Home

MyGM newbie questions

This is a discussion on MyGM newbie questions within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-17-2014, 04:58 PM   #1
MVP

canucksss's Arena

OVR: 13
MyGM newbie questions

I bought 2k14 but didnt play myGM because of the VC issues and I AM GLAD that 2k removed it. I am so intrigue with this mode, and I believe it is safe to say that this mode alone 2K deserves at least the nomination for Best Sports Game for 2014 if not win that award.

Anyhow, someone posted this in another thread but he cant create a new thread and I find these questions great ones. (from flo182)

I cant create a thread (dont really know why, maybe because I'm new) but can someone please create one for general MyGM Questions.

I have lots of questions about this mode which I cant find the answer to, neither in the game nor online.

1) What kind of points do I need for those Marketing Campaigns my CFO can run? Seems like I spent them all but I have no Idea where they come from, where I can see how much I've got and how to get new ones.

2) What exactly is Team Image? Seems important to my Owner and even though I'm winning, my team chemistry is good and I'm making some profit my Team Image suffers. How can I influence that part?

3) Player Development
Any tips? I started with the T-Wolves and have lots of potential in the roster but it seems like my players wont grow even though I'm playing them a lot and my team is doing alright.

Is it bad if I choose some special areas for my players to develop? Cause it seems to me like it is. I told Rubio to work on his 3pt shot, his shot-iq etc. and he went from 80 to 78 Overall.

His ratings in nearly every department are going way down while his Shooting abilities merely go up.

4) Training Intensity
This feature seems to be a bit buggy. One day players tell me its way too much, next day they're completely rested. There is no balance at all when it comes to Season-Fatigue (it should be a progress which goes on for months and shouldnt go from 90% to 15% two days later). And because of that Players want me to change the intensity like 3 times a week.

I would really appreciate some explanations/tips for these things.
Didnt play 2k14 myGM last year and I really love this mode so far in 2k15, but some things seem to be either buggy or just not really logical.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2014, 06:03 PM   #2
Rookie

flo182's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MyGM newbie questions

Thanks for creating the thread

This mode is so much fun, especially with the great simcast feature. Really hope they work out the few problems that exist with a patch, especially the Training Intensity / Broken Promise thing which seems to be broken.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:35 PM   #3
MVP

canucksss's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo182
Thanks for creating the thread

This mode is so much fun, especially with the great simcast feature. Really hope they work out the few problems that exist with a patch, especially the Training Intensity / Broken Promise thing which seems to be broken.
YES totally I agree with you. Most in-depth mode ever in sports I played in the past (beating CH 2k8 by a long mile).

Are you playing the actual basketball game? I am just curious, in this mode, i just totally play as the GM/Coach and not playing the actual basketball game. I am using with SIMcast. This way, it is faster and still exercise some "basketball wisdom" in the game.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:37 PM   #4
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksss
1) What kind of points do I need for those Marketing Campaigns my CFO can run? Seems like I spent them all but I have no Idea where they come from, where I can see how much I've got and how to get new ones.
You get an allotment of points at the start of the season, based on the promotions budget you set.

Quote:
2) What exactly is Team Image? Seems important to my Owner and even though I'm winning, my team chemistry is good and I'm making some profit my Team Image suffers. How can I influence that part?
I'll get back to you on that next week, don't remember off the top of my head.

Quote:
3) Player Development
Any tips? I started with the T-Wolves and have lots of potential in the roster but it seems like my players wont grow even though I'm playing them a lot and my team is doing alright.

Is it bad if I choose some special areas for my players to develop? Cause it seems to me like it is. I told Rubio to work on his 3pt shot, his shot-iq etc. and he went from 80 to 78 Overall.

His ratings in nearly every department are going way down while his Shooting abilities merely go up.
Unless you want a player to exclusively spend some time working on an area you want to develop more than anything (because he's not good enough or because you want to develop a lethal weapon in his skill-set), you don't want to select a specific skill. Rather, I recommend that you go by player type. Press Y/Triangle on "By Player Type" and select the kind of player you want him to be, and he'll slowly develop the skills required to be that kind of player. Training a specific skill can be much more efficient, but it works to the detriment of other skills, so use it sparingly and only for short stints.

Quote:
4) Training Intensity
This feature seems to be a bit buggy. One day players tell me its way too much, next day they're completely rested. There is no balance at all when it comes to Season-Fatigue (it should be a progress which goes on for months and shouldnt go from 90% to 15% two days later). And because of that Players want me to change the intensity like 3 times a week.
There's a lot of factors that go into this, for example:
- The game schedule, and how many practices it allows. Games are really intensive on a player's body, so high intensity practices in weeks with lots of games can really tire players.
- A player's personality, specifically his work ethic. Players with high work ethic will want to be in the gym more than others, so you might have two players with completely different opinions on the same training regiment, so try to personalize training.

I think you're exaggerating when saying players want you to completely change the training regiment every 3 days, but yes, different stints of the schedule might see the players change their opinion of the current training completely if you're not adjusting it.

Season fatigue is fatigue accumulated progressively. A rest day can do a lot for a player, and to keep players from being exhausted all the time we tuned it to be more forgiving when resting. A progressive fatigue system that accumulates over months in smaller increments would be a different approach, but we wanted to go with something more obvious for this year. We can explore different approaches for the future, so we welcome the feedback.

P.S.: I've said this before and I'll say it again. Players will complain. You can't please everyone, nor is this the point of the mode. Sometimes you'll have to put your foot down and show them who's boss and that they'll have to follow your plan and vision for the team. If you know your players and put your foot down the right way depending on each one's personality, they'll more often than not respect that and let you be for a while.
Novato, CA, USA

Last edited by Leftos; 10-18-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:48 PM   #5
MVP

wordtobigbird's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftos
- A player's personality, specifically his work ethic. Players with high work ethic will want to be in the gym more than others, so you might have two players with completely different opinions on the same training regiment, so try to personalize training.

I think you're exaggerating when saying players want you to completely change the training regiment every 3 days, but yes, different stints of the schedule might see the players change their opinion of the current training completely if you're not adjusting it.

P.S.: I've said this before and I'll say it again. Players will complain. You can't please everyone, nor is this the point of the mode. Sometimes you'll have to put your foot down and show them who's boss and that they'll have to follow your plan and vision for the team. If you know your players and put your foot down the right way depending on each one's personality, they'll more often than not respect that and let you be for a while.
Thanks for the answers!

How do we check our players personalities? I see the friendly badge on some of my players but I don't see anything about work ethic. I'm sure I'm just not looking in the right place.

Here's a tip for those having issues with intensity and pleasing players. Set player intensity individually. I had teague get an injury so i set him to Low. Once he got healthy again he complained about not enough intensity. Some guys complain and I put them on very high and then turn it down to high. I wouldn't say it's broken. You have to learn your players and what intensity is right for them. I think it's great depth. Can't just come in and perfectly run a team.

I did one season with mostly SimCast as the Hawks. No major moves. I got the team to beat the 39 loss goal by one game so we made the playoffs. Got passed the first round. I LOVE the effect the gameplans have in realtime with simcast. I can't wait to get better on the sticks and play the games out haha.

Oh and the Hornets beat the Cavs in the east and won the finals over the Trailblazers. Thought that was pretty wild.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2014, 02:51 PM   #6
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer

You're looking at the right place. If you're not seeing any work ethic related badges, then that player has average work ethic, nothing too special about it to warrant a badge.
Novato, CA, USA
Old 10-18-2014, 03:20 PM   #7
MVP

canucksss's Arena

THANK YOU SO MUCH LEFTOS for answering these questions.

(i hope you guys will make 2kNHL again....ur MyGM/myLeague is SUPERB ....chuckle )

Last edited by canucksss; 10-18-2014 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:10 PM   #8
Chi-Town Hustla

deebo2246's Arena

OVR: 10

How do you change the rotation minutes and roles in my gm and my league? I can't seem to find it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »