Home

Quick counts question..??

This is a discussion on Quick counts question..?? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-03-2014, 03:10 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 2
Quick counts question..??

Has anyone experienced a 0 - 0 count on quick counts.. ??? I have tried several games but have not seen one.. There are many, many times when a batter swings and gets hits on the first pitch.. I like the idea of QC, but if there is never a 0-0 count, it really takes away from the realism of the game..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2014, 03:24 AM   #2
MVP

MatrixTN's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Quick counts question..??

There are 9 of the 12 counts that you will face - all 3 ball counts (3-0, 3-1, 3-2), all 2 strike counts (0-2, 1-2, 2-2, 3-2 already included), all 1 strike counts (0-1, 1-1, 2-1, 3-1 already included) - the only counts you won't encounter are 0-0, 1-0 & 2-0.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:31 AM   #3
Crunchy

Mabster's Arena

OVR: 7

It will not generate a 0-0 count.

QC already takes a bit of imagination, I'm surprised it not generating a 0-0 count is a big deal.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:57 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

Here is thing that is bothering me about quick counts. What if you need to bunt
someone over and you come to the plate with 2 strikes already. Or, you
want to steal on an early count.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:06 PM   #5
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstaring2000
Since we are in the land of make believe with QC, you have to chalk up the 2 strike count as a failed bunt attempt. As far as stealing, sometimes I will just try the hit and run. I know these are strategic moments in the game but if the game has to keep reverting back to a normal pace it pulls itself away from its intended purpose.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2014, 03:50 PM   #6
Senior AI Programmer - MLB: The Show

OVR: 7

For those interested, here is the exact Strategy Guide text describing Quick Counts:
Quick Counts allows you to significantly speed up games with much shorter at-bats. Instead of starting counts on 0-0, counts will start on middle and late counts. The most common starting counts are 1-1 and 2-1, followed by the 3-2, 2-2, and 2-1 counts. Pitcher versus batter attributes have an influence on how often 3-0 vs 0-2 counts show up, but every batter will see each count. There is a small balancing bonus that helps a batter put the ball into play more often, to compensate for the reduced number of pitches he'll see in an at-bat. Overall, you'll see an increase in strikeouts and base on balls balanced by fewer fouls. Every pitch you throw will be more critical, because there are far fewer of them.

As a rough guideline, if a game would have had 145 pitches thrown without Quick Counts, then with Quick Counts on that would translate to about 80 pitches 'actually thrown' plus an additional 105 'simulated pitches' for a total of 185 pitches. As a compromise for realism, the game corrects for this inflated number by subtracting 1 pitch per plate appearance for display purposes, so that a pitcher's individual pitch count will appear more comparable to a regular game.

The 'Simulated pitches' in Quick Counts drain less energy, to balance out fatigue loss. Quick Counts is set globally when entering a game, and CPU hitters and pitchers will adjust their strategy to take adapt to the higher leverage gameplay balance.

If the feature described above doesn't sound appealing to you, we do offer other toppings.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:56 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian SCEA
For those interested, here is the exact Strategy Guide text describing Quick Counts:
Quick Counts allows you to significantly speed up games with much shorter at-bats. Instead of starting counts on 0-0, counts will start on middle and late counts. The most common starting counts are 1-1 and 2-1, followed by the 3-2, 2-2, and 2-1 counts. Pitcher versus batter attributes have an influence on how often 3-0 vs 0-2 counts show up, but every batter will see each count. There is a small balancing bonus that helps a batter put the ball into play more often, to compensate for the reduced number of pitches he'll see in an at-bat. Overall, you'll see an increase in strikeouts and base on balls balanced by fewer fouls. Every pitch you throw will be more critical, because there are far fewer of them.

As a rough guideline, if a game would have had 145 pitches thrown without Quick Counts, then with Quick Counts on that would translate to about 80 pitches 'actually thrown' plus an additional 105 'simulated pitches' for a total of 185 pitches. As a compromise for realism, the game corrects for this inflated number by subtracting 1 pitch per plate appearance for display purposes, so that a pitcher's individual pitch count will appear more comparable to a regular game.

The 'Simulated pitches' in Quick Counts drain less energy, to balance out fatigue loss. Quick Counts is set globally when entering a game, and CPU hitters and pitchers will adjust their strategy to take adapt to the higher leverage gameplay balance.

If the feature described above doesn't sound appealing to you, we do offer other toppings.

Appreciate the detailed describution above.Wondering if you can confirm that the strike frequency issue in regular MoM mode is a bug?
Warriors
Sharks
Old 04-04-2014, 02:07 PM   #8
Banned

RedSoxFox7's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstaring2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
Since we are in the land of make believe with QC, you have to chalk up the 2 strike count as a failed bunt attempt. As far as stealing, sometimes I will just try the hit and run. I know these are strategic moments in the game but if the game has to keep reverting back to a normal pace it pulls itself away from its intended purpose.
This, and you probably shouldn't be bunting in the first place. It's almost always counter-productive.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »