Home

Converting starters to relievers

This is a discussion on Converting starters to relievers within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 05-23-2014, 07:18 PM   #1
MVP

SmooveMove's Arena

OVR: 4
Converting starters to relievers

Haven't seen this discussion since 2011, and I figured things have changed since then.

I have Mark Appel in AAA, and I don't see him making his way into my rotation anytime soon, so how could I go about adjusting his ratings to convert him to a reliever.

I would imagine that in order to convert any starter to a MRP you would have to bring his stamina down to a 25, as that seems to be what most relievers have it at. What else would I need to change?

Thanks in advance.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2014, 07:42 PM   #2
Pro

@legendm0de's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Converting starters to relievers

Have you considered changing just his position from SP to RP? This is a GM decision but I don't think you would have to change his attributes just to switch his role in the rotation to the bullpen.

Is even just simply moving his spot in the rotation to the bullpen an option?
Old 05-23-2014, 08:16 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

If I convert a starter to a reliever I downgrade his stamina and up his velocity as that is a main difference from starters and relievers. Relievers are allowed to throw harder because they throw for less innings.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:32 PM   #4
MVP

SmooveMove's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by @legendm0de
Have you considered changing just his position from SP to RP? This is a GM decision but I don't think you would have to change his attributes just to switch his role in the rotation to the bullpen.

Is even just simply moving his spot in the rotation to the bullpen an option?
You can just switch his position, but it seems that you would have to adjust the pitchers ratings to account for him facing significantly less batters per game, and taking longer to reach 9 innings pitched.

For example: The rating K's per nine, which effects how many strikeouts per 9 innings a pitcher gets. For a starter nine innings is not even 2 games of work. For a reliever it will likely take at least 8 appearances, and that could take a month to happen. That may effect the way SCEA rates pitchers.

Thats just the way I see it at least.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:38 PM   #5

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar Fanatic
If I convert a starter to a reliever I downgrade his stamina and up his velocity as that is a main difference from starters and relievers. Relievers are allowed to throw harder because they throw for less innings.
That's a fallacy.

The difference is how long they can be effective maxing out velocity.

See Aroldis Chapman as an example.

The difference between starters and relievers is that some can maintain their velocity for more innings than others.

I agree with the response above yours, if you want to make him a middle reliever, just do it.

GM's in real life don't get to adjust a pitchers velocity or stamina when they make a move.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2014, 09:01 PM   #6
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar Fanatic
So you're saying if Yordano Ventura was a RP he'd throw 110?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
GM's in real life don't get to adjust a pitchers velocity or stamina when they make a move.
I adjusted Wade Davis' pitch speed in the game. They only have him hitting 92-93 when he's actually hitting 96-97 in real life. But I wouldn't do that unless I had real life evidence that he threw harder. Not all SPs turned RPs throw harder, as you already know.

Last edited by BA2929; 05-23-2014 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:06 PM   #7

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
I adjusted Wade Davis' pitch speed in the game. They only have him hitting 92-93 when he's actually hitting 96-97 in real life. But I wouldn't do that unless I had real life evidence that he threw harder. Not all SPs turned RPs throw harder, as you already know.
Yea I don't disagree, that's a completely different scenario.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:27 PM   #8
Rookie

Frank is the Tank's Arena

OVR: 6

I agree with kehlis, the position that a player plays is simply a "role." And I think we can all agree on the fact that a player will give their best effort to fulfill what they have do to contribute what they can to win. Their velocity won't change, how much movement a pitch has, it stays the same, the only thing that changes is the position.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »