Home

Official 1998 Thread - In vault and game ready

This is a discussion on Official 1998 Thread - In vault and game ready within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-13-2014, 12:55 AM   #1
Most Valuable Pepe

baumy300's Arena

OVR: 40
Official 1998 Thread - In vault and game ready

Official 1998 Season Thread

Before I dive into this set, I figure I better let everyone know that this will likely be the last set I do (or at least for a while) regarding MLB rosters.

I apologize to those who are awaiting the 1995 season, since I stated earlier I would do it. Between time constraints and the repetitive, burned out feeling I am starting to feel, it would be difficult to try and tough out another set.

However, I know there are a lot of us really looking forward to this particular season, and it is my goal to make sure this set delivers.

Here are some highlights from 1998 that you can expect to see represented in this set:

* The McGwire/Sosa Home Run chase

* The Arizona Diamondbacks and Tampa Bay Devil Rays were introduced to the league

* Young flamethrowers Kerry Wood and John Rocker are welcomed to Chicago and Atlanta

* Young stars are first introduced in this set ranging from Pittsburgh's Aramis Ramirez, LAD's Adrian Beltre, St. Louis' Placido Polanco, Cincy's Aaron Boone, Florida's Derek Lee, Minnesota's David Ortiz, Oakland's Miguel Tejada, Cleveland's Richie Sexson, CWS's Magglio Ordonez, Milwaukee's Geoff Jenkins, Boston's Jason Varitek, LAA's Troy Glaus, LAA's Jarrod Washburn, SFG's Russ Ortiz, Arizona's Travis Lee, Florida's Mike Redmond, Cincy's Sean Casey, Atlanta's Kerry Ligtenberg, Tampa's Rolando Arrojo, Tampa's Randy Winn, Seattle's Raul Ibanez, Oakland's Ben Grieve, and many more.

* Recognizable second year players like Bobby Abreu, Todd Helton, etc... all are now starting.

* As always, players equipment, appearance, and ratings will be adjusted to reflect their performance.

As for a status update, I have 7 teams in the NL done so far, and I will post a list of them later and update it from time to time.

Looking forward to finishing this set and then sharing it!
It makes me sad
I post the frog

Last edited by baumy300; 10-26-2014 at 10:19 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2014, 12:56 AM   #2
Most Valuable Pepe

baumy300's Arena

re: Official 1998 Thread - In vault and game ready

In the spoiler I have included screenshots of players I created exclusive to the 1998 set, or at least they will be at launch.

I may add more later, but you're welcome to preview what I have for now:

Spoiler
It makes me sad
I post the frog

Last edited by baumy300; 09-13-2014 at 01:19 AM.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:45 PM   #3
MVP

rjackson's Arena

OVR: 1

How in depth are you planning on going? Meaning, will it be just a season 25 man roster? I admit I am hoping for something usable in a franchise--not necessarily a full 90 man but maybe some top prospects in the minors mixed in with bad generics...
Old 09-13-2014, 03:14 PM   #4
Most Valuable Pepe

baumy300's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson
How in depth are you planning on going? Meaning, will it be just a season 25 man roster? I admit I am hoping for something usable in a franchise--not necessarily a full 90 man but maybe some top prospects in the minors mixed in with bad generics...
You know man, since release I have been creating 25 man teams whenever I have been able to in my spare time.

I did the 1996 set and had a few grumbles about having to turn injuries off and just play a single season. No big deal. Then I did the 1997 set and seen a slight increase in people wanting more. Now the first post here is about 90 man rosters.

I do 25 man rosters. I do them because I want them, and that's how I choose to play them. I do not have the time and/or desire to sit and create another 1,950 players, especially when most of them would be guys I never heard of or even worse, generic. Top prospects are different than just full sets, but even then you would need to create an ungodly amount of them to make Franchise function, as well as not cause a roster pandemic when injuries are turned on.

So in short, if some of the others can't make due with "just" the 25 man set, they better get together and start doing the work. Because I ain't.
It makes me sad
I post the frog
Old 09-13-2014, 06:59 PM   #5
MVP

rjackson's Arena

OVR: 1

Thanks for the reply. I am sorry I used the word "just" but it was an honest question. Time is a real constraint for me so I am happy with anything you do and am really appreciative that you are sharing your work. I was unaware of others asking for more in other threads so I apologize for you taking my question that way.

Would you be willing to share what formulas you are using to arrive at ratings should someone choose to pursue a franchise set and credit you for the base? Also, I am not sure what you mean by make franchise function--I take it generics pose a problem?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2014, 12:56 PM   #6
№¹ Bad Boy.

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

OVR: 0

With the Show's inability to play an offline franchise using the correct number of teams (for example 16 teams in 1954) 1998 is my favorite as it's the first year with all 30 teams. Subsequently, I tinker around bit trying to recreate that year. I was mainly curious how my scale compares to yours.
This is what I currently use for the most important of the hitter attributes-

Contact - - - - - - - -Power (AB/HR)
90-99 .343-.394----- 11-6.5
80-89 .301-.338----- 16-11.5
70-79 .275-.297----- 21-16.5
60-69 .255-.273----- 26-21.5
50-59 .235-.253----- 32-26.5
40-49 .215-.233----- 48-33
30-39 .183-.213----- 98-52
20-29 .123-.177----- 198-106
10-19 .063-.117----- 338-210
0-9 .003-.057 ------ 538-358

I am not 100% happy with my current Power chart FWIW
Old 09-14-2014, 08:57 PM   #7
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

Baumy you rock brother. Playing a 1996 Marlins season, will then play as them again in 1997, and i have no clue who I will play as in 1998........bottom line is you have made 2 incredible rosters and I look forward to the final set your going to release with the 1998 set.

Amazing work as always.

Cheers.
NHL25 - Panthers YR1
Star Wars Outlaws

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Old 09-18-2014, 01:52 AM   #8
Most Valuable Pepe

baumy300's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson
Thanks for the reply. I am sorry I used the word "just" but it was an honest question. Time is a real constraint for me so I am happy with anything you do and am really appreciative that you are sharing your work. I was unaware of others asking for more in other threads so I apologize for you taking my question that way.

Would you be willing to share what formulas you are using to arrive at ratings should someone choose to pursue a franchise set and credit you for the base? Also, I am not sure what you mean by make franchise function--I take it generics pose a problem?
It's all good man.

I use Bahnzo's formulas for the major offensive categories. I didn't have a formula when I did the 1996 set for PS3 in 2012, so I had looked up default game ratings given to players with certain averages, home runs, etc...

I had to estimate for that PS3 set, but I felt good with my numbers and then noticed they were close to what Bahnzo uses in his generator. I am extremely pleased with the tool he created. (Input at bats, plate appearances, then hits, HR's, BB's and K's)

The things like arm accuracy, throwing strength, baserunning ability, speed, bunting, etc... are all things I can't really use stats to gather. I take numerous things into consideration, and when I can see stats like range factor, assists, etc... I use that to go off of. I also create disparities in some categories so guys stand out on defense. I want the guys with great reaction/range and/or great arms to really stand out from their peers with just average, good, or poor abilities. It's judgement and consistency that requires you research the player you are creating or rating.

Ratings are delicate, but in the end it all comes down to the depth you want in the set. I get pretty picky, so that's why I want faces, accessories, numbers (when possible) pitch types and speeds, ratings, hair/eye color, etc... to be as spot on as possible.

I can't stop anyone from using my sets as a base, so all I will ask is that whoever runs with them after release doesn't eff them all up since my names on it.

I'm kind of an all in kind of guy. Like it's either going to be done right, or not done at all. Not saying I am super roster maker USA or anything, but I have a certain standard for my work and I hope anyone who builds off of it does the same.

If you're serious after this set drops, PM me or something and I can try to give you some more in depth tips and tricks that I've gathered from working on 3 seasons of rosters.

It's long, tedious work, but it isn't rocket science if you know and understand baseball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Of The Year
With the Show's inability to play an offline franchise using the correct number of teams (for example 16 teams in 1954) 1998 is my favorite as it's the first year with all 30 teams. Subsequently, I tinker around bit trying to recreate that year. I was mainly curious how my scale compares to yours.
This is what I currently use for the most important of the hitter attributes-

Contact - - - - - - - -Power (AB/HR)
90-99 .343-.394----- 11-6.5
80-89 .301-.338----- 16-11.5
70-79 .275-.297----- 21-16.5
60-69 .255-.273----- 26-21.5
50-59 .235-.253----- 32-26.5
40-49 .215-.233----- 48-33
30-39 .183-.213----- 98-52
20-29 .123-.177----- 198-106
10-19 .063-.117----- 338-210
0-9 .003-.057 ------ 538-358

I am not 100% happy with my current Power chart FWIW
Right on.

Your BA's look pretty good man, but I think anyone batting in the .330's should be in the mid 90's at least. Just my opinion though, you gotta create ratings for how you want the game to play. And the power ratings are tricky since it comes down to AB's and all that unlike averages. A .280 avg is just that while two guys who hit 20 HR's in a season can vary widely since one may have had 200+ more plate appearances.

Wait until the set drops or look up some stats from former players in my previous sets to compare if you want. Or just study what Bahnzo was doing in regards to power. It may be a good reference point to start at and make tweaks for your own system.
It makes me sad
I post the frog

Last edited by baumy300; 09-18-2014 at 02:02 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »