Home

Contact or Power swinging?

This is a discussion on Contact or Power swinging? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 12-22-2013, 02:43 AM   #1
Rookie

deckofcards77's Arena

OVR: 1
Contact or Power swinging?

What's the most effective way to swing? Do you still hit homers with a contact swing?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-22-2013, 02:59 AM   #2
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: Contact or Power swinging?

I rarely hit HRs with contact swing. It's useful for avoiding swing & miss, but you'll have a less chance on driving the ball. I only use it when I don't want to strike out or just want to put balls in play (e.g., hitting a grounder with a runner on third). You'll notice the exit speed with contact swing is generally slower even when you square up.

Power swing, you'll hit harder if you can make a solid contact, but your bat control suffers (i.e., you'll end up with more swing and misses). So I would only use it only when I'm looking for a specific pitch (both location and speed). The exit speed with power swing is generally much faster when you square up. In turn, if you hit a grounder with a man on first, you might get more GIDPs.

In MLB 13, power swing is pretty effective... too effective IMO. If you play at a lower difficulty where PCI is generally big, you can hit HRs all day long by just waiting on a mistake pitch down the middle...
Old 12-22-2013, 09:51 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
In MLB 13, power swing is pretty effective... too effective IMO. If you play at a lower difficulty where PCI is generally big, you can hit HRs all day long by just waiting on a mistake pitch down the middle...

Unless you use timing, imo.

*watches as Evan Longoria is "looking" 2 feet outside on a pitch in the middle third of the plate and pops up*
Old 12-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

Typically if I am behind in the count (0-2, 1-2) I am using contact swing to fight off pitches and force the count back to 2-2, 3-2. It is a great way to stay alive in AB's and force the pitcher to "give in" to a pitch you can square up wth your normal swing.

I rarely hit HR's with contact swing...but I have done it. I have also gotten some key hits, or sac's using contact.

I rarely use the power the swing (I play with Timed hitting). Every now and then on a 3-1 count with my big boppers I will square up a ball with the power swing.
NHL23 - Panthers YR1
Star Wars Outlaws

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Old 12-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor & Sword
I rarely hit HR's with contact swing...but I have done it. I have also gotten some key hits, or sac's using contact.
Sometimes I get better hits with contact than normal - wonder if you're using a high contact player if contact swing isn't better since it makes it even more likely he'll square up the ball?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
Pr*

Joey's Arena

OVR: 15

Reading the question in the OP, I can't help but wonder if he means Normal or Power regarding HRs? I never use the Power swing. Ever. I still hit plenty of HRs with Normal and I always switch to Contact with 2 strikes. Only exception may be if I have a stud up and it's full count, then I may stay with the Normal swing.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:10 PM   #7
Rookie

deckofcards77's Arena

Okay. I see what you guys are saying, another question I have is when I play road the show, how do I hit homeruns if my power isn't all the way up? Do I power swing all the time?
Old 12-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #8
Rookie

deckofcards77's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey
Reading the question in the OP, I can't help but wonder if he means Normal or Power regarding HRs? I never use the Power swing. Ever. I still hit plenty of HRs with Normal and I always switch to Contact with 2 strikes. Only exception may be if I have a stud up and it's full count, then I may stay with the Normal swing.
So with the normal swinging I will still be able to hit homers? Even with a RTTS rookie?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »