Home

Do you think Association and/or Coach Mode will Return to the series?

This is a discussion on Do you think Association and/or Coach Mode will Return to the series? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-26-2014, 10:57 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 39

I'm starting to think Association and Coach Mode is an after thought for this series. I feel it will interfere with the current set up of the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2014, 10:52 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 2
Re: Do you think Association and/or Coach Mode will Return to the series?

Crew Mode, Quick Match, Online Quick Match, Team-Up,Association, Playoffs, MyPlayer Pickup Games/The Park Mode, MyGm, Blacktop,
Myteam,Mycareer, Playoffs, Lebron/Kd/MJ Greatest mode, Online Association,

All those modes would make 2k15, and every other game afterwards in this series worth playing. As Customers we deserve to have options at our disposal.
I think 2K has gone away from that this year in Next Gen. Hopefully this year they get it right.

Last edited by Mrleaderboards; 05-27-2014 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:46 PM   #3
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrleaderboards
Crew Mode, Quick Match, Online Quick Match, Team-Up,Association, Playoffs, MyPlayer Pickup Games/The Park Mode, MyGm, Blacktop,

All those modes would make 2k15, and every other game afterwards in this series worth playing. As Customers we deserve to have options at our disposal.
I think 2K has gone away from that this year in Next Gen. Hopefully this year they get it right.

I think having certain modes affect their micro transactions.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:05 PM   #4
Banned

RogerBlack's Arena

OVR: 0

I'm an Association guy.... but until 2K makes a 'crystal-clear' public announcement saying otherwise... I highly doubt we will ever see a 2K Association mode ever again. smh.

Why???

Because 2K has changed direction completely with next-gen consoles.
And it feels like a shift in their 'business model' that is reflected in their game.

These days, they are more interested in micro-transactions & 'Casual Gamers'.

So the game is becoming more & more of a 'glorified shopping cart’, built primarily for (impulsive) credit-card transactions. With gameplay as an afterthought.

See, Casual Gamers would never play 'Association' mode. smh.

They prefer ‘quick matches', or are usually ONLY interested in a 'single mode’ of the game.

They Get in. Get Flashy. Get Buckets. Get Styles. Get out. Move on.
Rinse & Repeat.

So, How does a developer like 2K ensure they get more micro-transactions from Casuals?

Answer - By adding RPG elements, built with mandatory 'stop points' to enable folks to spend/or buy VC. (Then call it a 'conversation engine')

Hence, ‘Association' mode does not fit into this business strategy.

Because ‘Association' mode is for 'sim ballers' and/or 'advanced gamers' who usually play ALOT, and like to see the fruits of their progress over multiple seasons (i.e. Sim Ballers think: "why should I buy VC if I will play enough games over the course of [x] seasons to purchase the stuff I want?")- which is NOT the same ‘mindset’ as a Casual Gamer. (i.e. Casuals think: "I really wanna get some new kicks before my next game. Lemme buy some VC so I can rock those new LBJs. I don't wanna wait to play [x] games to earn enough VC for it")

Casual Gamers will spend 'real money' to buy VC for sneakers & clothes.

They are the 'impulsive shoppers' that are now Priority #1 for 2K.

Back when 2k11 came out... 'Sim Ballers' were Priority #1 that 2K was focused on, because 2K wanted to beat EA for the ‘realism' heavyweight belt.

Since then, 2K won that title.

Their 'street cred' has popped off.

But nowadays, Casual Gamers are the 'impulsive shoppers' that 2K is focusing on.

Sim Ballers don't need any more convincing, because there is no more NBA competition on the store shelves from EA, or anyone else.

If EA's NBA Live were still a viable alternative, I would say 'yes'... I DEFINITELY expect to see the return of ‘Association' mode.

Because certain gameplay modes & features like Crew, Association mode + deeply customizable CAP tools are the stuff needed to win the battle for 'street cred' amongst the Sim Baller audience. (i.e Having solid ‘on-court’ gameplay is not enough, because it is expected by Sim Ballers. It's all the OTHER stuff that makes a difference)

With the limited time they have... my guess is that 2K will devote the majority of time they have left to upgrading their RPG 'conversation engine', that will in turn increase micro-transactions..... that captivate Casual Gamers & the impulsive shoppers.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:50 PM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBlack

I'm an Association guy.... but until 2K makes a 'crystal-clear' public announcement saying otherwise... I highly doubt we will ever see a 2K Association mode ever again. smh.

Why???

Because 2K has changed direction completely with next-gen consoles.
And it feels like a shift in their 'business model' that is reflected in their game.

These days, they are more interested in micro-transactions & 'Casual Gamers'.

So the game is becoming more & more of a 'glorified shopping cart’, built primarily for (impulsive) credit-card transactions. With gameplay as an afterthought.

See, Casual Gamers would never play 'Association' mode. smh.

They prefer ‘quick matches', or are usually ONLY interested in a 'single mode’ of the game.

They Get in. Get Flashy. Get Buckets. Get Styles. Get out. Move on.
Rinse & Repeat.

So, How does a developer like 2K ensure they get more micro-transactions from Casuals?

Answer - By adding RPG elements, built with mandatory 'stop points' to enable folks to spend/or buy VC. (Then call it a 'conversation engine')

Hence, ‘Association' mode does not fit into this business strategy.

Because ‘Association' mode is for 'sim ballers' and/or 'advanced gamers' who usually play ALOT, and like to see the fruits of their progress over multiple seasons (i.e. Sim Ballers think: "why should I buy VC if I will play enough games over the course of [x] seasons to purchase the stuff I want?")- which is NOT the same ‘mindset’ as a Casual Gamer. (i.e. Casuals think: "I really wanna get some new kicks before my next game. Lemme buy some VC so I can rock those new LBJs. I don't wanna wait to play [x] games to earn enough VC for it")

Casual Gamers will spend 'real money' to buy VC for sneakers & clothes.

They are the 'impulsive shoppers' that are now Priority #1 for 2K.

Back when 2k11 came out... 'Sim Ballers' were Priority #1 that 2K was focused on, because 2K wanted to beat EA for the ‘realism' heavyweight belt.

Since then, 2K won that title.

Their 'street cred' has popped off.

But nowadays, Casual Gamers are the 'impulsive shoppers' that 2K is focusing on.

Sim Ballers don't need any more convincing, because there is no more NBA competition on the store shelves from EA, or anyone else.

If EA's NBA Live were still a viable alternative, I would say 'yes'... I DEFINITELY expect to see the return of ‘Association' mode.

Because certain gameplay modes & features like Crew, Association mode + deeply customizable CAP tools are the stuff needed to win the battle for 'street cred' amongst the Sim Baller audience. (i.e Having solid ‘on-court’ gameplay is not enough, because it is expected by Sim Ballers. It's all the OTHER stuff that makes a difference)

With the limited time they have... my guess is that 2K will devote the majority of time they have left to upgrading their RPG 'conversation engine', that will in turn increase micro-transactions..... that captivate Casual Gamers & the impulsive shoppers.
I totally agree! This will be my last NBA 2K purchase if these modes don't come back.

Last edited by SHAKYR; 05-27-2014 at 02:33 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2014, 02:29 PM   #6
Rookie

Rhys1218's Arena

Probably not, it's gone in the direction of Madden with the 'Connected Careers' which is awful in my opinion. I just prefer a good old franchise/association mode where you can control nearly every aspect of it.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:30 AM   #7
Just started!

I just prefer a good old franchise
Old 05-28-2014, 04:17 AM   #8
MVP

Jrocc23's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrleaderboards
[/img]

Also don't forget lobbies. I can't even play ranked games because how easy it is for randoms to just chuck 3's and do other ish. So, I don't play those at all.

I loved the lobbies in 2K11 because I could easily just go into the HOF Lobby and get me a game without anyone really cheating or lagging the game out because it was unranked. Just a competitive game.

NBA 2K11
XtremeXplicit Crew
Ranked

Check us out: http://www.youtube.com/jroccdagameboy

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »