Home

Making Franchise Budgets Realistic

This is a discussion on Making Franchise Budgets Realistic within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 06-25-2014, 03:15 PM   #1
MVP

kmoser's Arena

OVR: 15
Making Franchise Budgets Realistic

I am the Astros in my Franchise and when I got to my latest off season I had 65 million in budget I could use. I know the budgets are messed up so I made a house rule that I would use only half or even less than half during the off season.
My only problem is that if my budget goes way up because of winning seasons I wouldn't know how much room I would "realistically" have.

Do you guys have any house rules on the budget and if so how do you work around the problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2014, 03:40 PM   #2
Pro

kcsam's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Making Franchise Budgets Realistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoser
I am the Astros in my Franchise and when I got to my latest off season I had 65 million in budget I could use. I know the budgets are messed up so I made a house rule that I would use only half or even less than half during the off season.
My only problem is that if my budget goes way up because of winning seasons I wouldn't know how much room I would "realistically" have.

Do you guys have any house rules on the budget and if so how do you work around the problem?

Are you using 30 team control? Because if not, how are you going to control the other teams realistic budget and signing ways? I am nearing the end of my season as well. I am the A's, so I am going to run into the same issues as you. I don't know how I am going to handle. I am not using 30 team control because I would not have the time nor patience to go through all 30 teams and sign FA's for each and every one of them.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:51 PM   #3
MVP

kmoser's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcsam
Are you using 30 team control? Because if not, how are you going to control the other teams realistic budget and signing ways? I am nearing the end of my season as well. I am the A's, so I am going to run into the same issues as you. I don't know how I am going to handle. I am not using 30 team control because I would not have the time nor patience to go through all 30 teams and sign FA's for each and every one of them.

No, I'm like you, I wouldn't have the patience for 30 team control. I have heard however that even though the budgets are mess up that the teams still spend realistically and don't use all of their money. For example the Rays will spend not that much even though their budget increased. Hope that makes sense. Small markets still spend like they have a normally low budget.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:40 PM   #4
Rookie

BeatArmy's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoser
No, I'm like you, I wouldn't have the patience for 30 team control. I have heard however that even though the budgets are mess up that the teams still spend realistically and don't use all of their money. For example the Rays will spend not that much even though their budget increased. Hope that makes sense. Small markets still spend like they have a normally low budget.

That's not really the issue. The basis of the issue is that they *can* do it. And the saves continue.... what if the AI is magically improved and now there are budgets kicking around of $300 million (possible after the third season)?
Old 06-25-2014, 07:41 PM   #5
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

If you really want to handcuff your budgets.....you could sign scouts/managers/coaches and FA's to contracts that would leave you the amount of $$$ you think is realistic.
You can release the FA's back to the pool(and resign who you dropped to get them there).
There is still a bug with either scouts or managers/coaches that gives you the money back when you release them....but you could release your current farm director or coach and just give another one(or the same one) a big contract to tie up some bucks.
Using 30 team control(you don't need time for 30 team control guys...just put everything to AUTO for them...it's EXACTLY like playing a single team franchise then)...you could do it for every team.

M.K.
Knight165
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2014, 07:43 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Just came up with this on the fly, so no idea how this would work or if it's "balanced" or whatever.

If you remember what your budget room was, maybe add 0.5 per game over .500, +2% for making the playoffs, -2% for no playoffs, and +1% per round advanced, and +5% for winning it all.

Calculate that and then apply that to your last year budget. Then in year 3 and beyond, instead of comparing to .500, you compare to a moving average of your last two seasons. If you make the playoffs in any year, that also becomes part of the benchmark. If you make it, you get the 2%, but no round bonus unless you advanced further than you did before. If not, -1% for every round earlier you exited. If you DON'T make it at all, -5%.

Once you make the playoffs - that part of the benchmark remains (the fans and GM now expect you to field a playoff team every year). So if you win 90 games and miss the playoffs - still a -5% for that part of the result.

For example:

Year 1: 76 Wins (result is -2.5% from your budget since you were 5 games under .500. -2% for no playoffs. Total is -4.5%. Benchmark is still .500)

Year 2: 84 Wins, no playoffs (result is +1.5% for your budget since you were 3 games over .500, -2% for no playoffs so net result is -0.5%. Benchmark is now the average of Year 1 and 2, 80 wins in this case).

Year 3: 83 Wins, no playoffs (result is +1.5% for your budget since you were 3 games over your benchmark. No playoffs, so -2%. Net result is -0.5%. New benchmark is the average of Year 2 and 3, 84 wins [83.5, but round up])

Year 4: 73 Wins, no playoffs (result is -5% for your budget, -2% for no playoffs for total loss of 7%. New benchmark is average of years 3 and 4, 78 Wins now)

Year 5: 91 Wins, Eliminated in ALCS (result is +6.5% for record, +2% for playoffs, +1% for advancing beyond ALWC Round, +1% for advancing past ALDS = total of +10.5%, New benchmark is average of Years 4 and 5, 82 Wins and Playoffs)
Old 06-25-2014, 08:27 PM   #7
MVP

kmoser's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Just came up with this on the fly, so no idea how this would work or if it's "balanced" or whatever.

If you remember what your budget room was, maybe add 0.5 per game over .500, +2% for making the playoffs, -2% for no playoffs, and +1% per round advanced, and +5% for winning it all.

Calculate that and then apply that to your last year budget. Then in year 3 and beyond, instead of comparing to .500, you compare to a moving average of your last two seasons. If you make the playoffs in any year, that also becomes part of the benchmark. If you make it, you get the 2%, but no round bonus unless you advanced further than you did before. If not, -1% for every round earlier you exited. If you DON'T make it at all, -5%.

Once you make the playoffs - that part of the benchmark remains (the fans and GM now expect you to field a playoff team every year). So if you win 90 games and miss the playoffs - still a -5% for that part of the result.

For example:

Year 1: 76 Wins (result is -2.5% from your budget since you were 5 games under .500. -2% for no playoffs. Total is -4.5%. Benchmark is still .500)

Year 2: 84 Wins, no playoffs (result is +1.5% for your budget since you were 3 games over .500, -2% for no playoffs so net result is -0.5%. Benchmark is now the average of Year 1 and 2, 80 wins in this case).

Year 3: 83 Wins, no playoffs (result is +1.5% for your budget since you were 3 games over your benchmark. No playoffs, so -2%. Net result is -0.5%. New benchmark is the average of Year 2 and 3, 84 wins [83.5, but round up])

Year 4: 73 Wins, no playoffs (result is -5% for your budget, -2% for no playoffs for total loss of 7%. New benchmark is average of years 3 and 4, 78 Wins now)

Year 5: 91 Wins, Eliminated in ALCS (result is +6.5% for record, +2% for playoffs, +1% for advancing beyond ALWC Round, +1% for advancing past ALDS = total of +10.5%, New benchmark is average of Years 4 and 5, 82 Wins and Playoffs)
I really like this idea and think I will use it. I am in year 5 so I will have to start remembering my past years budget. I will also probably use your idea and @Knight165's idea and that should help. Thanks for the answer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
If you really want to handcuff your budgets.....you could sign scouts/managers/coaches and FA's to contracts that would leave you the amount of $$$ you think is realistic.

You can release the FA's back to the pool(and resign who you dropped to get them there).

There is still a bug with either scouts or managers/coaches that gives you the money back when you release them....but you could release your current farm director or coach and just give another one(or the same one) a big contract to tie up some bucks.

Using 30 team control(you don't need time for 30 team control guys...just put everything to AUTO for them...it's EXACTLY like playing a single team franchise then)...you could do it for every team.

M.K.

Knight165

That's a good idea to use the "unwanted" money.
The thing about 30 team control is that it has always confused me and seems kinda overwhelming. I don't want to have to draft and sign FA for every team. Do you have to do that for EVERY team or am I wrong?

Old 06-25-2014, 08:50 PM   #8
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover

For example:

Thats a great idea, I have been trying to come up with things to handicap the budget issue as well. I was thinking along the lines of what Knight was, but hadnt made u my mind yet as I havent started my chise just yet.

I keep thinking they will fix this, as its pretty crappy of them not too, especially since they fixed it on the PS4 version. Then it was hittersauras over at MLBTS nation that said there was a patch in the works in a post and he is a mod over their, so I would hope he knows what he is talking about.

Its definitely getting late in the year and I have just about gave up hope on the issues getting fixed. I really thought this Tuesday we would have seen a patch and we didnt, so if its not here within a week Id say he was just BS'ing to that poster over their and we are SOL.

I definitely have lost some respect for SCEA over this. Developer wise they are still the best in the business and its not the devs who call the final shots on patches, so Im not going to bad mouth them any, they do amazing work, but the big wigs over at MLBTS I have definitely lost a lot of respect for over this, and wont be so quick to buy day1 anymore like I have always done.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »