hard balance between making a mode for someone who wants to be the next LeBron and someone who wants the ultra sim, grind it out/"realistic" route to an NBA career.

In all honesty, MLB The Show team gets it right with their RTTS mode, perfectly right.

They let the well balanced difficulty levels be what challenges you.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:08 PM   #7
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klayups
It's a hard balance between making a mode for someone who wants to be the next LeBron and someone who wants the ultra sim, grind it out/"realistic" route to an NBA career.

In all honesty, MLB The Show team gets it right with their RTTS mode, perfectly right.

I think they just need to have variety. Right now the story in the mode is one size fits all, and it forces you to play to their scripted role, rather than the story conforming to how you want to play.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:25 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klayups

YES, this is so true. I've played RTTS and I have to say it is far and away the best pro career simulation in sports games-- and I say this as not even a huge baseball fan!

If you tear it up in the minors you can be promoted to the bigs and the starting lineup in no time flat. Or if you struggle at first while trying to learn the ropes your progression curve is much more gradual, and you slowly improve before finally snagging that spot on the end of the roster. All I want is an NBA career mode with as much polish and depth as RTTS. The cutscenes and stuff are nice and all but in the end it's just fluff; the actual route of your progression is really shallow.

Or hell if they can't even do it like that just give us an "instant starter" option like madden and please both sides-- players who want to earn their job and players who just want to jump into the NBA.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »