Home

The Future of the RTTS Mode

This is a discussion on The Future of the RTTS Mode within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 01-04-2014, 11:05 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
The Future of the RTTS Mode

Preface: I debated on throwing this in one of the wishlist threads, but having put a great deal of effort into, I hope you all take the time to review and contribute to the discussion. I look forward to your reading your responses!

tl;dr - RTTS Complacency?

I realize I am a bit late to the party here, as we are coming to the end of the development cycle for The Show ‘14. I’ve been an avid reader of this forum for a few years now, and am really drawn to the insight the members here continue to interject each cycle. I have noticed a steady decline in regards to the conversation of RTTS, particularly in the level of depth the player is allowed to experience. This piece I have written, to hopefully inspire some conversation, is half wishful thinking and half commentary on the future direction of the RTTS mode.

Before we delve into the gameplay, I would first like to explain my perspective so that you may better understand where I am coming from. I have been an avid supporter of MLB The Show for several years now, and the driving force for me has always been the RTTS. I understand why so many players invest their time into Diamond Dynasty and Franchise modes, but it has never been something that has garnered my interest. When I play RTTS, I play every game, every spring training, every year until the next installment comes out. I play a wide variety of other games, but inevitably, I always come back to The Show and continue my progress. Years ago it was more than enough to just be able to create myself and experience a boyhood dream through, perhaps, the most accurate sports simulation available. Yet, for a series that has continued to push the boundaries of realism with everything from ball physics to stadium sounds I cannot help but want so much more moving into the next generation of consoles.

Each year fans of the series compile their lists of wishes to include uniforms, stadiums, sounds, and everything in between. With each passing year the conversations become even more specific to request not just uniforms and stadiums, but things like, “the one time the White Sox wore shorts”, or “the woman who sits in the front row behind home plate at Miller Park”. While I do not mean to denigrate anyone else’s opinion, my point is that we appear to have become complacent with our expectations of the game modes. As if, what we have is good enough, perpetually. The mode has progressed over the years, don’t get me wrong. The process of becoming a Major Leaguer and a Hall of Famer has been elongated and become more difficult, which is certainly appreciated. However, there is a much broader understanding of the game mode that has not been challenged within the entire life span of the mode, and more bothersome, is a lack of inclusion of inspiration from other sports game series.

Once upon a time I would push for my player to sign with the highest bidder, taking as much money at the negotiation table as possible. As I have gotten older, I now sign for as little money as possible to a team of my choosing, in hopes that the organization will seek out other big free agents to join me. Now, I do not intend to make money the focal point of this discussion but rather a spear head to open up a vast quantity of potential. Whenever I speak to fellow fans of the RTTS mode, the conversation most often ends up with the NBA 2K series and its continual strides to blurring the lines between sports sim and RPG. The ability to create a player that can earn endorsements, marketing efforts, a shoe line, magazine covers, and more has not only been successful but has created an avid following in itself. The mode has grown to the point where you control your player’s interactions with the media and teammates ultimately affecting your game time performance.

One of my favorite sports game memories comes from the late NCAA Football franchise, starting off as a high school stand out battling through their senior season on the way to winning a state championship. Not only does this add more depth to the game mode, but serves as a way to organically create the attributes of your player. As you play each game, your performance not only effects your player’s abilities but also prospective universities’ interest in recruiting you.

While I understand that the idea of RPG elements can sometimes create controversy, I would argue that the RTTS mode at it’s core is an RPG albeit of very limited features. You control your player’s future by navigating through free agency, earning skill points to add to your player’s overall ranking. I am not asking for The Elder Scrolls here, but simply adding a greater level of depth to an established game mode. For a video game series known for its sophisticated realism and meticulous attention to detail, why has this game mode been stagnant for so long? I would argue that before the Diamond Dynasty and Franchise modes have become as great as they have today it was the RTTS mode that truly put the Show on map, and distinguished the series as the premier baseball franchise. So how about some love?

Here is how I would like to see it....

Finally, we have the ability to carry over our RTTS player’s from one title to the next starting with the transition from ‘14 to ‘15. With that, the progression from the start to the end of a career should only be expanded upon. You design and create your RTTS player and begin the journey as a high school senior seeking to obtain a state championship and a professional draft slot. You play through your high school season which could be customized to be anywhere between 5-30 games, all of which help sculpt the abilities of your character. Towards the end of your senior season your player will be entered into MLB draft, and from there you will be sent to anywhere between Class A ball to MLB depending on your efforts as a high school senior and your organization’s needs.
However the process pans out for you and your player you may be immediately starting games for your MLB franchise as the next Bryce Harper or you may toil within the minor leagues for years waiting for your big break. However your story plays out, once you make the MLB, everything changes. If you ever get a chance to talk to a real life Major Leaguer ask about the first few months of their professional careers. Now a days, all players are signed to deals for everything from batting gloves, bats, trading cards, etc. Depending on your level of stardom, the contract may be for a few thousand dollars or millions. While real world brands have only just begun to make their way into the game I never understood why they never create parody brands for equipment as they do to replace many of the more prominent advertisements in the MLB stadiums. We already have the ability to customize just about every piece of leather and cloth on our players why not further that into brands and the contracts that come with them? At the conclusion of each game players will have the ability to address the media and choose from a small selection of predetermined responses much like that of the 2k series, ultimately determining the effect their words have on their teammates, fans, and reputation.

As a long time player I have filled much of the blank spots with my own imaginary narratives, such as angst against Billy Butler who seems to pimp his home runs a bit more than anyone else, or the White Sox organization for letting me walk in favor of an upstart coming out of the minors. These types of instances create a much greater level of immersion than whats physically there for you, and I wish there were more instances where you go into a rival town as a super star and hear a bit more jeers from the crowd, antagonistic questions from the media, and a few more pitches on the inner half than usual.
Above all else, money has to mean something. What is the point of signing a two hundred million dollar contract when all you are doing is preventing your organization from filling other needs? Perhaps money would contribute to an overall level of prestige that determines what endorsements, equipment, and treatment you receive. An opportunity to participate in the World Baseball Classic should be included, optional, but included. Simply as a further expansion on the journey of a Major Leaguer.
I love this game, really I do. I eagerly await to see what the next installment will bring to us in terms of innovation and added design. However, I am concerned that when a franchise becomes so successful, and stable, the degree of risk taking greatly diminishes. Simply accepting a yearly upgrade in rosters, player and stadium designs, and minor menu tweaks and additions is not enough. I do not mean to stand accusatory of the development team but rather worry that their value in the RTTS fan base is no longer worthwhile. For some people, Franchise mode has replaced RTTS as you can participate in almost every feature of RTTS with a created player, in addition to everything else in Franchise. However, I feel there is a great deal of potential and value in investing in the single player experience.

Last edited by Phatgordo13; 01-04-2014 at 11:07 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-05-2014, 01:39 AM   #2
Banned

Re: The Future of the RTTS Mode

This is exactly how I, and I believe most people here feel. Greatest game ever, MLB THE SHOW'S RTTS is the REASON I own a PS3, and Bought a PS4 on Nov 15!
But it is TIME to take it to the next level!

Money should mean something! It doesn't have to be spent, just use it for prestige! That way it will keep people from cheating! (Yes, signing the league minimum as a 99 overall to bring in better players is cheating, because you wouldn't do that in real life, so don't do it in the game!)

As I said before greatest game ever, but "My Career" for NBA 2k14 for next gen has given MLB's RTTS some pretty big shoes to fill!!!!!!!

The longer and longer it takes for us to start hearing some news about The Show 14, makes me concerned, but I am still blissfully optimistic about the potential for this game!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-05-2014, 03:04 AM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedFastball

This is exactly how I, and I believe most people here feel. Greatest game ever, MLB THE SHOW'S RTTS is the REASON I own a PS3, and Bought a PS4 on Nov 15!
But it is TIME to take it to the next level!

Money should mean something! It doesn't have to be spent, just use it for prestige! That way it will keep people from cheating! (Yes, signing the league minimum as a 99 overall to bring in better players is cheating, because you wouldn't do that in real life, so don't do it in the game!)

As I said before greatest game ever, but "My Career" for NBA 2k14 for next gen has given MLB's RTTS some pretty big shoes to fill!!!!!!!

The longer and longer it takes for us to start hearing some news about The Show 14, makes me concerned, but I am still blissfully optimistic about the potential for this game!!!!!!!!!
I'm not entirely sure 'most' people do feel this way. I hope you are right, but why have we become so quiet? I have seen year after year the conversations in this very forum translate into the development team's designs! We know they are reading, so lets talk about something worth while hey?

I agree with your comments in regards to money, it is cheating, but taking the league minimum is really the only thing you can do that has any effect in your player's career. You can sign to the biggest deal in MLB history and it does nothing but make the team you play for....worse. I'm amazed that it has gone on so long, because the money issue is always at the top of the list. It simply does not make sense. There is a whole other discussion to be had in regards to what could be done with the value of money, but above all else I think we can all agree something needs to be done.

I have been following NBA2K14 for quite some time, but I made the mistake of purchasing it for PS3 assuming the new My Career features were in there as well. However, I have done extensive reading and have watched a lot of the youtube videos out there, and it has become exactly what I hope to see more of in the future of sports games. My understanding was that the combination of hard drive space and processing power of the PS3 prevents these new features from being included. So lets assume the stagnation of RTTS can be attributed to the much broader attention to things like graphics, physics, etc. I certainly wouldn't be willing to trade the advancements in the gameplay for new features in RTTS, the game in between the lines comes first no doubt. However, with a much more powerful console, I see no excuse as to why we cannot see major advancements in the RTTS mode.

Here's to optimism.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:03 AM   #4
Rookie

SoullessGingerKC's Arena

OVR: 2

Nail in the coffin, As Eminem would say. This is very much needed, and like you said franchise and season right now is more playable then RTTS.

The trials Of Rtts. Should be like this.
1. High school Senior year-
1. Make your player, pick your position, Body and and build and height have a determination on what your speed and power can be. Then you can throw in stats for defense and whatever else.
2. Have batting practice and things like before and a gym to lift weights, or run to build up speed.
3. Play the 30 or so games and see if you go to playoffs.
4. During season let us have relationship with coach, have scouts at games, be able to communicate with teammates. and even participate in social events. I do not need to see it but lets say my guy is a partier have the ability to go to a party and I get busted. This is where personality plays in and I want my guy to be noticed as a guy like maybe carlos guillen who parties, or a club house guy like Jim Thome, or maybe I am a bonds or ichiro and do not talk to anyone.

2. The draft,
1. Interview with teams like in NBA 2K. I want at least three teams to get an idea, and I want them to know if I am a good fit or now.

3. Minor leagues
1. you get some increases in stats to start. You start in double A or single A.
2. I do not want much interviews in minors but to be able to interact with teammates maybe make cover for upcoming minor league star and try to lead them to victory.

Major Leagues.
1. you get called up and you can taunt, do things like Puig. Or be a classy guy. Maybe your not liked because you celebrate or taunt and pitchers like to hit you.
2. After a few years you get a big contract. It should mean to be able to represent brands based on your money and performance.
3. Have gm talk to me. Maybe I am in a position like griffey and I am older and I give some money back to win. Or maybe I am just like A-rod and just want a lot of money where I can use those points like in NHL to buy better equipment which boosts your stats a bit.
4. I want to be able to call team meetings, talk with the press after a big game like in NBA or talk to teammates.

Free agency:
1. Like the draft teams should interview and take me out to see if its a fit.
2. I tell my agent what I want and I want my agent to have a personality like either Boras, or a family guy, or whatever.

Some ideas that should be in. Lets build it and make it better
Old 01-06-2014, 08:17 AM   #5
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessGingerKC
Nail in the coffin, As Eminem would say. This is very much needed, and like you said franchise and season right now is more playable then RTTS.

The trials Of Rtts. Should be like this.
1. High school Senior year-
1. Make your player, pick your position, Body and and build and height have a determination on what your speed and power can be. Then you can throw in stats for defense and whatever else.
2. Have batting practice and things like before and a gym to lift weights, or run to build up speed.
3. Play the 30 or so games and see if you go to playoffs.
4. During season let us have relationship with coach, have scouts at games, be able to communicate with teammates. and even participate in social events. I do not need to see it but lets say my guy is a partier have the ability to go to a party and I get busted. This is where personality plays in and I want my guy to be noticed as a guy like maybe carlos guillen who parties, or a club house guy like Jim Thome, or maybe I am a bonds or ichiro and do not talk to anyone.

2. The draft,
1. Interview with teams like in NBA 2K. I want at least three teams to get an idea, and I want them to know if I am a good fit or now.

3. Minor leagues
1. you get some increases in stats to start. You start in double A or single A.
2. I do not want much interviews in minors but to be able to interact with teammates maybe make cover for upcoming minor league star and try to lead them to victory.

Major Leagues.
1. you get called up and you can taunt, do things like Puig. Or be a classy guy. Maybe your not liked because you celebrate or taunt and pitchers like to hit you.
2. After a few years you get a big contract. It should mean to be able to represent brands based on your money and performance.
3. Have gm talk to me. Maybe I am in a position like griffey and I am older and I give some money back to win. Or maybe I am just like A-rod and just want a lot of money where I can use those points like in NHL to buy better equipment which boosts your stats a bit.
4. I want to be able to call team meetings, talk with the press after a big game like in NBA or talk to teammates.

Free agency:
1. Like the draft teams should interview and take me out to see if its a fit.
2. I tell my agent what I want and I want my agent to have a personality like either Boras, or a family guy, or whatever.

Some ideas that should be in. Lets build it and make it better
You trying to make me neglect my business and go broke?

This would be a ridiculous experience that would be nearly impossible to put down.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-06-2014, 11:57 AM   #6
Rookie

hysteria499's Arena

OVR: 3

I agree with just about everything being said here. I really think the minor league system needs to be over hauled. Most of these kids when they get drafted go straight to low A ball to finish the year. Remember the MLB draft is during the year and so it should be portrait the same way. I like the high school Idea as well. They need to add the Fall leagues and such. I would add low A and high A followed by AA/AAA. Unless you prove during high school you are a stud. Most players spend at least 3 years in the minors. I agree with the brands and I think they said they are adding some more to the draft. I would love to see a Draft and draft process like 2K. The interviews and stuff would be amazing as well.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:28 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

Great post - Great ideas! My experience is very similar to yours... Play RTTS but rarely check out the other modes any more. I've felt that sports games have needed a really solid RPG element for some time now. The NBA2K series has been making strides, and one would think other devs would take notice. I would buy most any sports game that does it right, although baseball would be the first choice.

I'm sure some of the roadblocks stem from prudes at MLB not wanting to allow off-the-field stuff into a licensed game. Hopefully someone at the league will see this as a chance to grow the game. As for equipment; There's already been years of dead horses beaten on these forums over equipment. It's ok SCEA hasn't prioritized it because game quality has been phenomenal, but I agree that some fake brands could be created as an option.

Thanks again for the read!
Old 01-06-2014, 04:01 PM   #8

NewNapkin's Arena

OVR: 9

Man, I would LOVE a great RTTS mode. I just don't think they can afford to put that much time in it, as most players just play the mode while waiting on OSFM, then just franchise it up for the rest of the cycle. I don't see it getting enough love to give SCEA a reason to overhaul it that much.

What I think would be great way to do the series, yet not overshadowing everything else, would be this:

- You create a player, nearly the same way as usual. BUT, you balance out skill/potential, and your skills are decided by size and what you want your player to eventually develop in to

- He can start in either high school OR college playoffs, with random scouts showing up in every game. Your performances in games will make those teams with scouts more or less likely to draft you (and it changes your draft stock overall).

- After the playoffs, you get to work out with 3-5 teams that are the most interested in you. If you are a pitcher, you'll throw 10 pitches showing off velocity, control, and movement (and possibly an inning of live ball). If you are a hitter, you'll take BP (and possibly a mock at-bat or two)

- You go through the draft. I don't need much to see except it showing a draft board or something showing where everyone is getting drafted. You get drafted based of your performances in the playoffs and workouts, as well as your skill/potential.

- You get assigned to a rookie league/short season whatever team. These could easily just be called "Rookie Cubs" or "Rookie Yankees" and they wear the spring training uniforms and play at spring training stadiums. You play there until the offseason, then if you are good enough, you can already receive a spring training invite. Either way, you get assigned to AA or AAA based on how good you are and where there are needs.

Everything else is fairly normal, except:

- You do not progress at your own rate. You will be tied in with the regular progression/regression system.

- Money actually means something. You can buy workout equipment that can influence your progression towards a certain attribute, buy a house (lets not go overboard), which can help you with recovering from injuries, fatigue, and holding more workout equipment. You can also do things like buy team dinners, donate to charity, etc., which leads me to my next point.

- Bring in the ever-so-popular likeability levels. Fans, Teammates, Coaches. These should be fairly self-explanatory.

If they were ever to overhaul RTTS, this would be absolutely perfect for me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »