Home

On ball defense help

This is a discussion on On ball defense help within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 01-26-2014, 10:38 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
On ball defense help

Guys, loving the game so far but how can i better contest shots and play better On ball defense? I can sometimes push back with left stick and get a bump, sometimes the defense slides seem to work but usually a right stick flick or hold gets my burnt. Also, any insight on what L2 really does? How often to use it, when to not use it. Also, L1? besides L1+square fouling, does L1 do anything on defense? And should i contest jumpers with triangle or right stick? With or without sprint on? HELP
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-26-2014, 10:46 AM   #2
WTF
MVP

WTF's Arena

OVR: 50
Re: On ball defense help

I'd advise you to only use the L2 button when you feel like you're about to get burned. Normally I just slide my feet using the left analog, and stick with my guy. I hardly ever use turbo on defense unless I'm trying to recover.

Best advise from my many games played, just slightly feather the left stick to stick with your man. If you feel him getting past you, hit the L2 button and left stick towards him to slightly bump him off of his path.

Contesting jumpers, triangle blocks, but more often than not, if I'm in the defensive vicinity, as long as I'm close to the shooter, and let off of my left stick, it'll automatically throw a hand up for the contest. It works pretty well. I normally hold teams to 40-45% FG.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:33 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF
I'd advise you to only use the L2 button when you feel like you're about to get burned. Normally I just slide my feet using the left analog, and stick with my guy. I hardly ever use turbo on defense unless I'm trying to recover.

Best advise from my many games played, just slightly feather the left stick to stick with your man. If you feel him getting past you, hit the L2 button and left stick towards him to slightly bump him off of his path.

Contesting jumpers, triangle blocks, but more often than not, if I'm in the defensive vicinity, as long as I'm close to the shooter, and let off of my left stick, it'll automatically throw a hand up for the contest. It works pretty well. I normally hold teams to 40-45% FG.
Thanks man. I knew i was over using l2, trying to contest like 2k. So let me get this str8, u r saying proximity and position alone will earn a contest if you let go of Lstick? No Rstick hands up?
Old 01-26-2014, 12:36 PM   #4
WTF
MVP

WTF's Arena

OVR: 50

Yeah, heavily relying on the L2 will get your burnt more often than not. I had to learn that early on.

That's what's been working for me on defense. As long as you're in the space, it'll throw his hand up in his face more often than not. I'll have to play again just to ensure that's what I'm doing. From memory it is Normally I'm engulfed in the game, and I am so familiar with the controls, it's hard to say what I'm doing. I'll pay attention when I fire it up after while.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:47 PM   #5
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

WTF pretty much summed it up....

I don't even use LT unless I am in the paint or I know 100% that the CPU is about to pull for a shot...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-26-2014, 12:55 PM   #6
MVP

NYJin2011tm's Arena

Whenever I get beat off the dribble I hold the double team button down and someone will rotate over to pick him up. I'll rotate and cover their man. It seems to work sometimes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »