Home

Simple but dramatic visual enhancement

This is a discussion on Simple but dramatic visual enhancement within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-16-2014, 03:06 PM   #1
Pro

sandmac's Arena

OVR: 3
Simple but dramatic visual enhancement

Devs, if you want the visuals to truly be accurate and effective you've got to really shallow out the depth of field on the player close ups.

What this means simply is the closer the camera is to the player, the more out of focus the background is.

As it is now it's REALLY noticeable when the camera shows the pitcher in true close up. The outfield wall and OF should be much, much more out of focus.

I'm sure most viewers aren't sure just why it seems artificial but these changes will really help.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2014, 04:57 PM   #2
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Simple but dramatic visual enhancement

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandmac
Devs, if you want the visuals to truly be accurate and effective you've got to really shallow out the depth of field on the player close ups.

What this means simply is the closer the camera is to the player, the more out of focus the background is.

As it is now it's REALLY noticeable when the camera shows the pitcher in true close up. The outfield wall and OF should be much, much more out of focus.

I'm sure most viewers aren't sure just why it seems artificial but these changes will really help.
They did this for some shots back in the day, but their in-game blur tool isn't the best. They like those really wide shots for screenshots though (the ones that you see).

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the PS4's capture system, because right now there's still a lot of aliasing that I think will be roughed out (I mean that in a good way) when it's on our own televisions and in our own consoles. It just doesn't look clean enough right now, and I'm guessing there are many factors leading to that right now that won't be prevalent upon release.

I know what you're saying, but then again you would be fabricating what really isn't there when you play the game for yourself. I applaud what they have shown us so far, because expectations can go where they may from here instead of being sorely disappointed for whatever reason.

I will say though that Steve hyped me for something else kind of, at least with these screenshots. I'm not saying this game isn't beautiful, I'm just saying I don't see how these shots matched his expressions in a thread he created about the shots. I think I'll be more impressed down the road when we get some quality video on here.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 02-16-2014, 06:55 PM   #3
Pro

sandmac's Arena

OVR: 3

+1. Excellent response. If it's possible, I really think they should try and emulate a natural camera lens as much as all viewers are used to. It may be that this hasn't been prioritized in the past but if implemented, it would likely address other issues they have been battling.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:08 PM   #4
Rookie

spaceg0st's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer

I will say though that Steve hyped me for something else kind of, at least with these screenshots. I'm not saying this game isn't beautiful, I'm just saying I don't see how these shots matched his expressions in a thread he created about the shots. I think I'll be more impressed down the road when we get some quality video on here.
^this. Can't wait to see some gameplay footage
Old 02-16-2014, 09:01 PM   #5
Banned

ZealousMonkey's Arena

OVR: 0

All I have to say if with the power of the PS4 I better not be staring at a jaggy mess on the PS4 or I won't be buying this year. Jaggies are one thing that I simply don't even deal with anymore. Supersampling or bust. Sony has a in-house method that was working well for Killzone: Shadow Fall that incorporates SS and FXAA, and though it isn't total supersampling, it is certainly better than lone FXAA, which just looks terrible on anything it's ever been done to.

I guess some people don't care. Well, good for them. It's 2014. We had better be getting some decent Anti-Aliasing in a sports game. FIFA had 2xMSAA which is acceptable but not what I was expecting for such a simple game. It seems most devs have engines that are not even remotely taking advantage of the full power of the PS4 and more than likely this comes down to not having the time to write a mostly new engine.

Even so, it's no excuse. Image quality is important. It makes the VIDEO part in video games. I didn't pay 500 bucks and what not to be staring at what amounts to a jaggy 1080p PS3 version with an extra texture here and there. If that is the case then sell your game at 30 bucks and I will be more than happy to help you out.

SO far the redone stadiums to me look nearly the same besides a texture here and there. I would like to hear a lot more about how these stadiums were all totally redone because as of now it certainly doesn't look it.

Last edited by ZealousMonkey; 02-16-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2014, 09:40 PM   #6
Rookie

Born Again's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealousMonkey
It seems most devs have engines that are not even remotely taking advantage of the full power of the PS4 and more than likely this comes down to not having the time to write a mostly new engine.

Even so, it's no excuse.
I do not know if it is an excuse but I will accept it the ps4 being new to devs as a valid reason. From what little I have seen the stadiums look a lot better on the ps4 Just look at Fenways wall on ps3 and then ps4.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:21 AM   #7
Banned

ZealousMonkey's Arena

Yeah, so far so good. I think it will turn out pretty decent I'm just saying.... I would be horrified if this franchise was on the Xbone as I think things would be getting cut left and right there with the lesser horsepower. I can surely part with my 60 dollars. I just don't want a game that is released too early ya know.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »