Home

Hitting in NHL 14

This is a discussion on Hitting in NHL 14 within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-04-2014, 01:10 PM   #1
Rookie

coolcat3's Arena

OVR: 0
Hitting in NHL 14

In NHL 14 I have a Dman who is 6'4 235lbs and for some reason I cannot lay a hit on anyone. I usually just push them to there knees. Even when I connect with a hip check it isn't the big hit I was hoping for. Are there any attributes I should beef up to make my Dman more physical? Or is there a certain technique to body and hip checking that will give me better results? I have searched youtube for hitting tutorials but have found really nothing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2014, 03:39 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Hitting in NHL 14

Aggressiveness, Body Checking, Accel, Speed, and Strength all play a role in checking. And if you don't want to be thrown in the box, discipline. No point in lighting a guy up if costs you 2 or 5 minutes

Hitting is very situational but fundamentally, you should be squared up on them (LT/L2 helps). It also helps when they are vulnerable--right after a pass or shot, when they are stopped or deking. The best places for defensemen to go for hits as at the blue lines if you have help behind you.

If you are playing offline, you could adjust the sliders. If you are playing online most of the superstar or legend players have enough points to not go down too often
Old 04-05-2014, 02:12 AM   #3
Rookie

coolcat3's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by josefrees
Aggressiveness, Body Checking, Accel, Speed, and Strength all play a role in checking. And if you don't want to be thrown in the box, discipline. No point in lighting a guy up if costs you 2 or 5 minutes

Hitting is very situational but fundamentally, you should be squared up on them (LT/L2 helps). It also helps when they are vulnerable--right after a pass or shot, when they are stopped or deking. The best places for defensemen to go for hits as at the blue lines if you have help behind you.

If you are playing offline, you could adjust the sliders. If you are playing online most of the superstar or legend players have enough points to not go down too often
That's funny. Ive been told by a few people that the only real numbers that matter when hitting was your weight. I usually press LT to turn my man around. Are you suggesting that I hold LT until I perform the hit? And would Aggressiveness and Body Checking weigh more into the hitting equation than anything else?
Old 04-05-2014, 03:24 AM   #4
Rookie

idk if its different but on PS3 its alot to do with just timing, hitting with the right momentum, angle, etc
Old 04-05-2014, 05:19 PM   #5
Pro

emericaridr11's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat3
That's funny. Ive been told by a few people that the only real numbers that matter when hitting was your weight. I usually press LT to turn my man around. Are you suggesting that I hold LT until I perform the hit? And would Aggressiveness and Body Checking weigh more into the hitting equation than anything else?
Aggression is the big one for me.... turn up Aggression and you will probably hit easier

honestly Im oppo though, I have to play with Aggression to 0-2 (CPU-2 Hum-0) cause its freakin NHL Hitz out there
but for me by far Aggression is the most influence a slider has on Hitting (in my personal experience)

Acceleration changes alot for me too within Hitting, higher Acc=easier to smash, goes with "Momentum" so makes some sense

(again for me I have to play with this Lower than I want, cause I like to bump fools in front of the net and not out right smash them)

some things to try
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2014, 02:42 PM   #6
Rookie

scarlemsfinest's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat3
I usually hold the left analog stick until I finish my check, and if I want to deliver a bigger hit, I actually flick it in the direction of the person I want to hit just before I hit them, seems to work for me, whether the person I used was big or small or a light or heavy hitter.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:13 AM   #7
Just started!

yes,i think so,whether the person I used was big or small or a light or heavy hitter.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:07 PM   #8
Rookie

coolcat3's Arena

Hey Guys. I seem to be getting better a hitting. I lowered my D mans Measurements from 6'4 235lbs to 6'2 215lbs. I can skate with more speed and agility which allow for some bigger hits. But now I have a question about hip checking. I have the game for the 360 and when using the skill stick you can click the right stick and that allows your man to throw his hip into the puck carrier. There is a way to make your player bend down even lower when throwing his hip and I wanted to know how to do that? Do you use the left stick to do so?

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »