Home

DT Depth chart question

This is a discussion on DT Depth chart question within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-22-2014, 03:48 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
DT Depth chart question

If im playing with a clearly defined pass rusher and run stopper combination at DT in a 4-3 front, which side of the interior (ldt/rdt) should they play, and how should I order the depth chart to relect this

Im thinking run defense and pass rushing skills of surrounding players would influence it, but is there anything complex relating to gaps and AI of OLs that would influence it also?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2014, 07:19 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: DT Depth chart question

Conventional philosophy is to put the run-stopper (big and strong) at nose-tackle, aligned over the center, and have the pass-rusher (undersized and fast) play 3-technique aligned on the outside shoulder of the guard.

For HC09, this means placing the pass-rusher at DT1 where he plays the left DT and lines up just ouside the guard. Consequently, the run-stopper is placed at DT2 where he plays the right DT and lines up over the opposite shoulder of the center. One caution: this is the "correct" depth chart placement for normal and over variants of 4-3 where the right DT is over the center. The reverse is true if you use 4-3 under variants. (I'm using left and right from the point of view of a defensive player.)

All that said, AI blocking is poor in HC09, and the run-stopper DT won't draw double-teams like they would in the NFL. Even so, centers are usually the lightest linemen and guards the heaviest. If you play the games, the size/speed mismatches created by the coventional wisdom should help. If you sim or super-sim, the game logic is simplified, and these considerations may not matter.

Last edited by SwimsWithPhins; 04-22-2014 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:43 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

Thanks. That clears a few things up.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:57 AM   #4
Rookie

I'm glad I could help!

This is the issue that annoyed me into never mixing 3-man and 4-man fronts in the same playbook. Unless you substitute players or re-order your depth chart, your DT1 (the undersized, quick, 3-technique pass-rusher) from 4-man fronts becomes the DT1 (supposed to be a big, strong, nose-tackle run-stopper) in 3-man fronts. That's the wrong guy! Why didn't EA just put the nose-tackle at DT1 for 4-3?

What I'd like to see in the imaginary HC-ever-again or Madden's HC-ever-again mode, , is the ability to assign default personnel according to both formation and down-and-distance. Then this DT problem would be solved, and I would have the additional freedom to automatically have my 4-3 DE line up as an OLB in 3-4 formations. Or even fancier, I could automatically substitute-in my run-stopping ROLB in place of my pass-rushing ROLB but only in 3rd and short situations from a 4-3 formation. Think of all the wonderful possibilities for using the right players in the right places at the right times!

Last edited by SwimsWithPhins; 04-24-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:09 AM   #5
Pro

Formation subs that can be saved and carry over to the next game/season would really help. They had this feature in Madden 08, no idea why they took it out.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »