Home

Can't Run The Ball To Save My Life

This is a discussion on Can't Run The Ball To Save My Life within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-20-2014, 01:54 AM   #1
Rookie

jkjgiants26's Arena

OVR: 2
Angry Can't Run The Ball To Save My Life

I'm on All-Pro and passing is easy for me but I'm struggling with the run. My O-Line is solid and my running back is Doug Martin but no matter what I do, no holes ever open up and if they do they close very quickly. I haven't had a run of over 7 yards in 3-5 games. My passing game is good most of the time but it doesn't set up my running game like it should and vice versa. I switch it up using dives, stretches, outside zones, etc but nothing ever works. I try running against zone defenses but they still shut me down. Someone help please and tell me what I'm doing wrong
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2014, 02:40 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Can't Run The Ball To Save My Life

Most common problem is using turbo immediately. Don't hit turbo until you have a lane.

Another common thing I see by watching people's streams is a tendency to bounce it outside too often. Before going outside read the contain defender. usually you are better off trucking up the middle. Even if tackled you should fall forward for 3 yards.

Mixing up your playcalling is overrated. I find that some people get to calling random plays just to mix things up. If a run play works call it until it is stopped. Obviously not back to back to back, but there are times where I call HB zone weak 4 timesor more in a single drive.

Use the coach stick to see where you have the advantage. This lets you know where you may have an edge with blockers.

Pay attention to personnel. If the opposition has a great OLB it may be beneficial to run more out of 3 WR sets to get him off the field.

Each play is designed to be ran a certain way or to attack a certain gap. Unless it is a zone run attack the assigned gap. If it is zone run read your blockers (and no turbo!)

Tactic to consider: Start a drive passing and using no huddle to get the defense winded. When they make subs, run down their throat versus backups and tired players. Even more effective if done from something like I-twins and run to the empty side of the field. With a tired d it is much easier to get to the sideline.

Best move in running game for me: double juke. It is quick and crisp. Tap the right stick left then right. This is generally how I make cutbacks (I do a lot of zone run) and then depending on situation either truck and protect ball, or juke again to get to the next level. Also don't neglect holding down on the right stick. Doesn't work up the middle but helps on the outside. As does the stiff arm
Spin move is effective depending situation. If you are running off tackle but a blitz is coming from that direction sometimes you can spin upfield to avoid a loss and possibly get good yardage.
I rarely use precision modifier.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:47 AM   #3
Rookie

jkjgiants26's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
Most common problem is using turbo immediately. Don't hit turbo until you have a lane.

Another common thing I see by watching people's streams is a tendency to bounce it outside too often. Before going outside read the contain defender. usually you are better off trucking up the middle. Even if tackled you should fall forward for 3 yards.

Mixing up your playcalling is overrated. I find that some people get to calling random plays just to mix things up. If a run play works call it until it is stopped. Obviously not back to back to back, but there are times where I call HB zone weak 4 timesor more in a single drive.

Use the coach stick to see where you have the advantage. This lets you know where you may have an edge with blockers.

Pay attention to personnel. If the opposition has a great OLB it may be beneficial to run more out of 3 WR sets to get him off the field.

Each play is designed to be ran a certain way or to attack a certain gap. Unless it is a zone run attack the assigned gap. If it is zone run read your blockers (and no turbo!)

Tactic to consider: Start a drive passing and using no huddle to get the defense winded. When they make subs, run down their throat versus backups and tired players. Even more effective if done from something like I-twins and run to the empty side of the field. With a tired d it is much easier to get to the sideline.

Best move in running game for me: double juke. It is quick and crisp. Tap the right stick left then right. This is generally how I make cutbacks (I do a lot of zone run) and then depending on situation either truck and protect ball, or juke again to get to the next level. Also don't neglect holding down on the right stick. Doesn't work up the middle but helps on the outside. As does the stiff arm
Spin move is effective depending situation. If you are running off tackle but a blitz is coming from that direction sometimes you can spin upfield to avoid a loss and possibly get good yardage.
I rarely use precision modifier.
Wow this is incredibly detailed and exactly the type of things I didn't think of. Thank you so much I'm going to try this right now.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:15 AM   #4
Rookie

fjackson18's Arena

OVR: 4

Also see if your play book has trap plays. those can help get you that lane to get you to the second level. having a Olineman whose main purpose is to get on a LB helps as well. As stated before like we see on TV, patience and waiting before hitting turbo right away.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:42 AM   #5
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
Also don't neglect holding down on the right stick.
I didnt know that was a move. What does it do?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2014, 05:49 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Kidd
I didnt know that was a move. What does it do?
Back juke. Great on the sideline when a defender is coming at you. Slam on the breaks and let him pass right by you.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:15 AM   #7
Just started!

OVR: 0

having a Olineman whose main purpose is to get on a LB helps as well.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:46 AM   #8

m1ke_nyc's Arena

One other small tip that helped me, I find running on the zoom cam to be tough because you cant see much. So I use the more traditional standard cam on run plays that backs out just a bit and gives me much better vision of the field. Its like night and day running the ball on that cam.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »