Home

I will be providing factual evidence in this PS4 vs Xbox face scan debate...

This is a discussion on I will be providing factual evidence in this PS4 vs Xbox face scan debate... within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 10-09-2014, 10:25 AM   #1
Rookie

kiing 360's Arena

OVR: 0
Factual evidence in this PS4 vs Xbox face scan debate: Results are in. (Pics inside)

Sup my fellow frustrated NBA 2kers. I have been one of the 1000's who have been ridiculously frustrated with these face scan inconsistencies. I am an Xbox 1 and PS4 owner. Im mainly an X1 fan boy but I have both because I love to game. I have literally tried every scenario on X1 to aquire an accurate face scan with my best results coming in at 6,600 points of reference and two sets of every oriface. Ive tried everything from. Lamps, lights, white paper, chin up, chin out, standing up, sitting down, back drops, moving the camera, slow head turn, eye level, facing the window, away from the window, EVERYTHING! All with the same result of high points of refernence with "great" scans but two sets of eyes nose and mouth. I voice my opinion in some forums to the result of most people (mainly ps4 users) saying " how hard is it to follow instruction, clearly it is user error". NO. I consider myself a fairly competent person when dealing with electronics, especially gaming systems. Im convinced without a shadow of uncertainty that the problem lies within some users kinects. My experiment to end this Xbox vs PS face scan debate will go as follwed:

My plan since I am an owner of both systems is today rent or buy 2k15 for PS4 along with buying a Playstation eye. I will then set up all the proper lighting and backdrops, hop on X1 and scan my face for the 1000th time and most likley get the same mortal combat results. Then with the same exact lighting and set up, hop on ps4 and scan my face. I beleive the results from the PS4 will be substantially more accurate then that of my Xbox results. This should end the debate of user error amoungst most the xbox users since I will be taking scans with both cameras, in the exact same room and lighting scenario. It should hopefully shed some light on the fact that this could most likley be a Kinect issue.

If your interested in these reults check back at around 5pm EST, as I should have concluded and posted the results of this experiment. Hopefully all goes well and we can move forward from here.

Final results: Xbox one

This first pic is one of my 50 attempts on the Xbox 1, all with the same results no matter the lighting, background or distance my face was from the camera. As you can see i'm getting double eyes, nose and mouth.
20141009_162903.jpg

Final results: PS4

This pic is from my PS4 with the same lighting and same room as my attempts on Xbox one. As you can see the picture is flawless in respects to face alignment. I could try alot harder on lighting but that wasn't my main purpose in this experiment.

20141009_185225.jpg

My conclusions and final verdict:

Well its simple to tell from the two pictures and sad to admit but, PS4's camera and or software is far more reliable and superior to what ever is going on with the Xbox one and Kinect. I can not begin to tell you how many times Ive scanned my face on the kinect with the result coming out as shown, every time, no matter the lighting situation and or placement of the camera. The PS4 scan was accomplished on only My second scan.

I have concluded that where the problem lies in the Kinect is the green square in which you must place your face. upon booting up the PS4 scan I immediately noticed that the green box if reasonably larger then that of the Xbox one. There in lies the major problem for most. with the kinect I was unable to get any closer than about 18-20 inches away before the kinect would lose track of my face. With the PS4 camera I was able to get about 8-10 inches away from the camera with out it loosing track of my face. The first time I scanned on the PS4 I had the camera about 18 inches away, as i did the Kinect and the results came out similar to my Xbox results with the double orifices. I then scanned a second time with the PS4 camera out 8 inches away and the results are as you see...Near perfect.

So to conclude as I stated before, the problem lies with in the kinects software for most people, But not all which is strange. in my opinion Xbox needs to issue some sort of update to enlarge the size of the green box and or somehow allow for better face detection at closer range.

Spead the word fellas and hopefully enough important people will hear or see this post and make the nessicary changes for Xbox. Cause I for one cant stomach having to play on the PS4 for much longer. lol just kidding PS fanboys

Last edited by kiing 360; 10-09-2014 at 07:38 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-09-2014, 10:31 AM   #2
Banned

Re: I will be providing factual evidence in this PS4 vs Xbox face scan debate...

So... you're saying PS4 is the superior console?

Old 10-09-2014, 10:33 AM   #3
Rookie

kiing 360's Arena

Re: I will be providing factual evidence in this PS4 vs Xbox face scan debate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGSW
So... you're saying PS4 is the superior console?

Lol, I wouldnt say all that my friend, but in this instance it seems as if the PS4 camera is operating as its supposed to.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:35 AM   #4
Pro

CaCHooKa Man's Arena

OVR: 6

I feel like they've optimized it for the PS4 camera without taking into account the more advanced features of the Kinect camera. I've never gotten above 3000 reference points with my Kinect and the scans have been fairly accurate.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-2014, 10:36 AM   #5
Rookie

lilmikey201's Arena

Idk what your problem is mine worked perfect I have one window in my room. Opened that all tje way turned my light on. Got 2 small lamps on each side from the other room and it worked great. Had about 3500 pts
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-09-2014, 10:44 AM   #6

m1ke_nyc's Arena

OVR: 7

Op it has nothing to do with whether its better on kinect or PS4. I have yet to get a successful scan with my PS4 camera and like you I have tried so many different ways. I'm sure I will eventually get it. Dont plan on starting my career until opening night.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:49 AM   #7
Rookie

kiing 360's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmikey201
Idk what your problem is mine worked perfect I have one window in my room. Opened that all tje way turned my light on. Got 2 small lamps on each side from the other room and it worked great. Had about 3500 pts
Xbox or ps4? My debate isnt Necessarily that the kinect dosent work entirely but that its flawed in many aspects. What works for some isnt working for a majority
Old 10-09-2014, 10:52 AM   #8
Pro

OVR: 6

I spend like 30mins trying to get this darn thing to work. Green light means it work...red means iam out of the box but every time i turn my head...it isn't green anymore. I finally able to scan to 100% not totally accurate...and guess what? The scan comes out making me look like a white dude and i am not white...wtf

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »