Home

Ps4 color on madden15

This is a discussion on Ps4 color on madden15 within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 08-06-2014, 07:57 PM   #1
Pro

tgiordano's Arena

OVR: 5
Ps4 color on madden15

I think the colors look muted or a little washed out on the ps4 videos. It does not appear to be bright. It looks a little dull. Will xbox one look a little brighter?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2014, 08:03 PM   #2
Nogueira connoisseur

Find_the_Door's Arena

Re: Ps4 color on madden15

Well the Xbox does run a darker color gamma giving it the false look of more pop (but also more black crush).

The PS3 and PS4 both adhere to Rec. 709 color standard. The Xbox One and 360 both use Microsoft's own color standard which clips a lot of black detail and is highly inaccurate.

The Sony consoles adhere to the industry standard - thus they display the game accurately.

Microsoft banks on people being fooled by the more vivid/bright colors on their consoles (even though they're highly inaccurate). Very similar to LEDs vs Plasma - Plasma displays a more accurate image in the correct lighting where as LEDs display an image that's more appealing on the show floor (guess what people buy more of).

The fact that Xbox consoles clip blacks no matter what makes them impossible to calibrate an image correctly on them. This is a huge reason why I switched after 12 years with Xbox.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:29 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batum Shaka Laka
Well the Xbox does run a darker color gamma giving it the false look of more pop (but also more black crush).

The PS3 and PS4 both adhere to Rec. 709 color standard. The Xbox One and 360 both use Microsoft's own color standard which clips a lot of black detail and is highly inaccurate.

The Sony consoles adhere to the industry standard - thus they display the game accurately.

Microsoft banks on people being fooled by the more vivid/bright colors on their consoles (even though they're highly inaccurate). Very similar to LEDs vs Plasma - Plasma displays a more accurate image in the correct lighting where as LEDs display an image that's more appealing on the show floor (guess what people buy more of).

The fact that Xbox consoles clip blacks no matter what makes them impossible to calibrate an image correctly on them. This is a huge reason why I switched after 12 years with Xbox.
Bought a $4000 plus Samsung Plasma after I saw it next to the LED I had gone in the store to buy.
Watching it is a dream. Watching NFL on it is a (***) dream!!!
Edit: oh and yea, all the vids they have done have been on PS4 so i'm pretty sure thats the platform the game was built on
Old 08-06-2014, 09:49 PM   #4
Nogueira connoisseur

Find_the_Door's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedFastball
Bought a $4000 plus Samsung Plasma after I saw it next to the LED I had gone in the store to buy.
Watching it is a dream. Watching NFL on it is a (***) dream!!!
Edit: oh and yea, all the vids they have done have been on PS4 so i'm pretty sure thats the platform the game was built on
I'm guessing you purchased a Samsung F8500 then? Good choice.

I own a Panasonic 65" VT60 myself.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:48 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 2

The thing with these very expensive TV's is that the technology for cable TV or even gaming is not caught up with the TV tech. The TV is only as good as what the cable box/system provides, and that isn't even close to what the TV's are capable of. The TV's look better in the store due to the fact that it is a pre-loaded image which pushes the TV to it's limits, something that video game systems and cable boxes are not capable of. The one's in store that look better and actually show live TV look better because they are properly calibrated. It's a little trick that some stores use to make the expensive TV's look better. Unfortunately, current video games do not have the ability to push a TV to its maximum capabilities. I don't understand why companies are making 4k TV's when right now, cable TV can't even provide 1080p and most video games/movies run natively at 720p and can only be upscaled to 1080p.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2014, 12:05 AM   #6
Nogueira connoisseur

Find_the_Door's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganfan8620
The thing with these very expensive TV's is that the technology for cable TV or even gaming is not caught up with the TV tech. The TV is only as good as what the cable box/system provides, and that isn't even close to what the TV's are capable of. The TV's look better in the store due to the fact that it is a pre-loaded image which pushes the TV to it's limits, something that video game systems and cable boxes are not capable of. The one's in store that look better and actually show live TV look better because they are properly calibrated. It's a little trick that some stores use to make the expensive TV's look better. Unfortunately, current video games do not have the ability to push a TV to its maximum capabilities. I don't understand why companies are making 4k TV's when right now, cable TV can't even provide 1080p and most video games/movies run natively at 720p and can only be upscaled to 1080p.

This is incorrect.

Consoles definitely have caught up with TV's. The PS4 plays nearly every game in native 1080p (matching the majority of displays out there). Store demoed TV's play native content occasionally but typically display content that is running off a low quality split coaxial feed. Not to mention they're running in vivid mode and are definitely NOT professionally calibrated.

Current video games can definitely push your typical displays to their limits - in fact no TV currently available supports over 1200 lines of vertical motion resolution without some sort of motion enhancement (resulting in more input lag). So I'd argue that games have definitely pushed displays to their limits. Blu-rays display uncompressed 1080p offering the utmost clarity (both consoles display this consistently). With few Xbox One games playing at native 1080p, yes, one could argue that console doesn't push TV's to their limits.

Sure broadcast television isn't nearly what it should be, but in other countries it looks fantastic - our infrastructure just sucks (see Google Fiber).

4k is a different story as it's just now releasing and has problems of it's own (vertical motion resolution isn't nearly a 3rd of what the actual pixel count is).

Last edited by Find_the_Door; 08-07-2014 at 12:08 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:32 AM   #7
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

Quote:
This is incorrect.

Consoles definitely have caught up with TV's. The PS4 plays nearly every game in native 1080p (matching the majority of displays out there). Store demoed TV's play native content occasionally but typically display content that is running off a low quality split coaxial feed. Not to mention they're running in vivid mode and are definitely NOT professionally calibrated.

Current video games can definitely push your typical displays to their limits - in fact no TV currently available supports over 1200 lines of vertical motion resolution without some sort of motion enhancement (resulting in more input lag). So I'd argue that games have definitely pushed displays to their limits. Blu-rays display uncompressed 1080p offering the utmost clarity (both consoles display this consistently). With few Xbox One games playing at native 1080p, yes, one could argue that console doesn't push TV's to their limits.

Sure broadcast television isn't nearly what it should be, but in other countries it looks fantastic - our infrastructure just sucks (see Google Fiber).

4k is a different story as it's just now releasing and has problems of it's own (vertical motion resolution isn't nearly a 3rd of what the actual pixel count is)
I can attest to his last part. I spend 6 months out of the year in Asia for work and some of the countries there (South Korea, Japan, Hong Kong) are light years ahead of the US in both TV and internet infrastructure. Also 4k TV's have been available in many of those countries for the past few years.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:16 AM   #8
Banned

Quote:
I'm guessing you purchased a Samsung F8500 then? Good choice.

I own a Panasonic 65" VT60 myself.
Yep 64 inch, I switched from DTV to xfinity and both guys said it was a "beautiful picture" I took it as a pretty nice complement as they make a living looking at tv's.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »