Home

My Problems With NBA Live 14

This is a discussion on My Problems With NBA Live 14 within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 01-05-2014, 11:51 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0

This game doesn't have too many problems. I just wanna post a few.

1. The CPU is damn near impossible to stop when they get im the post or the paint. It doesn't matter who the player or defender is theyll still get down there & dunk it.

2. When i get in the post & do a fadeaway it always gets blocked. It takes away an important part of a basketball game. You need to be able to post up.

3. When i pump fake near the paint the ball always gets stolen. While i can see this happened, its just irritating at the rate of which it happens.

4. The releases. They kinda throw you into the fire by not having a practice mode. I'd like to be able to go into practice mode & get those jumpshots down to make me better.

5. The online lag. Its really hard to play a game online especially a basketball game when theres a lag. They say they are fixing it & i hope they do sooner rather than later.

Like i said theres not much wrong with this game. I dont have a problem with how the players look or anything i just want a good basketball game. It has so much potential & i hope they can fix these things. If I've missed anything comment below !
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-05-2014, 12:06 PM   #2
WTF
MVP

WTF's Arena

OVR: 50
Re: My Problems With NBA Live 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sephjo619
This game doesn't have too many problems. I just wanna post a few.

1. The CPU is damn near impossible to stop when they get im the post or the paint. It doesn't matter who the player or defender is theyll still get down there & dunk it.

2. When i get in the post & do a fadeaway it always gets blocked. It takes away an important part of a basketball game. You need to be able to post up.

3. When i pump fake near the paint the ball always gets stolen. While i can see this happened, its just irritating at the rate of which it happens.

4. The releases. They kinda throw you into the fire by not having a practice mode. I'd like to be able to go into practice mode & get those jumpshots down to make me better.

5. The online lag. Its really hard to play a game online especially a basketball game when theres a lag. They say they are fixing it & i hope they do sooner rather than later.

Like i said theres not much wrong with this game. I dont have a problem with how the players look or anything i just want a good basketball game. It has so much potential & i hope they can fix these things. If I've missed anything comment below !
1. Once they get it down there, it's tough, but not impossible to stop. Guys like Dwight Howard are nearly impossible, but you can hold them to respectable %'s overall. The offensive board and putback is tough to defend no doubt down here though. I agree though, there needs to be more counters to what's going on.

2. I have never had a fadeaway blocked. I'm not sure where you're seeing this, and at apparently such a high rate. That's interesting for sure. Just regular jumpers have the potential to be blocked if you don't create space though.

3. Pump fakes, you really can't pump fake right in front of a player. Throw a quick jab step from the triple threat to get them off balance, then throw a quick pump fake if you want. Of course if you're taking the ball straight to their chest when they're up on you, it's normally going to get stripped or knocked away.

4. Agree wholeheartedly. I don't have an issue with the releases per se, but it did take me a while to get comfortable with them. I want a practice mode just to get in there and play around, and see what all I can do. Needs a practice mode bad, for whatever reason you have, we all have our own reasons for wanting/needing a practice mode.

5. That's what I hear. Luckily I don't play online period, so I don't have any worries there, but for those of you who enjoy it, I agree it definitely needs to be fixed.

I agree about the player models, some of the faces etc could be done much better, as could the lighting. Add some other additional animations and I think we've got a winner. Loving it. Try those above on the pump fakes, etc. Keep at it with defense, change your matchups and defensive schemes, play off ball if you have to.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:24 PM   #3
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

1 & 3 I agree with the most....

pump faking is mostly annoying because you can't do it but the CPU can...repeatedly...and still go through you for a score..

As far as the paint, it seems like it's getting worse...I had my first "ok, I have to turn this off" game last night. The Pacers did nothing, and I mean nothing but spam the paint...I've learned to stop the baseline spin but George, West, Hibbert just moved me of the way and scored when they wanted to....

Feels like there's been a step back in tendencies...I feel like I have to worry about every teams PF & C rather than their superstar...
Old 01-05-2014, 12:31 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF
1. Once they get it down there, it's tough, but not impossible to stop. Guys like Dwight Howard are nearly impossible, but you can hold them to respectable %'s overall. The offensive board and putback is tough to defend no doubt down here though. I agree though, there needs to be more counters to what's going on.

2. I have never had a fadeaway blocked. I'm not sure where you're seeing this, and at apparently such a high rate. That's interesting for sure. Just regular jumpers have the potential to be blocked if you don't create space though.

3. Pump fakes, you really can't pump fake right in front of a player. Throw a quick jab step from the triple threat to get them off balance, then throw a quick pump fake if you want. Of course if you're taking the ball straight to their chest when they're up on you, it's normally going to get stripped or knocked away.

4. Agree wholeheartedly. I don't have an issue with the releases per se, but it did take me a while to get comfortable with them. I want a practice mode just to get in there and play around, and see what all I can do. Needs a practice mode bad, for whatever reason you have, we all have our own reasons for wanting/needing a practice mode.

5. That's what I hear. Luckily I don't play online period, so I don't have any worries there, but for those of you who enjoy it, I agree it definitely needs to be fixed.

I agree about the player models, some of the faces etc could be done much better, as could the lighting. Add some other additional animations and I think we've got a winner. Loving it. Try those above on the pump fakes, etc. Keep at it with defense, change your matchups and defensive schemes, play off ball if you have to.
Will do thanks man
Old 01-05-2014, 12:35 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
1 & 3 I agree with the most....

pump faking is mostly annoying because you can't do it but the CPU can...repeatedly...and still go through you for a score..

As far as the paint, it seems like it's getting worse...I had my first "ok, I have to turn this off" game last night. The Pacers did nothing, and I mean nothing but spam the paint...I've learned to stop the baseline spin but George, West, Hibbert just moved me of the way and scored when they wanted to....

Feels like there's been a step back in tendencies...I feel like I have to worry about every teams PF & C rather than their superstar...
Exactly. Everyone's center has a post game when thats not realistic. Some centers like Kendrick Perkins & asik are there for defense & rebounds
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-05-2014, 12:47 PM   #6
Pro

shegotgame's Arena

OVR: 5

@WTF, you've never ever ever ever had a fadeaway blocked? I find this really hard to believe.

Here are my issues:

1. Unbalanced post play. The computer can score with relative ease (and often with the wrong players), why can't I score consistently? Where are the post moves? We're limited to hooks and fadeaways.

2. The pump fake. Why does it exist? Works for the CPU. Seldom works for me, but when it does the computer recovers too quickly.

3. Steal button. How the heck do you jump the passing lane? Playing off ball when you press the steal button, nothing happens.

4. Everyone dunks with entirely too much authority. Guards and Forwards dunk with the same Shaq-level force. Can you even block or alter dunks? Every time a guy raises up on me, I just go, well there's 2 points. Many players turn the corner for dunks too quickly. I'll have a guy well defended then suddenly, he's in the air.

5. Points in paint. CPU (And sometimes user) can score down there providing they don't get blocked. It's pretty much up to the user to miss the shot. Whatever happened to a closely defended attempt resulting in a miss?

6. Contact animations. Even on shooting fouls, I don't actually SEE the contact unless the guy was run over. What's up with the collision engine? We need more contact at the rim and more contact in the paint in general. Perhaps this would help reduce the easy paint points.

7. Camera. We need better ones. If we could zoom in just a bit. Some of the player models aren't that bad; we're just too far away. The odd thing is, the faces all kind of look the same, but on close up they resemble who they should (see: Igoudala).

8. Too many blocks. This applies to CPU and User. I really think this game has a problem allowing players space for jumpers. We don't need daylight. But defenders aren't always inside your jersey when you attempt a midrange shot.

9. That hopstep. It's atrocious. I think Lilliard did some motion-capping. I refuse to believe that's how he was hopping around the court. My hopstep looks better than that (really, it does). Also, it's too effective. I hate to use it against the CPU, but they have no problem skipping down my yellow brick road all into the paint.

10. Lack of practice mode. This hurts the game so much. I've given up and put shooting on ratings+skill (I'm considering ratings only). I've seen the "Learn to Play" video. It left much to be desired. Someone here said to release the button when the players wrist goes back; the video implies you should do it at the peak of his jump. Practice mode would help me accept one of these as truth.

11. For all this talk about BounceTek, the dribbling engine needs work. The control scheme is fine. The moves just aren't that effective. OR the CPU AI isn't duped by them well enough.

12. Why are the passes so slow? Like they have to gather the ball before they can execute the pass, what? Passing should be crisp.

What this game really needs is more animations. A lot of the times I feel cheated by the offense, it's because the animation is so forced, as if the computer is going to score no matter how ugly it looks. Ex. A double teamed West spins baseline, and takes 2 steps into a floater that almost grazes the side of the backboard (he is basically out of bounds, but this is the animation). All net.

Also, I apologize for choppy sentences and similar grammatical infractions. I was rushing to include all my thoughts before firing up another game.

Came to save the game like a memory card. - MF DOOM

Last edited by shegotgame; 01-05-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:12 PM   #7
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by shegotgame
@WTF, you've never ever ever ever had a fadeaway blocked? I find this really hard to believe.

Here are my issues:

1. Unbalanced post play. The computer can score with relative ease (and often with the wrong players), why can't I score consistently? Where are the post moves? We're limited to hooks and fadeaways.

2. The pump fake. Why does it exist? Works for the CPU. Seldom works for me, but when it does the computer recovers too quickly.

3. Steal button. How the heck do you jump the passing lane? Playing off ball when you press the steal button, nothing happens.

4. Everyone dunks with entirely too much authority. Guards and Forwards dunk with the same Shaq-level force. Can you even block or alter dunks? Every time a guy raises up on me, I just go, well there's 2 points. Many players turn the corner for dunks too quickly. I'll have a guy well defended then suddenly, he's in the air.

5. Points in paint. CPU (And sometimes user) can score down there providing they don't get blocked. It's pretty much up to the user to miss the shot. Whatever happened to a closely defended attempt resulting in a miss?

6. Contact animations. Even on shooting fouls, I don't actually SEE the contact unless the guy was run over. What's up with the collision engine? We need more contact at the rim and more contact in the paint in general. Perhaps this would help reduce the easy paint points.

7. Camera. We need better ones. If we could zoom in just a bit. Some of the player models aren't that bad; we're just too far away. The odd thing is, the faces all kind of look the same, but on close up they resemble who they should (see: Igoudala).

8. Too many blocks. This applies to CPU and User. I really think this game has a problem allowing players space for jumpers. We don't need daylight. But defenders aren't always inside your jersey when you attempt a midrange shot.

9. That hopstep. It's atrocious. I think Lilliard did some motion-capping. I refuse to believe that's how he was hopping around the court. My hopstep looks better than that (really, it does). Also, it's too effective. I hate to use it against the CPU, but they have no problem skipping down my yellow brick road all into the paint.

10. Lack of practice mode. This hurts the game so much. I've given up and put shooting on ratings+skill (I'm considering ratings only). I've seen the "Learn to Play" video. It left much to be desired. Someone here said to release the button when the players wrist goes back; the video implies you should do it at the peak of his jump. Practice mode would help me accept one of these as truth.

11. For all this talk about BounceTek, the dribbling engine needs work. The control scheme is fine. The moves just aren't that effective. OR the CPU AI isn't duped by them well enough.

12. Why are the passes so slow? Like they have to gather the ball before they can execute the pass, what? Passing should be crisp.

What this game really needs is more animations. A lot of the times I feel cheated by the offense, it's because the animation is so forced, as if the computer is going to score no matter how ugly it looks. Ex. A double teamed West spins baseline, and takes 2 steps into a floater that almost grazes the side of the backboard (he is basically out of bounds, but this is the animation). All net.

Also, I apologize for choppy sentences and similar grammatical infractions. I was rushing to include all my thoughts before firing up another game.
quick question: have you downloaded the three updates? i havent had any issues as far as getting blocked on jumpers unless i try to force the shot. i heard it was a bigger issue pre-patch thats why i ask.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:20 PM   #8
Pro

shegotgame's Arena

OVR: 5

^I have 1.01, 1.02, and 1.03. That's what I see in my update history.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Came to save the game like a memory card. - MF DOOM

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »