Home

So I'm absolutely terrible at this game....

This is a discussion on So I'm absolutely terrible at this game.... within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-14-2014, 07:55 PM   #1
Rookie

creamsodaboy's Arena

OVR: 3
So I'm absolutely terrible at this game....

Any tips that you guys would like to give me on how to find success?

Long story short, I am fairly new to the game of hockey. I've only been a casual follower for the past year, and am very unfamiliar with hockey terminology, offensive and defensive strategies, things like that.

I have attempted to play some HUT games because I love the game mode, but I am getting DESTROYED online. I then switched to some play now games, yet still can't figure out how to be successful. I'll get a goal every once in a blue moon, but for the most part opponents are puttying up 3-4 goals a game.

Any help is appreciated!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2014, 08:05 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 8
Re: So I'm absolutely terrible at this game....

Stick to College Football and leave NHL for the pros. Tired of online ruined by garbage players like you
Old 10-14-2014, 08:17 PM   #3
Rookie

creamsodaboy's Arena

OVR: 3

Seriously man? I come here looking for a little help, that's it. There's no reason to be a jerk about things.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:32 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamsodaboy
Any tips that you guys would like to give me on how to find success?

Long story short, I am fairly new to the game of hockey. I've only been a casual follower for the past year, and am very unfamiliar with hockey terminology, offensive and defensive strategies, things like that.

I have attempted to play some HUT games because I love the game mode, but I am getting DESTROYED online. I then switched to some play now games, yet still can't figure out how to be successful. I'll get a goal every once in a blue moon, but for the most part opponents are puttying up 3-4 goals a game.

Any help is appreciated!
I can relate. Bought my first NHL game back in 09 and didn't have a clue. (I don't play online though)

By watching real games and lots of practice in practice mode, I got better.

As for strategies--- I can't really explain those. I set different strategies for each line I use and stick with those that work.

My advice---- play as much offline as you can to get better. Be careful who you play online as there are cheesers galore who will make you look bad. (Which is why I don't play online)
Old 10-14-2014, 08:36 PM   #5
Rookie

Nicker_Bopper's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoAwesome
Stick to College Football and leave NHL for the pros. Tired of online ruined by garbage players like you
No reason to act like this. If you have nothing helpful to say, don't say anything at all.

To answer your question sodaboy, I would say your best bet is to go into practice mode and spend a good amount of time in there. Get a handle for all of the moves (dekes and shots) that can be made. If you get on YouTube, you can find a few videos on there that break down specific dekes and scoring strategies that you can try.

After that, try some play now games on the easiest level. It will seem like a joke, but at least your can get a feel for the game with a team aspect. As far as I know, there isn't any practice situations where you can do a 5 on 5 practice. As you get used to it, bump up the difficulty levels step by step.

As for online, I would stay away from that until you get a better handle on the game. Most of the guys on there have a lot of experience with NHL, and most likely will continue to easily beat you until you get a better understanding offline.

Hope this helps.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2014, 09:16 PM   #6
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicker_Bopper
No reason to act like this. If you have nothing helpful to say, don't say anything at all.

To answer your question sodaboy, I would say your best bet is to go into practice mode and spend a good amount of time in there. Get a handle for all of the moves (dekes and shots) that can be made. If you get on YouTube, you can find a few videos on there that break down specific dekes and scoring strategies that you can try.

After that, try some play now games on the easiest level. It will seem like a joke, but at least your can get a feel for the game with a team aspect. As far as I know, there isn't any practice situations where you can do a 5 on 5 practice. As you get used to it, bump up the difficulty levels step by step.

As for online, I would stay away from that until you get a better handle on the game. Most of the guys on there have a lot of experience with NHL, and most likely will continue to easily beat you until you get a better understanding offline.

Hope this helps.
I just got the game today. How do you win a faceoff?
Old 10-14-2014, 09:25 PM   #7
Rookie

Nicker_Bopper's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
There's a really good video I watched when I started playing a couple years ago. Let me see if the guy has done any updates for this year's version.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:29 PM   #8
Rookie

Nicker_Bopper's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
Here it is. Try this out and see if it helps. Timing is everything for faceoffs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftfeh7fww_0

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »