Home

NHL 15 Demo: Is the Gameplay Enough? (Roundtable)

This is a discussion on NHL 15 Demo: Is the Gameplay Enough? (Roundtable) within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-26-2014, 10:31 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
NHL 15 Demo: Is the Gameplay Enough? (Roundtable)

The NHL 15 demo arrived today for PS4 users, and yesterday for Xbox One users. With so much controversey surrounding this year's NHL's release, thanks in part to several key missing modes in the new-gen debut, the game will have to rely upon its presentation and gameplay to deliver an experience worth gamer's hard earned $60.

So with that, here are some extended thoughts from our staff on whether the game is shaping up to do just that.

Read More - NHL 15 Demo: Is the Gameplay Enough? (Roundtable)
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2014, 10:42 PM   #2
ORIGINAL SIX FAN

13whitebread's Arena

OVR: 15
As for me only I have played six games like what I am seeing and I realize it's not the full game but in those games I never had a power play. I surely hope that will change
Old 08-26-2014, 10:44 PM   #3
MVP

bigwill33's Arena

OVR: 13
You have Glenn's comments on here twice and nothing from Phil.

Anyway, it seems to be that if you like or love real hockey you won't care for this game. And if you don't really know much about hockey or only follow it somewhat you might think it is pretty good. There are exceptions, but that is the consensus that seems to be floating around the boards here.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:44 PM   #4
Pro

scottyo60's Arena

OVR: 9
I feel like the players are too big... Lighting and graphics were great. NBC sports a nice touch as well. I'll play more Thursday and see what I think.. Idk
Old 08-26-2014, 11:10 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: NHL 15 Demo: Is the Gameplay Enough? (Roundtable)

Jayson's section confirms what I was most afraid of. NHL 15 is some admittedly stylish lipstick on a real damn ugly pig.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2014, 11:19 PM   #6
Rookie

Rhaze48's Arena

After a few hours now logged in the demo here are my impressions. Keep in mind while reading this breakdown I was playing as the Kings the entire time, who are without a doubt the #1 Defensive team in the entire league. I played all games in Goalie locked position as I would in my Be A Pro.

I can sum up my experience by breaking down my very first game goal-by-goal.

Goal #1 on me: I was in what looked to be perfect position, got top-shelfed over my glove under the bar circa NHL14.

Goal #2 on me: While my defense(the best in the league remember) stood around like pylons a Rangers player with the puck on the half-boards facing the glass twisted the top half of his torso almost a full 180 to center the puck perfectly to another Ranger waiting patiently and un-hindered in the slot. No chance as it's again roofed.

Goal # on me: I stop the initial shot from the point, only to see(circa NHL14) my "Defensemen" doing the cross-check jig out in front of me while a Rangers player scoops up the rebound on his backhand and it's back off his stick and roofed in a split second.

Goal #4 on me: Ranger cuts in from the sideboards almost parralel with the goal line, I hug the post upright and he proceeds (on his off side mind you) to roof it FAR SIDE on me.

Goal #1 on them: A floater by Dwight King beats King Henrick glove side mid net.

Other Observations: SWEET FLAPPY JERSEY BATMAN. It's just.... too much. Crowds looked AMAZING, commentary was a refreshing change as was pre-game. Player models looked slightly improved but VERY VERY VERY pissed it's a 720p output and not a 1080p as it SHOULD BE.

Overall it seems to be nothing more than a fresh coat of paint on the same glitchy, unbalanced gameplay. In serious consideration to cancel my pre-order and wait a few months till you lovely folks can make some sets of decent sliders that may solve my issues and then purchase.

Just as far as what I do with my game-time, it seems like it will be the same infuriating ride NHL14 was. Might be a pass for me this year.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:28 PM   #7
Pro

scottyo60's Arena

OVR: 9
Here's a round table question. With the price drops of NHL around Black Friday and December, what do you value this game as? I'd think around $30 will be when I pick it up
Old 08-26-2014, 11:40 PM   #8
Rookie

Rhaze48's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyo60
Here's a round table question. With the price drops of NHL around Black Friday and December, what do you value this game as? I'd think around $30 will be when I pick it up
Well it's current price tag for me is $69.99 CAD. With it's lack of modes, seemingly unchanged gameplay, and only slightly improved graphics I would honestly pay no more than $35-$40 around xmas.

Thus a big reason I am sleeping on it tonight and may cancel pre-order tomorrow.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »