Home

High School Soccer Advice

This is a discussion on High School Soccer Advice within the Pro Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > Pro Soccer
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-28-2014, 03:27 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
High School Soccer Advice

Hello. I am currently a sophomore and I play for my school's soccer team. We are a small school in the PIAA District 3, located in Pennsylvania.

I'm about 5'6" and 130 pounds, but I'm fast and have ball skills and a pretty decent shot. However I truly struggle with fielding punts and goal kicks.

I already am starting on Varsity, due to an injury, and I am doing quite well, but over the next 6 remaining games and through the next year's I want to take the next step. I want to become not only better, but also a team leader.

If you could share any advice/experience/workouts/routines that'll help me out please do.

Feel free to give any advice or tips, or anything else helpful, to help me.

Edit: Right now I play CAM, but occasionally go out to the wing.

Last edited by TheOnlyIThinkJake; 09-28-2014 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Position
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2014, 06:08 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 1
Re: High School Soccer Advice

Fielding punts?

Well. Be able to shoot with 2 feet, thats one of the greatest assets you can have.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:10 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rensational14
Fielding punts?

Well. Be able to shoot with 2 feet, thats one of the greatest assets you can have.
Thanks for the advice, I will definitely work on my left foot. I didn't know how to phrase the "fielding punts." What I meant was heading and chesting them down. Or forwards.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:16 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyIThinkJake
Thanks for the advice, I will definitely work on my left foot. I didn't know how to phrase the "fielding punts." What I meant was heading and chesting them down. Or forwards.
The term I've heard coaches use is "trap", as in chest trap, etc. What I recommend you do is go out every day and just practice juggling... bounce it 10 times, then on the volley blast it high up in the air and practice bringing it down on your chest, then with your knee, then with your foot, and repeat it over and over again.

That's basically all I do when I train on my own. Also, at the pitch near my house there's a wall and a trash can on my left and right so I'll practice bringing it down then passing it to my imaginary teammates, but it makes more sense for me as a deep lying midfielder than it would for you I think.

As a sophomore playing Varsity you're in good shape tbh. The most helpful advice I can give you is don't call it soccer haha. If somebody asks, tell them you play football- not out of embarrassment ofc, just that the rest of the world calls it football so we should too. Good luck
Old 10-07-2014, 10:47 AM   #5
MVP

XXstormmXX's Arena

OVR: 10

If you can practice with your teammates you should try this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2014, 02:06 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

Find some ankle weights and wrist weights every single time you practice ball control. Make sure not to kick the ball hard (i.e. shoot) because you can pull a muscle, which could lead to other injuries. This is meant for "light" ball control only.

Throw the ball up in the air with backspin and forward spin - not just tossing it without spin. The reason is the ball comes to you with backspin or forward spin on it in realtime - why practice control without spin...

Something I practiced a lot: If you have a buddy/teammate, have them kick full shots at you from 10-20 yards away - and try to trap it with whatever you can. This is tough, but the more you do it - the more your reflexes will kick in on 50/50 balls and your foot-eye coordination will improve greatly.

I played the beautiful game in highshcool, college and professional overseas in Indonesia/Thailand. A lot of the methods I use are not traditional, but it's why I want to become a soccer coach one of these days
Old 10-13-2014, 01:17 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlxsf18
The term I've heard coaches use is "trap", as in chest trap, etc. What I recommend you do is go out every day and just practice juggling... bounce it 10 times, then on the volley blast it high up in the air and practice bringing it down on your chest, then with your knee, then with your foot, and repeat it over and over again.

That's basically all I do when I train on my own. Also, at the pitch near my house there's a wall and a trash can on my left and right so I'll practice bringing it down then passing it to my imaginary teammates, but it makes more sense for me as a deep lying midfielder than it would for you I think.

As a sophomore playing Varsity you're in good shape tbh. The most helpful advice I can give you is don't call it soccer haha. If somebody asks, tell them you play football- not out of embarrassment ofc, just that the rest of the world calls it football so we should too. Good luck
I'm definitely going to do the bounce drill, and I'll make sure to call it football from now on.

Thank you for your advice.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:18 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXstormmXX
If you can practice with your teammates you should try this.
Next time me and my teammates get together, this is what we're doing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > Pro Soccer »