Home

NLSC Post-Patch Interview with NBA Live 14 Gameplay Designer Scott O'Gallagher

This is a discussion on NLSC Post-Patch Interview with NBA Live 14 Gameplay Designer Scott O'Gallagher within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 02-11-2014, 03:42 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
NLSC Post-Patch Interview with NBA Live 14 Gameplay Designer Scott O'Gallagher

I am starting a new thread for this so that it doesn't get lost in the patch impressions thread:

http://www.nba-live.com/nlsc-podcast...tt-ogallagher/

The interview is a little over an hour long.

Here is a text summary:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott O'Gallagher
-- This "could be one of the last patches." "There is other stuff (dribbling, playbooks) we could possibly get to, but that decision is above me."

-- With these updates, "we're trying to do something that's never been done before, instead of just giving you a disc and then showing up next October." "The big thing for us with this patch was just to improve the flow of the game."

-- Tutorials "are something that should have been there from day one, but things happen." "We will definitely do a better job with Shootaround mode in NBA Live 15." "There are still things we need to tutorialize like post defense."

-- "We're not anywhere close to where we want to be with the dribbling system yet." "BounceTek is extremely powerful and revolutionary." "When you're working with new technology, the time to tune isn't always there."

-- "We believe the consumers who bought our game were the hardcore basketball fans."

-- "Morale is very high. We didn't pay too much attention to the early reviews when they came out. Most of them were very unfair. Their assumptions were made up on how the game looked visually." "Everybody's so emotionally driven, there's always that instant response, and it wouldn't be smart for any developer to jump on that and react."

-- "Our artists were just making the player faces on their own for NBA Live 14. There were no scans to work from."

-- "We may be doing another Twitch stream later this week." "Even though we aren't posting a lot, we are reading through Twitter and the Live forums looking for feedback. Keep posting and tweeting."

Last edited by jyoung; 02-11-2014 at 09:54 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2014, 03:59 PM   #2
MVP

noshun's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: NLSC Post-Patch Interview with NBA Live 14 Gameplay Designer Scott O'Gallagher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
Text summary:

"Morale is very high. We didn't pay too much attention to the early reviews when they came out. Most of them were very unfair. Their assumptions were made up on how the game looked visually." "Everybody's so emotionally driven, there's always that instant response, and it wouldn't be smart for any developer to jump on that and react."

-- "Our artists were just making the player faces on their own for NBA Live 14. There were no scans to work from."
Just saw your new thread, posting this here.

So they expected people to shell out $500+ and want inferior visuals? They've been talking face scan of Tyson Chandlers mangly beard since Elite 11, to now not having face scans & artists freelancing by hand, but disregard early reviews because they halfhearted cut corners in the 1st place?

Yeah right~~ that's a slap in the face to everyone who said the visuals/animations were bad, & they apologize & patch visuals later? They must think we gamers are stupid & gullible. Sean O'Brien apologized 3 days after release. it wouldn't be smart for any developer to jump on that and react. 3 days.... .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dounte/MLBNFLNBALGS
I'd be the first to call myself a hypocrite.
Current Rotation: -/-
"Just know no matter who you are, the right system could turn a role player to a superstar." - Joe Budden
All Pro Football 2K8 Uniform Codes

Last edited by noshun; 02-11-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:08 PM   #3
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: NLSC Post-Patch Interview with NBA Live 14 Gameplay Designer Scott O'Gallagher

Sounds like they are buying into their own hype...does the Live team honestly think they are the first team to release a title update?

If you didn't buy into initial reactions, why the apology?
Old 02-11-2014, 05:19 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
With these updates, "we're trying to do something that's never been done before, instead of just giving you a disc and then showing up next October."
Up****** the game, after it's released, with stuff that we shouldn't have to ask for in a b-ball game
Old 02-11-2014, 05:25 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

I'm not excited about their future after hearing this guy do a couple interviews. Look at your games's sales numbers! People are not going to be duped by you guys anymore. Don't blame people because they don't want to support a struggle half hearted effort. This interview disturbs me as a fan of basketball gaming.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2014, 06:15 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

Yeah, congratulations guys, you patched the game, but they are drinking their own kool-aid now. Their Twitter right now is laughable, "hey, lets retweet every single good thing about the patch, while we disregard roster issues and players models that aren't even the correct race!' I mean, I'll admit, I enjoy the game but it really is broken. The fact that they probably aren't even going to fix the TO issue is making me reconsider how I viewed this team. Live 15 is their last shot, they better get stuff right or gtfo.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:29 PM   #7
All Star

King_B_Mack's Arena

OVR: 23

Feeling like this with EA and I'm not even surprised in the least about it.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:45 PM   #8
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
With these updates, "we're trying to do something that's never been done before, instead of just giving you a disc and then showing up next October." "The big thing for us with this patch was just to improve the flow of the game."

"We believe the consumers who bought our game were the hardcore basketball fans."

-- "Morale is very high. We didn't pay too much attention to the early reviews when they came out. Most of them were very unfair. Their assumptions were made up on how the game looked visually." "Everybody's so emotionally driven, there's always that instant response, and it wouldn't be smart for any developer to jump on that and react."

Welcome to Fiburon my friends. NFL fans welcome you.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »