Home

Terrible at batting

This is a discussion on Terrible at batting within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 04-27-2014, 10:44 AM   #1
Rookie

fuuuma's Arena

OVR: 0
Terrible at batting

Im just horrible at batting in this game and im using the pure analog controllers. Is it harder with pure analong compared to timing or is it just me being the worst ever ? Im currently struggeling to break .230 on my rtts 2b in the majors. Im using the dynamic difficulty and had the worst slump going from veteran+ to rookie in a short amount of time. I was doing decently on veteran but suddenly I just couldn't hit anything. Im basically only able to hit fast balls cause I swing early on most of the breaking balls. Im terrible at holding back so I often swing at pitches out of the zone. I have to just work the count and hope that the pitchers don't throw me 2 strikes and get me into a 0-2 count. I havn't really changed the sliders yet since I want to become better at hitting not just making it easier for myself. Anyone else struggeling or have any suggestions ?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2014, 03:00 PM   #2
Rookie

OSfan093's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Terrible at batting

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuuuma
Im just horrible at batting in this game and im using the pure analog controllers. Is it harder with pure analong compared to timing or is it just me being the worst ever ? Im currently struggeling to break .230 on my rtts 2b in the majors. Im using the dynamic difficulty and had the worst slump going from veteran+ to rookie in a short amount of time. I was doing decently on veteran but suddenly I just couldn't hit anything. Im basically only able to hit fast balls cause I swing early on most of the breaking balls. Im terrible at holding back so I often swing at pitches out of the zone. I have to just work the count and hope that the pitchers don't throw me 2 strikes and get me into a 0-2 count. I havn't really changed the sliders yet since I want to become better at hitting not just making it easier for myself. Anyone else struggeling or have any suggestions ?
A few things I'd suggest. The biggest thing, try some different camera angles and see what you like. I recommend one that has some kind of offset angle. I think it makes it a lot easier to recognize pitches and lay off those breaking balls, when you get that little angle from the side. There are some okay batting views that SCEA gives you, but I'd suggest trying a custom camera. I basically use this batting view - http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ra-2012-a.html - except instead of being offset from the outside, I like the inside offset. So I basically set it up the same as those instructions, except I move the right stick LEFT instead of right. I like the inside offset better because it makes me feel more like I'm actually the hitter. It seems more realistic, and it makes it easier to recognize pitches from the opposite handedness pitcher (i.e. RHB vs. LHP). Either way though, the offset nature of the camera will help pitch recognition, it just takes a little bit to get used to. If it's too much of an angle for you, make it a small bit more centered. Even small changes to the angle will have noticeable effects. Bottom line, play around with the custom camera a little in practice and see how the different angles work for you.

Aside from changing the batting view, I'd give you two other critical tips. 1st off, with pure analog you MUST get your stride down pat. Stride timing is KEY. Pay close attention to the little window that pops up and tells you your timing. Make sure you're getting GOOD or PERFECT strides. Those will get you good solid contact, even if your timing on the swing isn't great.

Once you get your stride down and figure out when you need to start it (somewhere right around the back of the pitchers delivery - basically right when he's about to start moving his body forward), then you can focus on pitch recognition. You must get your stride correct before this. It will be second nature and it will allow you to have enough time to focus solely on the pitcher's release. If you're worrying about getting your stride correct, you will end up swinging at everything. So your stride timing needs to be second nature before you can start becoming more disciplined.

As far as pitch recognition and timing goes, you need to focus on the pitcher's release. You have to pick the ball up at his release point. If you don't start seeing it until it's already released, you'll have no chance. So focus on his release point and the very first split seconds of the ball movement. Very early on you should be able to tell if you want to swing or not (for the most part). It's just like real life, you have to decide early on. BUT you cannot panic about it. You need to think quickly, but calmly. Just SEE THE PITCH, and ANTICIPATE the trajectory of the ball. If it looks like it's on track to go out of the strike zone, don't feel the need to swing. Do not decide to swing or take before the pitch is thrown.

Don't be afraid to take pitches, even if they are on the corners. You can't hit those pitches. Take them early in the count, and don't go after those unless you're down to two strikes and need to protect. Know the count. If you're up 3-0, "shrink" your personal strike zone. Don't try and predetermine where he's going to throw the pitch, if it'll be a ball or strike. Say "okay, I've got the advantage here, I'm only going to swing it's a good pitch to hit". Visualize your strike zone as smaller than it actually is, and only swing if it's in that "new" strike zone. If you're down in the count, it's the other way. You're down 0-2, 1-2, don't decide you need to swing. Just realize that if the ball looks like its going to be a strike, or be close, swing. But you cannot determine that before the pitch is thrown. Don't think "I need to swing". Just focus on that strike zone, and swing only if it's close to it.

So use the count to "create" yourself a strike zone for that pitch, rather than to create a mentality. You shouldn't feel any more or less likely to swing, no matter what the count is. Instead you need to diminish or expand the area of the plate that you will swing.

Sorry if I threw a lot of information at you there, and if I didn't do a great job explaining some of it. Tldr; get a good batting view->time your stride->recogize the early trajectory->be aware of your strike zone

Work on those things, in that order. Hope some of it helps

Last edited by OSfan093; 04-27-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:38 PM   #3
Rookie

fuuuma's Arena

Thank you for a very detailed post. I am in fact using that exact camera angle, but i'm still very triggerhappy. My stride is usually good or at worst just late or just early if the pitcher has a funky delivery.

I usually get really good wood on the balls but they just won't seem to drop or they are hit hard right at infielders. Im getting points for good at bats very frequently so it seems like i'm doing something right. Hard liners go straight at outfielders or just shy of the gaps and I have a ton of warning track fly balls.

I've started to try changing my swing depending on the situation. I often see that it's not going to hit the strikezone but I swing anyway for some reason. Maybe i'll try your thing and switch the angle of the camera, even though I am sort of seeing from the batters pov at the moment. Maybe it's because i'm a switch hitter ?

The worst part for me is hitting offspeed pitches, I always swing early on those and rarely get hits. Oh and i'm not using guess pitch or anything like that. I guess I just have to stick with it until im able to pick up the ball better

Im in my rookie season in the mlb now batting .231 in 277 ab with only 8 walks and 60 strikeouts.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:38 PM   #4
Rookie

fuuuma's Arena

Terrible at batting

Okey now i've been watching the ball more closely and it seems to be helping me recognize the ball a little better. I think this might have been my biggest problem. Thank you very much for the tip I really appreciate it.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:49 PM   #5
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13

I use the extended catcher zoom. The only pitch that gives me trouble is the slider. I've been thinking about putting some tilt on it to help me, but I like to stick with default since you can't use custom cameras for online play (unless they changed it from 13).

My advice is learn how to hit to opposite field. It opens the door for you so much. When you wait back, the only pitch you are vulnerable to is a good fastball inside. In that case, take it or foul it off if you have 2 strikes. Only look for inside fastballs when you have a good hitter's count.

My whole approach is to go up the middle to right center. I hit so many homeruns to opposite field, but I can still react and turn on inside sliders, changeups, curves, etc. I just have trained myself to lay off inside fastballs.

Remember when going opposite field you have to place PCI slightly above where you actually want it (PCI drops when you swing later and rises when you swing earlier), but if you are using Pure analog it won't really matter.

Also only look for mistakes when you have a 3-1 or 2-0 count and swing at nothing else. Mistake pitches do the most damage and you will end up getting a few per series. Sometimes they aren't fastballs though and that is the key to keeping your hands back and waiting on it. You can still hit the fastball to oppo, yet you can still pull offspeed pitches.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2014, 01:17 AM   #6
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalbird7
I use the extended catcher zoom. The only pitch that gives me trouble is the slider. I've been thinking about putting some tilt on it to help me, but I like to stick with default since you can't use custom cameras for online play (unless they changed it from 13).

My advice is learn how to hit to opposite field. It opens the door for you so much. When you wait back, the only pitch you are vulnerable to is a good fastball inside. In that case, take it or foul it off if you have 2 strikes. Only look for inside fastballs when you have a good hitter's count.

My whole approach is to go up the middle to right center. I hit so many homeruns to opposite field, but I can still react and turn on inside sliders, changeups, curves, etc. I just have trained myself to lay off inside fastballs.

Remember when going opposite field you have to place PCI slightly above where you actually want it (PCI drops when you swing later and rises when you swing earlier), but if you are using Pure analog it won't really matter.

Also only look for mistakes when you have a 3-1 or 2-0 count and swing at nothing else. Mistake pitches do the most damage and you will end up getting a few per series. Sometimes they aren't fastballs though and that is the key to keeping your hands back and waiting on it. You can still hit the fastball to oppo, yet you can still pull offspeed pitches.
This is a very good advice (not that I can hit like this), but at the same time is why I really wish the opposite field power gets nerfed a bit in the game.

If you can afford it, it is always a good idea to give yourself a bit more time to watch the pitch, and that's the premise of good plate discipline which most guys luck.

But if you are (unintentionally) late on a pitch, then your bat should not be making the contact with the pitch for the best contact. The reason why most batters need to pull for power is that the best contact is made when you extend your arms and make the point of contact a bit toward the pitchers side when the swing speed is maximum.

So there should be some sacrifice in power when you are not pulling. If you can hit opposite HRs willingly, then there really is no reason to try to pull and lost a fraction of second that you could be using to judge the pitch trajectory.

A few guys know this (as in cardinalbird5's post), and use it well to their advantage. But if the game nerfs the opposite field power more, then these guys have to change their strategy, which gives us more ways to retire them which forces us to be more strategic in pitching. And those who don't yet know that you have to pull to generate power, that adds to the game since there is an additional element to hitting.

I don't know why I'm ranting about opposite field power in this thread, though. That's a mystery.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:04 AM   #7
Rookie

fuuuma's Arena

I appreciate all the information I can get to improve my batting, i'm batting over .250 atleast now so I seem to have improved a little. I have become more patient and have actually hit a few hanging breaking balls out of the park now. I usually pull the breaking balls instead of going opposite field since i'm usually early on them but the downside to this is that i'm vulnerable to the 95+ heat. I also still have trouble seeing if it's a fastball or a straight change, I just feel the weak contact when I foul it or get a ground ball. I don't play online at all so i'm fine with changing my camera angle to see the ball better.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:05 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalbird7
Good info. I didnt know this. Thanks

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »