Home

Real Draft Classes 2014-17

This is a discussion on Real Draft Classes 2014-17 within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-11-2014, 02:14 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Post Real Draft Classes 2014-17

The Summer of 2K14
By Richard Harris

We’re in the midst of my least favorite part of the NBA season—free agency. This summer is especially tedious because LeBron and Melo are available, and the mainstream media is constantly bombarding us with useless minutia and premature conjecture, as these mega-stars decide where they are going to play. This process is quite the opposite of the NBA draft—the players are picking the teams, and it mostly comes down to personal preferences. Do I like the city? Do I like the owner? Do I like the floor tile in the locker room?

So, what is a diehard NBA fan supposed to do for the next four months? I have a suggestion—dust off your NBA 2K14 disk and start playing in association mode. Now, you say (said in a Hubie Brown voice), “I did that this winter, and I became disgruntled when my franchise player, Nigerian center Stanley Berkowitz, suffered a career-ending injury at the end of the 2021 season. I was so close to making it to the finals, too.” I get that, but I am suggesting that instead of waiting for 2K15 to come out, you resume playing right now with fresh batch of real players, such as Andrew Wiggins, and not with those absurd computer-generated guys like Stanley.

With the aid of a number of draft-related sites, I have created four draft classes for NBA 2K14. All 80 players in each class are real people, and they all have been well researched. The players’ ratings are based on actual stats, measurable skills (like vertical jump), expert opinions, and the all-important eye test. Players were excluded if I could not look at their stats or if I was unable to watch them play in some fashion. Luckily, that rarely happened—the Internet is a beautiful thing.

I estimate that the entire project entailed at least 500 hours of work. Of course, the process, like real scouting, is very subjective. When watching a player, you have to account for the surrounding talent on both sides and the style of play on both sides. I used a performance-metric system to convert the player stats into game ratings, but even that required tweaking at times. For example, AAU stats have to be taken with a grain of salt because those leagues are mainly showcases for college prospects—I am convinced that there’s unwritten AAU rule against defending. The same goes for mix tapes. If you watch Jahi Carson’s highlights from high school, he appears to be the greatest thing since AI. Unfortunately, he’s a bit of a knucklehead when it comes to playing team ball, and as a result, he just went undrafted.

The PDF attachment contains the complete lists of all four classes. The players in each class are ranked by a formula that I created. That formula uses the three most important variables in 2K-association mode: age, current overall rating, and potential. I call the formula’s end result WAVE, which stands for weighted average, with potential being the most heavily weighted factor.

In NBA 2K14, the potential rating is more important than ever before. The number now represents the highest level a player can achieve (a cap on ability). You also have to keep in mind that a player’s progression (in the game) stops around the age of 29, so not everyone will reach their potential. Changing the effect of potential in 2K was much needed and long overdue, as it not only adds intrigue to the draft process but also realism to the game.

Not so ironically, the three variables used to calculate WAVE are probably the most important factors for the actual draft process, as well as drafting in the game. If you look at Zach LaVine and Doug McDermott in the 2014 class, you’ll see that their WAVE ratings are equal, but there is a big difference between the two players. If you are building for the future, you will want to draft younger guys with the highest potential, like the athletic LaVine. If you want to win now, players who have a high current rating, such as the proven McDermott, will have more value.

For each class, I have noted who received a top-5 2K grade for the following skills: inside scoring (IS), outside scoring (OS), perimeter defense (OD), post defense (ID), ball handling (BH), rebounding (RE), basketball IQ (IQ), and athleticism (AT). The game heavily favors point guards when grading athleticism, so I also noted the best non-PG outside the top 5, meaning each class has six AT’s. Players with an asterisk (*) next to their “From” location means that the player has yet to pick a school, and I took an educated guess as to where they will land.

For those who like the game to be as realistic as possible and want to go through the scouting process, I have not included the players’ overall ratings and potentials in the lists below. Cheaters can easily look at these numbers after they have downloaded the files. These classes were created on an Xbox 360, and can be retrieved by using the 2K-share feature and searching by gamer tag for files created by “likesushi.”

See the PDF attachment to view the 2014-2017 draft class rankings.

Richard Harris has been professionally evaluating athletes and teams since 1996, specializing in performance metrics. His fantasy football columns have been featured on sites such as ESPN.com, SI.com, and USAToday.com. Most recently, he has been a regular contributor to NBADraft.net. Richard can be reached at [email protected].
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Summer of 2k14 Rankings.pdf (223.5 KB, 177 views)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2014, 02:21 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Real Draft Classes 2014-17

These are very good! Thanks man.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:49 PM   #3
Pro

123abcdylan's Arena

OVR: 6

I'm a Arkansas fan and I believe you rated bobby portis too high
Old 07-22-2014, 06:57 AM   #4
Just started!

These are very good!
Old 07-22-2014, 02:20 PM   #5
Pro

123abcdylan's Arena

OVR: 6

Kelly Oubre is a low too
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2014, 08:08 AM   #6
Just started!

good,a Arkansas fan and I believe you rated bobby portis too high.thanks
Old 08-07-2014, 07:02 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

Call me stupid..how do we download these for the game?

NFL: Panthers & Lions
NHL: Hurricanes & RedWings
NBA: Pistons (Bad Boys 4 Life)

Playing Now: NCAA 14, Madden 15, BF4, All Lego games, NBA2K15
Old 08-16-2014, 10:22 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 8

Is there any way, at all, to have these on PS3?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »