Home

Jimbo's Ratings Calculator inc. Historic Calculator (with downloads)

This is a discussion on Jimbo's Ratings Calculator inc. Historic Calculator (with downloads) within the MLB The Show Last Gen Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Rosters
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-26-2014, 10:39 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Jimbo's Ratings Calculator inc. Historic Calculator (with downloads)

Due to the fact I am unable to modify the opening post of my original thread (banned!!), this is where all my downloads and updates will now be located.

As well as my original basic MLB calculator, I now have a new version that is linked to Brooks Baseball and downloads pitch f/x data into the calculator.

We all love a bit of nostalgia, so I have created a historic ratings calculator that allows you to produce ratings from 1950 onwards.

There is also a nifty wee Excel file that lets you access rosters and basic player info and stats for every team, from 1883 onwards!!

The Brooks Baseball version of the calculator, the historic ratings calculator and the historic rosters program all pull information from the web, so an internet connection is needed for them to work.

Not sure how my ratings will compare to those in MLB The Show 2014 but as usual all the formulas can be modified in the "Calcs" tab and there are alternative formulas listed here as well.

26/03/14 --- New thread started to replace the old one!!
02/04/14 --- Brooks Baseball version of the calculator available to download
14/04/14 --- Fixed issue with pitcher year drop down menu (Historic)
16/04/14 --- Fixed problem with wrong baserunning formula being used (Historic)
17/04/14 --- Fixed issue with the 1969 vsLHP data (Historic)
18/04/14 --- A trial V2 of the Historic Calculator now features personal info
30/04/14 --- A couple of pitcher clutch rating formulas added to historic calc
05/05/14 --- Fixed issue with K/9 rating for 2013
08/05/14 --- Updated calculator query so it can still access Brooks Baseball
15/05/14 --- Additions and minor changes to Historic Calculator formulas
29/05/14 --- Historic Rosters download available
29/05/14 --- Alternative Break Rating calculation added (see page 9)
29/05/14 --- New H/9 formula now being used across all calculators
10/06/14 --- The regular vision formula is now the default in the historic calculator

** My ISP has now stopped providing webspace, so if you require any of the programs below then just leave a message and I will give you a link to them!! **

MLB Calculator with Brooks Baseball data (results up to 12/07/16)

* Note: the Brooks Baseball part of the calculator does not work with Open Office or old versions of Excel

Historic Ratings Calculator (Create ratings from 1950 onwards)

Version 2:

(See note on Page 5 for one issue with the historic calculators!!)

Historic Rosters (Rosters and basic player info/stats for every MLB team from 1883 onwards!!)

If you have any questions or problems then feel free to get in touch!!

Last edited by saintjimbo1885; 05-13-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2014, 10:46 AM   #2
MVP

dodgerblue's Arena

OVR: 19
re: Jimbo's Ratings Calculator inc. Historic Calculator (with downloads)

Wow Jim, just downloaded the original. I'm not much of a roster guy but I sure appreciate your work here. What kind of results are you getting with these?

Last edited by dodgerblue; 03-26-2014 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:01 AM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerblue
Wow Jim, just downloaded the original. I'm not much of a roster guy but I sure appreciate your work here. What kind of results are you getting with these?

Found the game played well with the modified OSFM rosters that I used but when it came to simming, I found that the results were pretty mixed - some years worked out ok and then others were well wide of the mark.

I have made a few tweeks for this year and along with the changes they have made to this years game, especially the CPU plate discipline, I don't know how things will work out but I will have fun finding out!!
Old 03-26-2014, 12:40 PM   #4
№¹ Bad Boy.

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

What's a good stat to determine the "Clutch" attribute rating?
RISP? RISP with 2 out?
Baseball Reference also has a category broken down into what they call
"Late and Close". Wonder if that's clutch enough.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:08 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Of The Year
What's a good stat to determine the "Clutch" attribute rating?
RISP? RISP with 2 out?
Baseball Reference also has a category broken down into what they call
"Late and Close". Wonder if that's clutch enough.

There are quite a few methods you can use for clutch and it is the one rating where I think the default figures are possibly too high.

The most obvious one is Avg with RISP or OBP with RISP. Fangraphs actually do a +/- clutch rating for each player listed in the yearly batting stats, so working from a mid-point of 50 you could use this to create a rating. Another option might be to use Runs Created.

I suppose like you say, what is a clutch situation and/or does clutch even exist!!??
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2014, 01:24 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

Awesome work!

I have a question on this.

Say I want to do historical data, would it work if I were to replace all the modern players with old ones?

And do I need to go five years back as in your file or can I just go three years back and the calculator will average things out ok?
Old 03-28-2014, 03:34 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent
Awesome work!

I have a question on this.

Say I want to do historical data, would it work if I were to replace all the modern players with old ones?

And do I need to go five years back as in your file or can I just go three years back and the calculator will average things out ok?

Unfortunately due to the way the calculator works, it isn't really possible to just swap modern players with old ones.

I did build a calculator for creating custom years via Fangraphs that you can download.

The only problem is Fangraphs only does Left and Right splits going back to 2002, so if you wanted to go further back you would only be able to produce the same contact/power ratings for either side - you would just put the appropriate batting stats into the left and/or right tab.

You can download it from the link below and there is an instructions tab that walks you through it.

http://www.jamesagrant.webspace.virg...stom_year.xlsx
Old 03-28-2014, 10:51 PM   #8
Pro

MauerMorneau09's Arena

OVR: 13

Hey Jim, this isn't really a 100% accurate way to measure control and pitch break, but I've done some research and this is somewhat of a close method to figuring those ratings out. Normally I'll click on "Pitch Outcomes" on a player's card on Brooks Baseball and add up the "Strike" and "Swing" percentages for control. Obviously when a guy throws less pitches, say under 100, you might get some lopsided numbers when you add em up. Either too high or too low, but it's worth the try. As for break, normally using the "HMov" for fastballs is the way to go. "VMov" for changeups, but those seem like the only accurate break ratings. Once again, not 100%, but worth a shot.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Rosters »