Home

Franchise Contracts

This is a discussion on Franchise Contracts within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-07-2014, 12:29 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Franchise Contracts

Sup guys,

I noticed almost all my players only have a 1 year contract. Is that something a player will become a free agent after this same year or the year after? For example, I'm playing a franchise with Marlins and Fernandez only has a 1 year contract??? Isn't this dude locked up for like the next 4-5 years before being available for arbitration??? Same thing goes with my other players.

P.S. Is it me or is it impossible to take a lead in this game? Seems every time is take a lead it results in a pickoff!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-07-2014, 07:27 PM   #2
Pro

Mrmagoo's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Franchise Contracts

Yup the pick off is well documented. But also know that you don't need to take anymore of a lead to be able to steal bases with the base stealers of the league. At least in the right situations. What gets me is when I press the L2 button to pre load a steal only once every couple games, that damn near everytime I do it, it's the one time the cpu throws over n gets me... Smh... Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2014, 07:42 AM   #3
MVP

HozAndMoose's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesan915
Sup guys,

I noticed almost all my players only have a 1 year contract. Is that something a player will become a free agent after this same year or the year after? For example, I'm playing a franchise with Marlins and Fernandez only has a 1 year contract??? Isn't this dude locked up for like the next 4-5 years before being available for arbitration??? Same thing goes with my other players.

P.S. Is it me or is it impossible to take a lead in this game? Seems every time is take a lead it results in a pickoff!!
The contracts are fine. IRL Fernandez only has a one year contract. Which will be renewed every year for 6 years (when he is available for free agency) or until he signs a multi year deal. A player is available for arbitration when

● They have at least three full seasons of MLB service time, and less than six. Players with six or more years of service time become free agents after their contracts have expired, while players with less than six seasons are under team-control. Up until players have acquired three seasons of service time, their salary is determined solely by their team. For years three through six, players can take their salary demands to an arbitration panel if they can’t reach an agreement with their team.

● If they have less then three full seasons of MLB service time, but are within the top 22% of players with more than two years of service time. This is called the “Super Two” exception, and it often leads to top prospects being held down in the minor leagues until they have passed the Super Two threshold. For more on this, see our Super Two page.

So until a player is available for Salary Arbitration. You can resign them for any price greater than 80% of whatever their previous salary was. And they have to accept it no matter what.

So 1 year contracts are completely normal.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:59 AM   #4
Pro

billyboy316's Arena

OVR: 7

Yea having so many guys on one year contracts for the first season is a little frustrating come the off season because it takes forever to sign everyone you want.

I also have a question regarding franchise contracts and don't feel a new thread is necessary. Say you're playing with the Cubs and want to lock up Baez and Bryant up long term. What would be a reasonable contract for them? I know the "trick" is still in place where you can sign a guy to a ten year contract for $120K or so a year but I'm trying to be a little more realistic about it.

Thanks

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »