Home

Coaching schemes

This is a discussion on Coaching schemes within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-09-2014, 04:38 AM   #1
Pro

Shon 23's Arena

OVR: 0
Coaching schemes

Does anyone bother changing your coach's default coaching schemes, and matching their coaching schemes to your starting players' play-style? Or do you just leave it at default? Does is even matter if you do match them, or is it just there for show, primarily (it being useless)?

What exactly does it affect, if anything? This question has probably asked since M25, but I was wondering if anything changed in M15 with coaching schemes; if matching the appropriate schemes to your player's play-style makes any difference whatsoever this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2014, 04:56 AM   #2
Rookie

WilliamLight's Arena

Re: Coaching schemes

hello!

I try to do that, because I read somewhere that it affects your players XP:s when they match your schemes. If they match=more XP:s from the games. but it was few years ago.. I donīt know if it works that way anymore. funny thing is, it doesnīt always affect positive way to your players rating, when you change your team style to fit the players style.. it doesnīt make any sense.. I like the idea, but it doesnīt always work the way it should.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:06 AM   #3
Pro

Shon 23's Arena

Yeah, I also read last year on here, for M25 that if you matched the schemes it increased the XP slightly for your players, but I never found out the truth to that, or tested it myself to be sure.

Last edited by Shon 23; 09-09-2014 at 05:17 AM.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:17 AM   #4
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForTheQuinn94
Does anyone bother changing your coach's default coaching schemes, and matching their coaching schemes to your starting players' play-style? Or do you just leave it at default? Does is even matter if you do match them, or is it just there for show, primarily (it being useless)?

What exactly does it affect, if anything? This question has probably asked since M25, but I was wondering if anything changed in M15 with coaching schemes; if matching the appropriate schemes to your player's play-style makes any difference whatsoever this year.
I do the opposite I match the players to my coaching/team building style. I usually start with a team that needs a complete rebuild and use schemes for free agency/draft. For instance I prefer classic pocket passers to mobile QB's. For me scheme is just there to help sort through players. It's like the old infomercials "set it and forget it", I set it once and never go back into that screen.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:42 AM   #5
Pro

Shon 23's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba2011
I do the opposite I match the players to my coaching/team building style. I usually start with a team that needs a complete rebuild and use schemes for free agency/draft. For instance I prefer classic pocket passers to mobile QB's. For me scheme is just there to help sort through players. It's like the old infomercials "set it and forget it", I set it once and never go back into that screen.
Now, yet again Sheba we are somewhat alike in how we play CFM. Before, it was the pad and pen for our "draft board," scouting free agency, ect and now, it's fitting players to the schemes, not the other way around, if I am understanding you correctly.

I did something similar to this in M25 instead of matching schemes to player play-style, actually. I decided on the coaching schemes I wanted for each position available to set, and how I thought I would build my team around these types of players, then I'd go out and try to scout/draft certain players that were still pretty good, but fit my system/schemes. I had an idea in my mind of how I wanted the team to play, THEN I'd re-build into that kind of team based off of the coaching schemes.

That may sound dumb, but it was kind of fun. I just want to know though if getting slight XP-boosts for players matching coaching schemes to their play-style, is true though.

That might make me re-think how I use the schemes this time around with XP being so valuable, but I'm having my doubts it actually works that way... but then which way does it work? lol Does it just boosts the overalls of players maybe? A visual reference of sorts? I don't know..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2014, 11:48 AM   #6
XSX

BadAssHskr's Arena

OVR: 9

i made the assumption, they were there for those who wish the let the cpu do all their drafting/roster filling dirty work for them. it would give the cpu some idea about the type of player you are after at the position.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:00 PM   #7
Pro

Shon 23's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAssHskr
i made the assumption, they were there for those who wish the let the cpu do all their drafting/roster filling dirty work for them. it would give the cpu some idea about the type of player you are after at the position.
That is certainly a possible explanation. It would make sense if you planned on letting the CPU draft for you. Too bad I don't think EA has ever really explained the purpose or usefulness of the coaching schemes from M25, but your theory could very possibly be correct.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:05 PM   #8
Five Becomes Four

Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

If I recall correctly, the player scheme setting doesn't have any effect on XP gain (double-checking this, will correct if I'm wrong). Rather it's there primarily for changing the calculation of the OVR formula per-position, which changes the user's at-a-glance first impression of a player and the CPU's roster building AI outright via manipulation of the OVR rating.

The team scheme, however, ("Spread", "Power Run", etc.) certainly impacts player progression. The costs of specific attribute upgrades decrease if there's a match between a player's player style and your coach's offensive / defensive scheme setting (mainly intangible and mental things like AWR).

As to the topic, I do adjust these once at the onset of my CFM as to help me build the team I want to build.

Last edited by Hooe; 09-09-2014 at 12:17 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »