Home

Middle Finger?!

This is a discussion on Middle Finger?! within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 01-19-2014, 10:15 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Icon5 Middle Finger?!

Im hoping to get a feel for how many people use their index fingers(only)vs their index and middle fingers to press L1/L2 & R1/R2. Especially for passing in NHL 14. I personally use my index fingers for L1/R1 and my middle fingers for L2/R2.

Ive seen people do it both ways, but (to me)people who use the index finger for both are jumping around on the controller or sliding between buttons. This seems overly difficult/unnecessary since both my index and middle fingers fit naturally on both buttons.

Still if anyone understands what I mean, Id like some feed back for those who have tried it both ways and some pros and cons of each 'fingering preference' .
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-19-2014, 10:52 PM   #2
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
Re: Middle Finger?!

To be honest I have no idea which one I used. I've played games all my life and I can't tell you off the top of my head as crazy as that sounds. I'd have to hold a controller. I'm pretty sure I just use my index fingers.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 01-20-2014, 12:51 AM   #3
Rookie

Index fingies only, son!
Old 01-21-2014, 11:16 AM   #4
Rookie

Garism's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
To be honest I have no idea which one I used. I've played games all my life and I can't tell you off the top of my head as crazy as that sounds. I'd have to hold a controller. I'm pretty sure I just use my index fingers.
That's pretty much it. It's all muscle memory!
Old 01-21-2014, 09:13 PM   #5
Pro

Robo COP's Arena

OVR: 3

Index only. I play on PS3 and I feel the controller was actually designed that way. If I put my middle fingers up I don't feel like it's a secure grip on the controller, almost like I could knock the controller out of my own hands pressing the L or R buttons. I hold xbox controllers the same way though, although with it being a bigger controller I could definitely see putting both fingers up.

I think you'd probably find that most older gamers would only use the index while the younger crowd may use two. Because if you look at the first xbox it only had the triggers up top so using just index fingers became familiar
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-22-2014, 07:51 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo COP
Index only. I play on PS3 and I feel the controller was actually designed that way. If I put my middle fingers up I don't feel like it's a secure grip on the controller, almost like I could knock the controller out of my own hands pressing the L or R buttons. I hold xbox controllers the same way though, although with it being a bigger controller I could definitely see putting both fingers up.

I think you'd probably find that most older gamers would only use the index while the younger crowd may use two. Because if you look at the first xbox it only had the triggers up top so using just index fingers became familiar
Well, the PS3 controller would have the slip off factor on the back buttons - but I have snap on triggers to avoid that. The PS4 controller addressed/fixed that issue too. The xbox controller does seem to be built a bit more for shooters and games such as NHL. I actually prefer it for NHL because the triggers just seem more responsive. Don't know why.

Ive always used index AND middle fingers for the controls and I'd consider myself an older gamer(mid 30's) and Ive owned almost every major system since atari 2600. Some of those controllers obviously don't warrant being in this conversation.

Anyway, I don't know if the age thing comes into play(at least I hope not). I think some of the earlier Tekken games burned that into me, since I used a grapple button config. that used all top buttons and needed lightning responses to execute. Ive stuck with it ever since.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:03 AM   #7
Pro

Robo COP's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey3k
Well, the PS3 controller would have the slip off factor on the back buttons - but I have snap on triggers to avoid that. The PS4 controller addressed/fixed that issue too. The xbox controller does seem to be built a bit more for shooters and games such as NHL. I actually prefer it for NHL because the triggers just seem more responsive. Don't know why.

Ive always used index AND middle fingers for the controls and I'd consider myself an older gamer(mid 30's) and Ive owned almost every major system since atari 2600. Some of those controllers obviously don't warrant being in this conversation.

Anyway, I don't know if the age thing comes into play(at least I hope not). I think some of the earlier Tekken games burned that into me, since I used a grapple button config. that used all top buttons and needed lightning responses to execute. Ive stuck with it ever since.
Well yea it's definitely dependent on the games you played as well.aybe I got that some from when I first started playing Cod as well. Since the triggers were how you shoot it was more natural to me to use my index finger since that's your actual trigger finger rather than my middle finger
Old 01-26-2014, 10:42 PM   #8
Rookie

synjin's Arena

OVR: 1

I use both fingers (middle and index) for NHL. I kinda have to since I turn off auto-backskate. So I am holding the backskate (L2) down button all the time while passing/switching during transition and on defense. Now and then I use it on offense to pull off quick changes of direction or dekes and especially to properly orient my player since the AI logic always seems to have him facing the opposite way he should be.

Most other games I only use the index for both L1/L2 and R1/R2

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »