Home

Defensive tips.

This is a discussion on Defensive tips. within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 02-06-2014, 04:10 PM   #1
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
Defensive tips.

This is the first basketball game I've played in quite some time and I don't really know what I'm doing on defense. Can someone give me some general tips defensively (not for the entire team but individually). Do you use L2 (intense defense) every time your man has the ball? Do you use turbo at the same time? Those are the kinds of things I need to know. What's the best way to steal the ball, etc.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2014, 05:12 PM   #2
Banned

bo.jangles344's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Defensive tips.

Any coach will tell you to defend with your feet, not your hands. The way the game is structured you'll get more fouls than steals if you're reaching a lot. Yes, any time your man has the ball you need to hold both triggers. This allows you to move side to side faster than if you just hold l2. Keep in mind there are three fundamental things you need to be aware of playing defense with any player on defense. You never give your man the baseline. Always force him into the lane and the teeth of the defense. Secondly, always watch his hips, not the ball. If he goes right, you move right keeping yourself between him and the basket but never give him the baseline. Lastly, and most importantly. If he does get past you, a good defender always tries to beat him to his spot, rather than trying to get a last second steal or a block from behind. The best thing to do is if you see him cutting to the basket, meet him at the rim. If he shakes you and is going towards the wing to take a shot, beat him to where you think he'll shoot from keeping an eye on the baseline and not giving him that step to the hoop.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:23 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo_jax2000
i play with default rosters and superstar sim sliders. i don't believe this issue has anything to do with bad 2k rosters or sliders. i'm not a defensive "expert" but i've been able to slow the computer when it comes to points in the paint. notice i said "slow" and not "stop". these tips should also work against human players as well.

1. know the player you are defending. if the player isn't known for being a great jump shooter, back off. no need to play too tight. give them the open shot. if they make it, fine. i would rather give up the shot, then have them drive the paint. you can still challenge the shot if you don't back too far off. it's just the opposite for great jump shooters. play tight but also respect their ability to drive. don't take anything for granted.

2. don't be afraid to switch to the next closet defender if the first player gets beat. you have four other players, use them. these are "virtual" nba players so they should be able to get by one on one defense. unless you have a lock down defender.

3. learn to use the shading feature in the game. by shading right or left, you control which direction the ball handler will go. knowing the direction that they should take makes it easier on defense. no more guessing. shade them to where you help defense (or next closet defender) is. you can also use the sideline as an extra defender. also double teams can be effective near the sideline.

4. right stick (hands up) defense + intense defense to challenge shots. i have seen more shots missed by using this combination. i actually don't even go for blocks. just try to make the shot as tough as possible. leaving your feet to block leaves you vulnerable to pump fakes and can also create more driving space for your opponent.

5. intense defense (LT) + right trigger (turbo) = quick shuffle movement. use it to keep up with the ball handler. this works hand in hand with number 2 + 3. keep in mind that by using turbo your players will tire faster. so learn when to use it. use the left thumbstick to move your player while using the quick shuffle movement. try to beat you opponent to the spot forcing them to use other options. using the left trigger + right trigger can also make it easier to box out for defensive rebounds. the left trigger (box out) is already being pressed, you just have to icon switch to the player with the best position. or box out the other teams best rebounder, allowing your other teammates a chance for the rebound. you must keep your opponent boxed out throughout the whole rebounding process. they will try to get around you.

6. take smart shots. don't try to force offense. work the ball while looking for the best possible shot. bad shots and uneven offense can leave you out of position in transition defense. cuts down on fastbreak points and points in the paint opportunities for the opposing teams.

7. learn when to bring the double team. as soon as you call for the double team, make note of who the open player is. your opponent should make the smart pass to the open man. be ready to icon switch to your defender that is closet to that player. playing good "team" defense can be rewarding. it creates turnovers for you leading to fastbreak chances and momentum.

8. use the OTF (on the fly) quick defense options (defend the paint, play tight on shooters, etc.) i'm not talking about the settings in the defensive matchup screens (although they can be used as well). use each option at various points during the game. keeping your opponent off balance. throw in a little zone every now and then. i mainly use the 2-3 (defending the paint) or 3-2 (defending against the 3 point shot) zone after a made free throw. your defenders should be in position by the time the offense comes down court. the reason i don't use the settings in the defense matchup screen is to keep the opponent guessing. those settings never change. if your opponent knows exactly how you are playing them, they have the advantage.

9. know the team you are playing and defend accordingly. you wouldn't defend a 3 point shooting team the same as a team that is strong in the paint. even throughout the game, know who is on the floor. pay attention to substitutions. adjust your defense to the players on the court.

10. personally, i say leave the sliders alone. learn to play the game as it was meant to be played. i'm sure when 2k tested (designed) the game it was to be played using the slider sets they made (default, sim, ******). by adjusting sliders you are changing things without knowing how they affect other dynamics of the game. even a "simple" change could have adverse effects.

i like the fact that the game is challenging. your opponent should attack the paint if you don't adjust. i actually lose more than i win, but as long as i'm playing "sim" basketball, i'm ok with it. at the end of the day, it's just a game. i play to have fun. i'm not looking for perfection.
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...p-defense.html
Old 02-06-2014, 06:19 PM   #4
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

Another question... why on earth can I not dunk with my MyCareer player? I've maxed out literally everything, have purchased the dunk packages and equipped them. But I've yet to dunk one single time. Ever.

Streaming on Twitch
Old 02-06-2014, 06:46 PM   #5
Rookie

Equip Posterizer, Highlight Film, and Finisher. Now play at least 5 MyCareer games where you're doing nothing but dunking. You need to get your tendencies up.

I played for months without being able to dunk, I learned about the tendency issue from someone here on OS.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2014, 10:36 PM   #6
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidelityny
Equip Posterizer, Highlight Film, and Finisher. Now play at least 5 MyCareer games where you're doing nothing but dunking. You need to get your tendencies up.

I played for months without being able to dunk, I learned about the tendency issue from someone here on OS.
Does it matter which direction I push on the right analog stick when attempting a dunk?

Streaming on Twitch
Old 02-07-2014, 12:17 AM   #7
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

I really am at a loss on this one. I just can't figure it out and it's becoming frustrating to the point that I'm not enjoying the game like I should.

My guy is maxed out. Six-foot-eight, has the finisher, highlight reel, posterizer traits enabled. I've got all the signature skill dunks enabled. I just got a fast break and laid in a rebound. I just don't understand it at all. I really wish I could figure this out.

Is anyone else having this issue? Can someone please tell me what else I need to do? It should not be this hard to slam dunk the basketball. Good lord.

Streaming on Twitch
Old 02-07-2014, 01:21 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
I really am at a loss on this one. I just can't figure it out and it's becoming frustrating to the point that I'm not enjoying the game like I should.

My guy is maxed out. Six-foot-eight, has the finisher, highlight reel, posterizer traits enabled. I've got all the signature skill dunks enabled. I just got a fast break and laid in a rebound. I just don't understand it at all. I really wish I could figure this out.

Is anyone else having this issue? Can someone please tell me what else I need to do? It should not be this hard to slam dunk the basketball. Good lord.
Are you holding the turbo when you attempt a dunk?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »