Home

FIFA 15 Mentor Needed - Before I Get Relegated.

This is a discussion on FIFA 15 Mentor Needed - Before I Get Relegated. within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-02-2014, 05:03 PM   #1
Rookie

BradyBunch88's Arena

OVR: 2
FIFA 15 Mentor Needed - Before I Get Relegated.

I am awful at this game.

So I recently bought a Playstation 4 just for FIFA 15. I’ll buy other games too, but after hearing that “some features won’t be available for FIFA 15 on the PS3” I went out and bought a PS4.

So I don’t know if it’s the transition from PS3 to PS4. Or FIFA 14 to FIFA 15. But I am really struggling with this game and I desperately need some help.

The other thing is I used to play on the “Professional” difficulty level, I wanted to give myself a challenge in career mode, so I decided to play on “World Class”. I’ve been playing on “professional” since FIFA 10! And I usually win every game I play.
Now that I’m playing on “World Class” I usually lose every game.

I struggle making chances, creating build up play when attacking and when I do attack, the CPU is so smart the player slide tackles me so I lose the ball at my feet, unable to get the shot off.

Not only that but I usually concede from corners. And at the other end, I can’t score from corner kicks either.

Most of my mates play on “World Class” yet I play FIFA way more than they do - at least every night - but somehow when I play my mates, they annihilate me!

So I really need a mentor, someone who will be Ben Kenobi to my Luke Skywalker, Ra’s al Ghul to my Batman and Ronaldinho to my err Messi? Not sure about the last one.

Basically this is a cry for help before I get relegated to League One (I’m playing as Nottingham Forest).

Cheers guys.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2014, 05:26 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: FIFA 15 Mentor Needed - Before I Get Relegated.

I have played fifa since 95 and am always stuck between pro and worldclass too. Have to use a top team on wc to win regularly and still struggle than but improving...love the challenge though.

Figured i will roll with southampton as my clubs former coach koeman does now. I edit lineups before the career starts so expectations are low and i wont get fired. Usually i focus on patient possesion play and since i have the very slow but great heading Pelle i use the early cross a lot. Still learning but usually tight games which i lose or draw and occassionally win.

I know i should mess with sliders but it feels like cheating i cant bring myself to do it. I like to think that i will probably improve as i get further along in the game and my young players stats grow as well.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:38 PM   #3
MVP

wordtobigbird's Arena

OVR: 7

I'm definitely know Jedi Master at this game but I'll try to help you out since I'm feeling pretty good after a 7 game winning streak online lol.

Quote:
So I don’t know if it’s the transition from PS3 to PS4. Or FIFA 14 to FIFA 15. But I am really struggling with this game and I desperately need some help.
Theres definitely an adjustment to the feel of the game and the aiming imo. I made the jump from last gen to this gen with xbox one with this game too. I played the demo a bunch but that was it. One of the biggest differences is the movement is a lot less forgiving. If you sprint too much or even build up momentum in one direction it will be tough for you to switch quickly. Definitely not as quick as someone coming at you. So get use to how long it takes you to stop and slow down and turn and pretty much just move at all times.

Quote:
The other thing is I used to play on the “Professional” difficulty level, I wanted to give myself a challenge in career mode, so I decided to play on “World Class”. I’ve been playing on “professional” since FIFA 10! And I usually win every game I play.
Honestly, try going back to pro especially until you get use to it. I played two games on world class and draw and loss but it I missed a TON of shots. My shooting is bad. I'd play on world class until you start winning with 3 nil consistently even against good teams. Play on pro as if it was world class.

Quote:
I struggle making chances, creating build up play when attacking and when I do attack, the CPU is so smart the player slide tackles me so I lose the ball at my feet, unable to get the shot off.
I don't know how much of the controls you do or don't use but using L1 helps me a ton in build up attacking. I usually play with defensive alignment on the dpad so my guys hang back a little in case i lose the ball. so i use L1 to send players on runs and when im passing to send the player I passed with down the field. So I can make 3 quick passes and have 3 guys taking off or not pass to any of them and just send them all.

Use protect the ball, L2, to defend against tackles. You will get A LOT of foul calls when they get aggressive. A lot of the players I played were slide tackling and it gave me a few free kicks and 2 penalties. If you sprint the ball is so far off your feet its an easy target so dont sprint. When the defenders get close to you use L2 and turn away from the defender and your player will position himself between the defender and the ball and get fouled or at least be in position to recover the ball if it got kicked away. Practice with the L2 and get use to pressing it to change direction for slide tackles and holding it when they are pressuring you with push/pull or trying to knock you off the ball.

I use to have a big problem getting the ball taken away from me as I was trying to shoot. One problem was I was using sprint in traffic so that extra touch made me take a couple too many steps before shooting. I read on here a bunch of tips about not sprinting so I slowed down when attacking and I hold possession and get shots off without a problem now. Use L2+L2 to face up dribble if you want to slow down and face the goal. Use L1 for small touches so you can quickly shoot whenever you decide to push the button.

Quote:
Not only that but I usually concede from corners. And at the other end, I can’t score from corner kicks either.
ALWAYS use Circle to defend air balls in the box. If you press the clearance button the players jump much higher and more aggressively to the ball. Another tip I saw online somewhere that works wonders. I yell it to my friend all the time. It saves me again and again. Get your player in front of the attack or at least near the yellow dot and press clearance right as the ball comes down and you will win a lot more than you use to.

Scoring them I can't help you with haha. I rarely ever get them. I can't get the timing down on the header to drive it in and whenever I do get a good one I usually hit the keeper or the defender standing next to him. I think you really just have to have some big guys down there to win it. If you dont, kick it outside at the edge of the box and youll usually outnumber the defenders out there and at least get possession to do something.

My biggest issue with corners is defending if I turn it over because your defenders are all trying to score headers. So I usually try to maintain possession most of all or kick it really close to the goalie.

Quote:
Most of my mates play on “World Class” yet I play FIFA way more than they do - at least every night - but somehow when I play my mates, they annihilate me!
Oh man nothing worse than that! I can't stand losing, especially to my friends! If you're getting annihilated I say focus on the basics all around and really just work your way up.

I'm still new to playing FIFA compared to you and most people. I started at 13 really. I love this game though and I really feel like the control is all in your hands to do well. I feel like this is a hard game. Especially compared to madden. FIFA is like a fight game where you have to know all the controls in and out to be really good. THEN you have to play smart soccer on the field. I love the balance of stick skills and strategy.

What I highly recommend is learning the new instructions you can give to each player. I started using them and it really changes the way they all play. If you instruct your midfielders/wingers to get back on defense they will do so much less standing around watching the play since its pass the half field. Also setting your attackers to press the back line gets some pressure on the defense so they cant so easily get into a dangerous area.

Decide your style of play and set it up and really practice it. Then make sure you have the team to use it haha. Or maybe you should pick the style based on the team. I use Arsenal so they have a bunch of good players but I'm new to the sport so I can dig the short safe passing game. I play to that style and have no problem beating people using real madrid so far at least against other new players.

If you have any specific questions I'd love to discuss more. I love trying to get better at the game and learning new things and new ways to play.

Last edited by wordtobigbird; 10-02-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:33 AM   #4
Rookie

BradyBunch88's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordtobigbird
I'm definitely know Jedi Master at this game but I'll try to help you out since I'm feeling pretty good after a 7 game winning streak online lol.

Theres definitely an adjustment to the feel of the game and the aiming imo. I made the jump from last gen to this gen with xbox one with this game too. I played the demo a bunch but that was it. One of the biggest differences is the movement is a lot less forgiving. If you sprint too much or even build up momentum in one direction it will be tough for you to switch quickly. Definitely not as quick as someone coming at you. So get use to how long it takes you to stop and slow down and turn and pretty much just move at all times.

Honestly, try going back to pro especially until you get use to it. I played two games on world class and draw and loss but it I missed a TON of shots. My shooting is bad. I'd play on world class until you start winning with 3 nil consistently even against good teams. Play on pro as if it was world class.

I don't know how much of the controls you do or don't use but using L1 helps me a ton in build up attacking. I usually play with defensive alignment on the dpad so my guys hang back a little in case i lose the ball. so i use L1 to send players on runs and when im passing to send the player I passed with down the field. So I can make 3 quick passes and have 3 guys taking off or not pass to any of them and just send them all.

Use protect the ball, L2, to defend against tackles. You will get A LOT of foul calls when they get aggressive. A lot of the players I played were slide tackling and it gave me a few free kicks and 2 penalties. If you sprint the ball is so far off your feet its an easy target so dont sprint. When the defenders get close to you use L2 and turn away from the defender and your player will position himself between the defender and the ball and get fouled or at least be in position to recover the ball if it got kicked away. Practice with the L2 and get use to pressing it to change direction for slide tackles and holding it when they are pressuring you with push/pull or trying to knock you off the ball.

I use to have a big problem getting the ball taken away from me as I was trying to shoot. One problem was I was using sprint in traffic so that extra touch made me take a couple too many steps before shooting. I read on here a bunch of tips about not sprinting so I slowed down when attacking and I hold possession and get shots off without a problem now. Use L2+L2 to face up dribble if you want to slow down and face the goal. Use L1 for small touches so you can quickly shoot whenever you decide to push the button.

ALWAYS use Circle to defend air balls in the box. If you press the clearance button the players jump much higher and more aggressively to the ball. Another tip I saw online somewhere that works wonders. I yell it to my friend all the time. It saves me again and again. Get your player in front of the attack or at least near the yellow dot and press clearance right as the ball comes down and you will win a lot more than you use to.

Scoring them I can't help you with haha. I rarely ever get them. I can't get the timing down on the header to drive it in and whenever I do get a good one I usually hit the keeper or the defender standing next to him. I think you really just have to have some big guys down there to win it. If you dont, kick it outside at the edge of the box and youll usually outnumber the defenders out there and at least get possession to do something.

My biggest issue with corners is defending if I turn it over because your defenders are all trying to score headers. So I usually try to maintain possession most of all or kick it really close to the goalie.

Oh man nothing worse than that! I can't stand losing, especially to my friends! If you're getting annihilated I say focus on the basics all around and really just work your way up.

I'm still new to playing FIFA compared to you and most people. I started at 13 really. I love this game though and I really feel like the control is all in your hands to do well. I feel like this is a hard game. Especially compared to madden. FIFA is like a fight game where you have to know all the controls in and out to be really good. THEN you have to play smart soccer on the field. I love the balance of stick skills and strategy.

What I highly recommend is learning the new instructions you can give to each player. I started using them and it really changes the way they all play. If you instruct your midfielders/wingers to get back on defense they will do so much less standing around watching the play since its pass the half field. Also setting your attackers to press the back line gets some pressure on the defense so they cant so easily get into a dangerous area.

Decide your style of play and set it up and really practice it. Then make sure you have the team to use it haha. Or maybe you should pick the style based on the team. I use Arsenal so they have a bunch of good players but I'm new to the sport so I can dig the short safe passing game. I play to that style and have no problem beating people using real madrid so far at least against other new players.

If you have any specific questions I'd love to discuss more. I love trying to get better at the game and learning new things and new ways to play.
This is awesome! Thank you so much! Like I said, I've started a career with Nott'm Forest and I've only won a couple games, drawn two and lost one. So it's not great.

What formation do you use? I started out with a 4-4-2 diamond but now I'm on a 3-5-2. Not sure which is the most effective formation to use in the game.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:25 AM   #5
MVP

wordtobigbird's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyBunch88
This is awesome! Thank you so much! Like I said, I've started a career with Nott'm Forest and I've only won a couple games, drawn two and lost one. So it's not great.

What formation do you use? I started out with a 4-4-2 diamond but now I'm on a 3-5-2. Not sure which is the most effective formation to use in the game.
From what my friend told me and what I've seen, I would never play with only 3 back defenders. The field is way too big for them to cover all that space.

I use different types of 4-3-3. mostly the one with CDM and a LW/ST/RW or with 2 CDMs and a CAM/ST. Really had to build around the players and depth you have though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2014, 11:28 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
I am awful at this game.

So I recently bought a Playstation 4 just for FIFA 15. I’ll buy other games too, but after hearing that “some features won’t be available for FIFA 15 on the PS3” I went out and bought a PS4.

So I really need a mentor, someone who will be Ben Kenobi to my Luke Skywalker, Ra’s al Ghul to my Batman and Ronaldinho to my err Messi? Not sure about the last one.

Basically this is a cry for help before I get relegated to League One (I’m playing as Nottingham Forest).

Cheers guys.

First off, give it a few games. The CPU always gets big momentum boosts (aka on these forums as scripting) in the early stages of the season in manager mode. Once you get into the season and your team morale/form increases, things get easier.

Here are some tips I gave in another thread for defending and attacking:

Defending
I use legacy defending. I have always found it to be better than tactical defending, especially when tackling.

Keep tweaking your tactics until you find what works best for you. I play 4-5-1 with a pacey, high stamina, defensively capable CAM. This way you can keep a good shape whilst the CAM goes roaming to nick the ball. For the tactic sliders, I like to play 70-60-50- basically high pressure up the pitch. I have seen people say that 30 or less for defensive width is a really good option, because you can prevent those mazing runs / one twos through the middle. Just keep tweaking until it gets better.

Unlike FIFA 14, you cannot just chase the ball and lose position, especially with the central players (your teammates AI is poor at filling the gaps, probably deliberately so). Make sure that you track all runners, and that the two CBs and defensive midfielders hold their position. Pace throughout the team is a must.

Attacking
I recommend playing fullbacks and wide midfielders (again 4-5-1 is my preference with the wide midfielders pushed up, and the full backs set to max overlapping). Pass the ball to the wide midfielders and hold it up, and then look to play the fullback in down the line for the cross / cut inside. If they track the run, look back inside and keep possession.

The other option is to get the ball inside to the CAM, and look for the wide midfielders / striker breaking the line with a lofted through ball.

Constantly switch the ball from the one side of the pitch to the other probing for gaps, especially down the wings.

Use your quick players to carry the ball. I find that dribbling diagonally across the pitch, say from deep left to advanced right, causes the CPU to get confused as to which player should be picking up the dribbler.

Stay patient, its easier to score near the end of the game when the opposition's players are tired and your team's pace is most effective. Also if your winning near the end, the computer defenders push forward, leaving masses of space for the counter attack.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:32 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:

Agree with other comment, leave 3-5-2 well alone. It can be reasonably effective defensively if you get the tactics right (but still not as solid as 4 at the back), but fullbacks overlapping the wingers are such a great weapon in FIFA and you don't get that with 3-5-2.

My favourite is 4-5-1 (two holding mids, two wide mids and a CAM). Push the wide mids up, or use them as wingers, and drop the CAM back.

Also play with their roles/assignments- upping their defensive work rate is a good option if you are struggling at the back. Otherwise they are far too lazy for my liking.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:34 AM   #8
MVP

wordtobigbird's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacers101
Also play with their roles/assignments- upping their defensive work rate is a good option if you are struggling at the back. Otherwise they are far too lazy for my liking.
Definitely want to co-sign this. You want to get all you players engaged in the game? Change the roles/assignments.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »