Home

New Attribute Idea

This is a discussion on New Attribute Idea within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 07-24-2014, 04:10 PM   #1
MVP

kmoser's Arena

OVR: 15
New Attribute Idea

I have been playing MLB The Show 14 a lot and have noticed some things about fielding and base running. Sometimes a batter will hit a ball to the shortstop and the SS double pumps and then makes the throw across the diamond. The animation looks great, really realistic, and then... the runner is safe at 1st because the throw was late. It looks like a play that would happen in real life and the runner in real life is almost always out.
The problem here is that every base runner goes all out on every ball in play. Isn't that how every player should be? Yes, but that's not how they play. If they hit a ground ball they know they will be out on, they then just trot on towards 1st not really trying too hard.
So I have thought of an attribute that The Show could use to help this and make it even more realistic. Te attribute would be called "Effort" or something along those lines. Every player is different so it would be cool if SCEA could rate them on how hard they would try in these situations. Of course if the ball was going to be a double every runner runs hard so it would just be about infield ground ball situations. If a player has a 99 then he would run out every ball put in play, but if they have a lower rating they just trot towards the base. Just thought this was a cool idea. Any other ideas or expand on this idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2014, 11:07 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: New Attribute Idea

To add to that, I'd call it "Hustle", kinda like they have in NBA 2K. This would apply to not only baserunning, but also how he plays defensively. Take a guy like Hunter Pence, for example. I've never seen him not sprint towards first base on a ball hit in play. On defense, he tends to go all out. He'd be an example of a higher rated player as far as the hustle attribute would work. Just my two cents...but I love this idea. Maybe even throw in a consistency rating? Maybe even have egos have an effect on the team in Franchises, and how they'll handle certain situations. You'd have hothead players, and players who will tend to keep their cool. There are really a lot of different things that can be done with these mental attributes, and I'd love to see them implemented into later games.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:12 PM   #3
MVP

kmoser's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacksicanNinja
To add to that, I'd call it "Hustle", kinda like they have in NBA 2K. This would apply to not only baserunning, but also how he plays defensively. Take a guy like Hunter Pence, for example. I've never seen him not sprint towards first base on a ball hit in play. On defense, he tends to go all out. He'd be an example of a higher rated player as far as the hustle attribute would work. Just my two cents...but I love this idea. Maybe even throw in a consistency rating? Maybe even have egos have an effect on the team in Franchises, and how they'll handle certain situations. You'd have hothead players, and players who will tend to keep their cool. There are really a lot of different things that can be done with these mental attributes, and I'd love to see them implemented into later games.

Those are great ideas. I have this thread on the ps4 part of the forums as well and one guy said that SCEA has tried to put in things like this but somehow it gets rejected by MLB. Kinda odd, but maybe they will get it worked out in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-29-2014, 09:59 PM   #4
Pro

dougdfc's Arena

It was likely rejected because the MLBPA doesn't want to imply that some players hustle more than others. Might hurt their feelings
Old 07-30-2014, 04:33 PM   #5
Rookie

corndog86's Arena

OVR: 1

I like this idea. Maybe instead of an attribute, you could make a sprint button. The downside to sprinting would be increase in injury probability. For example, a hammy strain running down the line. So when you do hit an automatic out you just jog to first and avoid an injury.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2014, 04:42 PM   #6
MVP

kmoser's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog86
I like this idea. Maybe instead of an attribute, you could make a sprint button. The downside to sprinting would be increase in injury probability. For example, a hammy strain running down the line. So when you do hit an automatic out you just jog to first and avoid an injury.

Wow, that is an amazing idea, that would be great!
Old 07-31-2014, 05:45 AM   #7
Banned

CanOfCornCobb's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog86
There was an EA baseball game i used to play when i was younger (maybe it was Triple Play), but on ground balls in the infield the user had the ability to tap "X" repeatedly to make the runner sprint harder to 1st base in the hopes of beating out a ground ball or double play. I really liked that feature and have never seen it in any other baseball game.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:56 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanOfCornCobb
There was an EA baseball game i used to play when i was younger (maybe it was Triple Play), but on ground balls in the infield the user had the ability to tap "X" repeatedly to make the runner sprint harder to 1st base in the hopes of beating out a ground ball or double play. I really liked that feature and have never seen it in any other baseball game.
If I hit a slow roller or something, I still hit 'x' just out of habit. Haha. I always thought a hustle attribute made sense to have. I do agree with what was said in the thread. I hate how it takes players so long to release the ball. Maybe awareness should be an attribute, or urgency?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »