Home

OSFM Pitch Edits 2014

This is a discussion on OSFM Pitch Edits 2014 within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 04-07-2014, 07:02 PM   #1
The Future

seanjeezy's Arena

OVR: 34
OSFM Pitch Edits 2014

Yo guys what's up! As some of you know, I basically took last year off since I couldn't commit the time to get the pitch edits roster out in a timely matter. Luckily that won't be a problem this year, so without further ado here's the spreadsheet with final 2013 edits:

THIS IS THE CURRENT SPREADSHEET WITH 2014 EDITS

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

For those of you who are new or are not familiar with my pitch edits, here's a quick rundown:

Q: Where do you get your data from? Fangraphs? Texas Leaguers? Brooks Baseball?

A: I use Brooks Baseball because it is the only site to use manual classifications. Why is this important? Pitch f/x uses computer generated algorithms to classify pitches, and while the recognition system has improved over the years, it isn't without faults (both minor and major). Easiest example is Felix Hernandez's changeup, its often mis-classified as his sinker (and vice versa) due to the similarities in speed and movement.

Brooks also has spring training, AFL, and WBC data, so a few minor league pitchers have data too!

Q: OK, so how do you translate the data into the game? I don't see any classifications for sweeping curves, circle-changeups, or running fastballs. What about pitch movement?

A: I have developed my own formulas based on movement and batted ball data, and combined them with anecdotal and visual evidence. For example, if a 4-seam fastball has 6 (~2 baseball widths) or more inches of horizontal movement, I classify it as a running fastball. Movement ratings are also based on my own formulas, which are a secret

Brooks also started posting pitch grips recently, so you'll see more knuckle-curves, split-changes, and the like more often.

Q: Is there anything new in this year's set?

A: Yeah, the aforementioned pitches will be in more abundance this year. I also added two more slots (up to 7 pitches now), included usage %'s, tweaked some movement formulas and will be experimenting with command ratings based on the new "grooved pitches" and "horizontal/vertical pitch location" filters over on Brooks. And of course, updated repertoires and MLB debuts as well.

Q: When will you start inputting the data into the game?
When will you finish?

A: Pitch edits are usually the 3rd iteration of the OSFM rosters so I have to wait until then. I usually wait until May to start compiling 2014 data and the whole compiling/input process takes roughly a month, soooo ETA is around late May/early June. OSFM's delay doesn't really affect the release since I wait a bit anyways.

If you have any questions about specific pitches or player repertoires, feel free to post in the thread. If you have any anecdotal or visual evidence for certain pitchers, feel free to post as well. There hasn't been a pitch corrections thread posted so this thread can be used as that too I guess.

CURRENT PROGRESS:
SPREADSHEET: 100%
ROSTER FILE: ~100%

O.S.F.M. v3 PITCH EDITS
PSN: seanjeezy

Last edited by seanjeezy; 06-13-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2014, 07:13 PM   #2
MVP

jkra0512's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: OSFM Pitch Edits 2014

I always wait and start my Franchise after you release this. Love it, and totally worth the wait!
Old 04-07-2014, 07:32 PM   #3
MVP

BrianU's Arena

OVR: 2

Phenomenal.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:44 PM   #4
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

I am going to wait on this before I go full bore into franchise.

With RTTS and some classic roster season replays......I can wait.

I look forward to experiencing my franchise with these pitch edits as pitching is my very favorite part of the game!!!
Madden 21 (PS5)
NBA 2K24 (PS5)
Dragons Dogma 2 (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 04-08-2014, 06:20 PM   #5
Rookie

OhioCub's Arena

Sean, I look at Brooks baseball too and I've noticed 3 types of changeups by the movement. One breaks down and slightly in, one breaks down and in alot and the third breaks down and in but only slightly for both. Obviously two of em are the straight change and the circle change but I can't figure out if the third is a palmball or what. Any ideas?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2014, 06:35 PM   #6
The Future

seanjeezy's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioCub
Sean, I look at Brooks baseball too and I've noticed 3 types of changeups by the movement. One breaks down and slightly in, one breaks down and in alot and the third breaks down and in but only slightly for both. Obviously two of em are the straight change and the circle change but I can't figure out if the third is a palmball or what. Any ideas?
Depends. In real life, movement is determined by these factors:

Arm angle/release point
Grip/finger pressure
Pronation/Supination

So say my changeup grip was three fingers across four seams (aka standard straight change grip), but I threw low 3/4 and therefore pronated fairly early. The movement would be akin to the circle change in-game and therefore I would label it as a circle change since movement trumps grip for me. In the game you really only have control over grip type, arm angle has a very minimal effect on movement.

So to answer your question - #1 straight change #2 circle change #3 circle change with less movement. I only label split-changes and palmballs if specifically mentioned.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:22 PM   #7
Rookie

OhioCub's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
Depends. In real life, movement is determined by these factors:

Arm angle/release point
Grip/finger pressure
Pronation/Supination

So say my changeup grip was three fingers across four seams (aka standard straight change grip), but I threw low 3/4 and therefore pronated fairly early. The movement would be akin to the circle change in-game and therefore I would label it as a circle change since movement trumps grip for me. In the game you really only have control over grip type, arm angle has a very minimal effect on movement.

So to answer your question - #1 straight change #2 circle change #3 circle change with less movement. I only label split-changes and palmballs if specifically mentioned.
Thanks for that clarification, I know about arm angle and all that you mentioned in real life, just wasn't sure if that difference was strictly from those factors or if it was a totally different type of pitch/grip.

Also, has there been any change the speed ranges of any of the pitches this year (waiting for the PS4 version myself)? I know there's been times (Joel Zumaya is one that comes to mind) where a certain pitcher has the movement of a 2-seamer but the velocity is higher than the 2-seamer allows in game.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:53 AM   #8
Banned

INCREDIBLE !!!!

I have your 2012 Fielding and Baserunning Speeds Edits. Are you doing them again for 2013 ?

Thanks.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »