Home

Passing Over A Defender's Head?

This is a discussion on Passing Over A Defender's Head? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 01-02-2014, 09:25 PM   #1
MVP

CuseGirl's Arena

OVR: 7
Passing Over A Defender's Head?

Something i don't understand with the passing game: when I use the arrows to manipulate my passes, those arrows are perpindicular to the playing field, not parallel, correct? So when I press up on the joystick and pass to a receiver, that merely elevates the height of the pass, not the distance downfield (in relation to the QB).

Which brings me to the title: how do I get passes, particularly the intermediate passes in the middle of the field and some red zone passes, OVER a defender's head? Sometimes, a defender is beat but because the passing lane from the Qb to the WR isn't clear from point to point, i can't get the ball there.

Now I understand if lower rated QBs can't do this but if I'm using a higher rated guy, what do I need to do? Thanks in advance.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-02-2014, 10:03 PM   #2
MVP

mjavon's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Passing Over A Defender's Head?

No. Leading with the left stick (aka precision passing) is parallel to the playing field. Thus, pushing forward will lead the receiver upfield. Tap the button for a lob pass will provide a higher trajectory which will throw over a defender. The longer you hold the button down, the flatter the pass's trajectory will be. If you're really good, you can go somewhere in the middle, over one defender and underneath a safety playing over the receiver.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:03 PM   #3
Rookie

I have little luck with deep passes myself. I'm real solid with intermediate and short passes, but the long ones I never complete. They either get picked off or knocked down almost every time even if it looks like my WR has beaten the corner. I feel like the precision passing doesn't help either to be honest. Maybe I'm just not that good at it yet but I hold up on the left joystick when throwing a deep pass and it doesn't help.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:25 AM   #4
Pro

It is pretty difficult to complete deep passes as well as throw over defender's heads in this year's Madden. Although, it's less common than in Madden 12, I've seen defenders jump pretty high to intercept passes. If you have a straight path between the defender and receiver, you have to lob it up it fairly high to avoid a pick. Then u have to worryif the ball will be in the air too long because then a safety might have time to run over and break up the pass. I tend to be fairly cautious when attempting to throw over a defender and will usually just avoid it and try passes where the defender is not directly between the QB and receiver. It's just too risky unless you somehow know that defenders precise ratings and, even then, it takes the perfect amount of pressure on the button to get the pass the right height. And, FYI, I have noticed that pressing up leads to the pass being higher and the receiver usually has to jump to catch the ball.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:47 PM   #5
Banned

I don't like the whole left stick thing. It's nice in theory, but I'd rather just have the quarterback's ai make the common sense throw.

The whole tap or hold passing system is broken. If you tap the button for a lob, it takes entirely too long for the pass to get there and it's broken up. Unless you're throwing it long. The game very badly needs an in between, and that's where it should have just been left up to the ai. I shouldn't have to manipulate buttons to have the quarterback throw over a defending when my receiver is 10 yards ahead of him.

I know I'm not an incredible madden player, but I gave up a long time ago about hoping to make these passes. Anymore I just wait for holes in the zone, or lead my receiver gets out left or right if its man coverage and hope that if they can't beat the defender at least he has the same chance of getting there. I gave up on any hope of throwing over defenders like a month after playing Madden 13 for the first time.

Last edited by Fistandilius; 01-04-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-04-2014, 04:54 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistandilius
I don't like the whole left stick thing. It's nice in theory, but I'd rather just have the quarterback's ai make the common sense throw.
i felt like this until i practiced using it. the other day, my slow TE was running a route towards the FS, but my left stick pass moved him into space. no way the AI does that.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:03 AM   #7
MVP

CuseGirl's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjavon
No. Leading with the left stick (aka precision passing) is parallel to the playing field. Thus, pushing forward will lead the receiver upfield. Tap the button for a lob pass will provide a higher trajectory which will throw over a defender. The longer you hold the button down, the flatter the pass's trajectory will be. If you're really good, you can go somewhere in the middle, over one defender and underneath a safety playing over the receiver.
AH! Good to know...I know I'm not crazy, the arrows were parallel to the ground in earlier Madden's and then I think in the Ray Lewis cover one, they changed it and it just ruined me for a while....
Old 01-05-2014, 09:51 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajra21
i felt like this until i practiced using it. the other day, my slow TE was running a route towards the FS, but my left stick pass moved him into space. no way the AI does that.
I was trying to say the ai should do those things for you instead of trying to come up with this little fix of adding the left stick. (that doesn't work) If I throw a pass over a linebacker I know it's going to get picked. But we all know it shouldn't be. That's what I mean about the ai. They should have fixed the ai.

It should be possible to throw a pass that's in between a bullet and a lob that hangs forever. And also, why do bullet passes always have the same trajectory? They should be able to go over a defender.

As other users have said in this thread, the left stick is only good for moving your receiver away from a defender, mostly east west stuff.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »