Home

#1 WR in Slot

This is a discussion on #1 WR in Slot within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-14-2014, 12:50 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
#1 WR in Slot

A lot of playbooks have formations with your #1 wideout in the slot. I seem to run into users using these formations a lot to get optimal matchups away from my #1 CB. Just wondering what strategies you guys are using on defense to play against this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2014, 01:33 PM   #2
Pro

Re: #1 WR in Slot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheesHd09
A lot of playbooks have formations with your #1 wideout in the slot. I seem to run into users using these formations a lot to get optimal matchups away from my #1 CB. Just wondering what strategies you guys are using on defense to play against this.
For me, if I don't have time to change the play to my liking I'll user control (if it's man) and guard him assuming that's their #1 threat and go to guy. If it's zone, I try to guess which players zone his route goes through and use that player.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:53 PM   #3
Rookie

I've started immediately audibling to zones like you said. I wish Madden still have a matchup screen so your corner would stick on them no matter where they are

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2014, 05:05 PM   #4
Rookie

It still amazes me that an option that existed on the PS2 (assigning individual matchups) somehow skipped the last gen and next gen. The lack of this option renders man to man coverage useless as someone will just put their #1 receiver in the slot to be guarded by the #3 or #4 DB who is absolutely no match. I also don't know why more people aren't upset about it. Maybe the folks who play now are too young to remember the PS2....
Old 10-14-2014, 05:56 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheesHd09
I usually focus on that player in the slot as most likely they will target them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2014, 01:11 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 2

There are a bunch of reasons why the matchup thing was taken out of the game. It can really mess up your defense if certain players aren't on the field. For example, if you were in a 4-3 and they came out 4 wide and the CB 1 was matched up with a slot WR, a LB would have to go to the outside. Too many situations like this made that feature problematic. And also, most nfl teams don't shadow WR's anymore, most corners are responsible for a side.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:15 PM   #7
Banned

I do this, but I do it through the depth chart. Why? Because I use a bunch TE formation. Once the next roster update comes, I'll want to have Decker and Harvin on the same side. I run a lot of triangle reads, so no matter who I throw it to, they're almost guaranteed to make a play.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:22 PM   #8
Rookie

loungefly85's Arena

I don't necessarily put my #1 in the slot, but I always have my fastest WR there no matter where he is on the depth chart.

I like my #1 to be a possession mostly.

FYI... I only play offline so I'm not a cheeser.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »