Home

3rd base coach

This is a discussion on 3rd base coach within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 05-21-2014, 12:47 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
3rd base coach

Does any use the third base coach for knowing when to run or hold up?

I've found a few issues with this. Its nice that you can hit L1 to see the coach as you run. But two issues:

1. If there is a runner in front of you, the 3rd base coach is waving him around you don't readily know if the coach is waving you or the lead runner (like if the coach wants the lead runner to round and go for home, and you are trying to figure out if you should round 2nd and go to third). Maybe this is just like in real life and not a problem with the game, in which case I guess we are on our own to decide?

2. Sometimes the third base coach signals are too late. I hit a deep double with an 89 speed-rated player. I was trying to decide if I could stretch it to a triple as I was approaching 2nd. I hit L1 as I neared 2nd and the coach was not giving a signal either way. So I rounded 2nd and about 5 feet from the bag he then signals to hold up. I immediately pressed the stick to reverse directions but by then the throw came to 2nd and I was tagged out.

Its ok if we have to decide for ourselves, but its annoying when we expect to get a signal from the 3rd base coach on whether to keep going or not and instead he's either signaling the guy in front of you or giving you the information too late.

What have you guys experienced and what do you think about the situation? Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2014, 01:27 PM   #2
Rookie

nickefer's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: 3rd base coach

I notice the same pretty much as you. It's a neat "immersion" feature but for most situations it's not very beneficial. I prefer to hold down L2 while baserunning to better judge what I should do. L2 puts you in a wide view from behind home plate to see the entire field.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:37 PM   #3
MVP

cusefan74's Arena

OVR: 20

1.The coach isn't waving you around when someone is in front of you, until the other runner passes 3rd base, then he would be worried about you. So you have to wait until that runner goes by him to get your sign.

2.I can understand the coaches signals being to late because they have to wait to see what is happening. In the long run it's better for you to decide if you are gonna try for the extra base.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:46 PM   #4
War Eagle, Go Braves!

aukevin's Arena

OVR: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickefer
I notice the same pretty much as you. It's a neat "immersion" feature but for most situations it's not very beneficial. I prefer to hold down L2 while baserunning to better judge what I should do. L2 puts you in a wide view from behind home plate to see the entire field.
Me too. I use L2 instead of the base coach.

Atlanta Braves
- Auburn Tigers - Nashville Predators
Old 05-28-2014, 09:18 AM   #5
Rookie

wwhickok's Arena

OVR: 0

In RTTS, I think the 3rd base coach is generally an idiot. I've got guys in front of me holding up at 2nd when I could be on 3rd. Two nights ago when I played an appearance in fact, the ball hit the wall and bounced back, behind the center fielder, I was stuck on first base...the dude who was on 1st never ran to 3rd... I could easily have gotten a triple, AT MINIMUM a double, even if the guy in front of me had cement blocks for feet. The worst part, there were 0 outs and we both got stranded after 3 straight pop fly outs to shallow right field.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-28-2014, 09:41 AM   #6
Just started!

OVR: 0

yeah, In the long run it's better for you to decide if you are gonna try for the extra base.thanks

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »