Home

Help Making Custom Scoring System for League

This is a discussion on Help Making Custom Scoring System for League within the Fantasy Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football > Fantasy Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-09-2014, 12:14 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Help Making Custom Scoring System for League

Offensively, I'm using the simple and efficient base scoring (ESPN).

Passing
Every 25 passing yards: 1
TD Pass: 4
Interceptions Thrown: -2
2pt Passing Conversion: 2

Rushing
Every 10 rushing yards:1
TD Rush: 6
2pt Rushing Conversion: 2

Receiving
Every 10 receiving yards: 1
TD Reception: 6
2pt Receiving Conversion: 2

Okay, here's my problem though. I'm a defensive minded guy unlike most football fans. I have a major problem that the number one defense in the league, and basically the anchor for the SUPER BOWL champs, was the 98th most valuable pick from last year. That means some 4th string wide out or scrub QB is a better pick than the best D. THAT'S INSANE.

Defense/Special Teams
Each Sack: 1
Interception Return TD: 6
Fumble Return TD: 6
Kickoff Return TD: 6
Punt Return TD: 6
Blocked Punt or FG return for TD: 6
Blocked Punt, PAT or FG: 2
Each Interception: 2
Each Fumble Recovered: 2
Each Safety: 2
0 points allowed: 5
1-6 points allowed: 4
7-13 points allowed: 3
14-17 points allowed: 1
28-34 points allowed:-1
35-45 points allowed: -3
46+ points allowed: -5
Less than 100 total yards allowed: 5
100-199 total yards allowed: 3
200-299 total yards allowed: 2
350-399 total yards allowed: -1
400-449 total yards allowed: -3
450-499 total yards allowed:-5
500-549 total yards allowed: -6
550+ total yards allowed: -7

Now, I don't want to overpower the defense. I just want to make it equally as important as offense. Do you guys know of any working systems or have any ideas? Thanks!

Daring to Dream - The Dash Davis Story
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2014, 12:49 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: Help Making Custom Scoring System for League

Quote:
Originally Posted by footbrawl
Offensively, I'm using the simple and efficient base scoring (ESPN).

Passing
Every 25 passing yards: 1
TD Pass: 4
Interceptions Thrown: -2
2pt Passing Conversion: 2

Rushing
Every 10 rushing yards:1
TD Rush: 6
2pt Rushing Conversion: 2

Receiving
Every 10 receiving yards: 1
TD Reception: 6
2pt Receiving Conversion: 2

Okay, here's my problem though. I'm a defensive minded guy unlike most football fans. I have a major problem that the number one defense in the league, and basically the anchor for the SUPER BOWL champs, was the 98th most valuable pick from last year. That means some 4th string wide out or scrub QB is a better pick than the best D. THAT'S INSANE.

Defense/Special Teams
Each Sack: 1
Interception Return TD: 6
Fumble Return TD: 6
Kickoff Return TD: 6
Punt Return TD: 6
Blocked Punt or FG return for TD: 6
Blocked Punt, PAT or FG: 2
Each Interception: 2
Each Fumble Recovered: 2
Each Safety: 2
0 points allowed: 5
1-6 points allowed: 4
7-13 points allowed: 3
14-17 points allowed: 1
28-34 points allowed:-1
35-45 points allowed: -3
46+ points allowed: -5
Less than 100 total yards allowed: 5
100-199 total yards allowed: 3
200-299 total yards allowed: 2
350-399 total yards allowed: -1
400-449 total yards allowed: -3
450-499 total yards allowed:-5
500-549 total yards allowed: -6
550+ total yards allowed: -7

Now, I don't want to overpower the defense. I just want to make it equally as important as offense. Do you guys know of any working systems or have any ideas? Thanks!
We had the same mindset in one of my league's last year and these were the scoring settings we decided upon. Puts the dominant defensive performances up there with the top offensive performances but doesn't overpower the mediocre ones. But this is with PPR scoring so the offense as a whole gets a boost. Since yours doesn't appear to be PPR, you could tone the scoring down a tad (or switch to PPR )

Each Sack (SK) 1
Interception Return TD (INTTD) 6
Fumble Return TD (FRTD) 6
Kickoff Return TD (KRTD) 6
Punt Return TD (PRTD) 6
Blocked Punt or FG return for TD (BLKKRTD) 6
Blocked Punt, PAT or FG (BLKK) 2
Each Interception (INT) 2
Each Fumble Recovered (FR) 2
Each Safety (SF) 2
0 points allowed (PA0) 15
1-6 points allowed (PA1) 12
7-13 points allowed (PA7) 8
14-17 points allowed (PA14) 5
18-21 points allowed (PA18) 2
28-34 points allowed (PA28) -3
35-45 points allowed (PA35) -6
46+ points allowed (PA46) -8
Less than 100 total yards allowed (YA100) 12
100-199 total yards allowed (YA199) 10
200-299 total yards allowed (YA299) 5
350-399 total yards allowed (YA399) -1
400-449 total yards allowed (YA449) -3
450-499 total yards allowed (YA499) -5
500-549 total yards allowed (YA549) -7
550+ total yards allowed (YA550) -8
Old 08-13-2014, 12:44 PM   #3
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

As a defensive minded guy myself, I disagree with what you're trying to do. If you really want to show the importance of defense in the way it is for offense, then go to an IDP league and draft defensive players.

The problem with what you're trying to do is the unpredictability of the position (D isn't really a position but we have to look at it like that). Sure, sacks, forced fumbles and interceptions are obvious. But points scored is often largely effected by offensive success as well... anything from scoring quickly to turnovers (a turnover in the red zone). But the biggest issue is with turnovers that turn into TDs and kick/punt return TDs. These plays have nothing to do with the D but the position gets knocked in fantasy for them.

Then we can factor in yards allowed, but there are defenses that live with the "bend but don't break" philosophy... that list can grow or shrink in any given game, based on the score.

Finally, there can probably be arguments made for your Seahawks, 9ers, etc. But let's cut off the top 5 defenses in the league and because of the unpredictability, a lot of the rest are a crap shoot. So if I decide to grab the Bucs D in the last round of my draft just bc I haven't picked one yet, even if they end up being solid, is it fair that they're competing in points with my #2 WR that I researched and selected 10 rounds earlier? Or, from my mindset, is it fair that another owner who doesn't know what they're doing gets carried by a defense that is having a lucky fantasy year?

A great fantasy D can be one who gets a lot of turnovers for TDs, but that's not necessarily a great NFL D. Should we boost the points for yards/points allowed, devaluing these defenses? The Hawks are tough in the secondary but that doesn't always lead to ints or sacks. Should we devalue those stats to better mirror the NFL? I didn't even mention that it's Defense/Special Teams. The Seahawks are great but how many return TDs did they have? Other units can be targeted if you know they excel on that side of things.

Don't get me wrong, my favorite league uses the categories you mentioned, AND gives a bonus for shutouts. I think it's good to use all of that, I just wouldn't go overboard trying to get the top defenses to be worth high draft picks because it will unfairly boost the other defenses as well, or create a large gap between the top few and rest of the league for an unpredictable position.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:25 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
anything from scoring quickly to turnovers (a turnover in the red zone). But the biggest issue is with turnovers that turn into TDs and kick/punt return TDs. These plays have nothing to do with the D but the position gets knocked in fantasy for them.
For the first part, I think you're referring to something like Tom Brady throwing a pick-6 and the Pats DEF getting docked for it...apologies if I'm wrong. That said, Yahoo leagues (or at least the ones I've been in) don't count those against the DEF position. Not sure about kick/punt return TDs but those make sense since most leagues list the position as DST or at least call it Defense/Special Teams.

I agree with everything that you say here. I like to watch a good defensive battle myself but I just have a tough time figuring out a good way to balance them in fantasy football. I like the idea of going IDP instead but great defenses are typically great because they function well as a unit...going IDP forces you to pick individuals that are strong and is contrary to what makes a good defense good.

If there was a way to pick a defensive team and then have to choose 6-7 fantasy starters from just that team, I think it would be headed in the right direction in terms of addressing the unit/individual piece. I don't know of any site that allows that though...
Old 08-27-2014, 06:06 PM   #5
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodjer
For the first part, I think you're referring to something like Tom Brady throwing a pick-6 and the Pats DEF getting docked for it...apologies if I'm wrong. That said, Yahoo leagues (or at least the ones I've been in) don't count those against the DEF position. Not sure about kick/punt return TDs but those make sense since most leagues list the position as DST or at least call it Defense/Special Teams.

I agree with everything that you say here. I like to watch a good defensive battle myself but I just have a tough time figuring out a good way to balance them in fantasy football. I like the idea of going IDP instead but great defenses are typically great because they function well as a unit...going IDP forces you to pick individuals that are strong and is contrary to what makes a good defense good.

If there was a way to pick a defensive team and then have to choose 6-7 fantasy starters from just that team, I think it would be headed in the right direction in terms of addressing the unit/individual piece. I don't know of any site that allows that though...
That is a perfect example of what I mean but I want to be clear you aren't getting docked for it (bc I need to make some adjustments to my leagues if yahoo really does account for this, lol).

So let's say your D gets a bonus of 10 points for a shut out and Brady throws a pick 6. Final score is 21-7... does your Pats D get the 10 point bonus?

The set up described earlier (and one I use in my main league) gives bonuses for other point totals as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2014, 08:09 PM   #6
MVP

Quote:
That is a perfect example of what I mean but I want to be clear you aren't getting docked for it (bc I need to make some adjustments to my leagues if yahoo really does account for this, lol).

So let's say your D gets a bonus of 10 points for a shut out and Brady throws a pick 6. Final score is 21-7... does your Pats D get the 10 point bonus?

The set up described earlier (and one I use in my main league) gives bonuses for other point totals as well.
Right. At least in both of my Yahoo leagues last year, there was a note about how defensive scores didn't count against a DEF...Pick 6s, safeties, etc. Here is the page that addresses this:
https://help.yahoo.com/kb/fantasy-fo...pressions=true
Old 08-28-2014, 03:57 PM   #7
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

That's awesome. I'm going to my yahoo leagues to see if this is the default (and if not, I'm changing to add it).
Old 08-28-2014, 04:31 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
That's awesome. I'm going to my yahoo leagues to see if this is the default (and if not, I'm changing to add it).
I don't think there's a way to NOT do this in Yahoo leagues. There is something else in Yahoo leagues relating to DEF points but can't remember exactly what it was. I just know that I had Houston in both of my leagues last year when they scored a return TD and only got credit in one of them. Something about needing to specify a point value for return TDs as well, if I remember. Might be worth looking at if you're going in to adjust the other.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football > Fantasy Football »