Home

What players can you hit/not with? Pitch/not pitch with?

This is a discussion on What players can you hit/not with? Pitch/not pitch with? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-11-2014, 08:57 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 4
What players can you hit/not with? Pitch/not pitch with?

This is meant to be a fun thread. Basically list some relatively high rated pitchers and hitters that you struggle using and vice versa list some lower rated players that you do great with!.

For me I cannot for the life of me hit with Tulo. Idk why but I just fly out and line out with him every time. I also cannot pitch very well Darvish. I get too many solid hits but I do strikeout a lot of people with him.

On the flip side for some reason I can shred people with Andrew Cashner. Just strikeouts all over haha. Also for some reason I rake with Nick Hundley.

How about you guys?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2014, 01:31 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33
Re: What players can you hit/not with? Pitch/not pitch with?

I was thinking about starting a thread just like this--great idea. One of the things that I love/hate about The Show is when I either rake with someone who is supposed to suck or can't hit for crap with someone who is supposed to be good.

I use OAK a lot, and every year I absolutely destroy people with Brandon Moss. He hits lefties and righties just fine for me, slugs and walks like a champ, and plays way beyond his ratings.

I'm also killing it with Daric Barton. I walk a lot with him and am hitting about .265, which I consider an achievement. Between his BA and his OBP, he's proven to be a huge asset, despite an OVR around 65.

This year, I can't hit with Josh Donaldson to save my life. I've batted him 2nd, 5th, 6th, and even 7th to try to find somewhere he can settle in and work for me, but I can't crack the Mendoza line with him.

Pitching-wise, this year Scott Kazmir is a Cy Young candidate-type-player for me, despite the 80 OVR rating. He doesn't K a lot of guys, but he doesn't walk many either, pitches deep into games, and just doesn't give up runs. He's got a sub 2.0 ERA for me.

Another guy I destroy with is Fernando Abad. For some reason, his 61 OVR doesn't mean anything. I get that FB in the upper 90s and the CRV just breaks people. I had to send him down after ST because I have so many good arms in the pen, but he easily played his way onto the big-league club on stats alone.

On the other side of things, AJ Griffin gets shelled every time out, no matter the opponent. And he wastes a TON of pitches, laboring to get through 5 as a general rule.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:59 PM   #3
Pro

Troopershorty51's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man

This year, I can't hit with Josh Donaldson to save my life. I've batted him 2nd, 5th, 6th, and even 7th to try to find somewhere he can settle in and work for me, but I can't crack the Mendoza line with him.
This. I don't understand what it is with Josh Donaldson and MLB the Show but I can never hit with him no matter what his ratings are. Granted this is on 13 but I even downloaded new rosters which had him in the 90's and I still couldn't hit anywhere close to what he does in real life.

Another one for me is Matt Kemp. I do a lot of fantasy draft 'chises and continually take him, telling myself how good a hitter he is, then completely suck with him for some reason.

In my most recent 'chise I've been raking with Gordon Beckham. Not sure what it is, if it's his swing or his stance or what, but I've had an awesome time using him so far.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:55 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troopershorty51
This. I don't understand what it is with Josh Donaldson and MLB the Show but I can never hit with him no matter what his ratings are. Granted this is on 13 but I even downloaded new rosters which had him in the 90's and I still couldn't hit anywhere close to what he does in real life.

Another one for me is Matt Kemp. I do a lot of fantasy draft 'chises and continually take him, telling myself how good a hitter he is, then completely suck with him for some reason.

In my most recent 'chise I've been raking with Gordon Beckham. Not sure what it is, if it's his swing or his stance or what, but I've had an awesome time using him so far.
So funny you mention Kemp. When I don't play as OAK, I often play as LAD, and Kemp sucks so bad for me that I want to trade him. I hit better with Eithier, who is less balanced, than Kemp. I only get good things from him in the field, and if he does get on, with a SB or two. Other than that, he's an expensive piece of turd.

On the Dodgers, I always kill it with Adrian. Every year. Love that dude.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:27 PM   #5
Rookie

Alfonsori's Arena

OVR: 1

I cant hit with Jose Bautista. I just plain s*ck with him. Runners in scoring position, definite strike out or pop out.
With Adam Dunn on the other hand, i absolute crush pitchers. I hit a 501 ft homer with him, the furthest i have ever hit a ball in the show.

I pitch extremely well with Arodys Vizcaino. He's my closer for my cubbies 'chise. He has an ERA of 0.98 right now. And i just love Donnie Veal. I strike out a ton of guys with his curve.
On the other hand, i cant pitch with Chapman, Kershaw, Sale or Price. For some strange reason I absolute s*ck with high rated lefties. But with low rated lefties, i dominate.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2014, 03:53 AM   #6
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

I actually pitch well with most any pitcher. When it comes to hitting and this has been the case for a few years now I cant hit with Votto very well. Yet somehow I manage to hit with a Cozart, who cant hit worth a lick IRL. Last year I even drop Cozart ratings way down and somehow I still managed hit hit with him, which was odd, considering how bad he sucks IRL.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 04-13-2014, 03:56 AM   #7
MVP

MrOldboy's Arena

OVR: 0

I've noticed that some stances I hit better with and some I hit worse with. Not the player, but the batting stance animation. Some I get my timing thrown off once in a while, while others I have no issue at all.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:05 AM   #8
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
I've noticed that some stances I hit better with and some I hit worse with. Not the player, but the batting stance animation. Some I get my timing thrown off once in a while, while others I have no issue at all.
I could see that different stances make it easier to hit even with poor hitters, I nevr thought of that. I also think this year they have changed the stride so not every player has the same stride timing. Maybe I just havent played 13 in a while but I dont remember noticing this in past versions but maybe it was there and I didnt realize it.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »