Home

I can't figure out the cause of this (stats)

This is a discussion on I can't figure out the cause of this (stats) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 12-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
I can't figure out the cause of this (stats)

I just finished my first season in Madden 25 with the Bears and I was looking over some statistics for the season. I noticed my leading tackler had somewhere in the neighborhood of 80+ tackles. As I skimmed through the other teams and looked at the NFL leaders I noticed that the majority of teams had guys with 100+ tackles and the league leaders had around 150. I remember this being an issue on the last Madden I played all the way back in 2005. I've been thinking and trying to figure out why I don't have any defensive players with realistic tackle totals.

It doesn't make a lot of sense because I play, on average, the correct number of plays each game that are played in a real game. I haven't done the math but I'd be surprised if my team has fewer total tackles than any other team. I suppose I just don't have one dominant player, perhaps my tackles are spread out more evenly throughout my team. Has anyone else notices or experienced this? More importantly, is there something I can do to create more realistic tackle totals for my top-tier players.

Also, I'm wondering if the game does not calculate sacks or assisted tackles into the totals. I led the league in sacks with 84 (I know, that's a lot and in fact is a new NFL record). Maybe that accounts for the misleading totals. Either way, something is off with these numbers and I'm thinking it could possibly be a calculation issue with the game.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

Re: I can't figure out the cause of this (stats)

I added up some tackling totals and here's what I've found so far:

My team (the Bear) had 743 total tackles. One of my safeties, Chris Conte actually led the team with 86 tackles. I checked the Eagles and they had 938 total team tackles with two players over 100 for the year (as do most teams).

I'm having trouble figuring out why this happens. I had the number one rush defense so teams would often abandon the run against me this year which surely drove down my tackling totals for my linebackers. But other than that, the only thing I can figure is that sacks are not included in tackling totals for the user or that assists are not part of the equation either.

Streaming on Twitch
Old 12-20-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
PMO
Banned

PMO's Arena

OVR: 1

Reasons are simple:

If you are good then the CPU will not run as many plays as a simulated game, you will have majority, if your winning alot then they will throw more giving your LB's less chances to tackle the RB.

Assisted tackles are poorly recorded in this game, I remember Madden a few years ago you would end every game with your LB having 6-8 tackles and 4-5 assisted giving you a total almost every game of 10. I regularly had 4-5 ppl over 100 tackles.

So far 2 seasons down in my Lions chise I have had Tulloch end with 110 and 117, no one else has entered the 100+ group.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #4
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMO
Reasons are simple:

If you are good then the CPU will not run as many plays as a simulated game, you will have majority, if your winning alot then they will throw more giving your LB's less chances to tackle the RB.

Assisted tackles are poorly recorded in this game, I remember Madden a few years ago you would end every game with your LB having 6-8 tackles and 4-5 assisted giving you a total almost every game of 10. I regularly had 4-5 ppl over 100 tackles.

So far 2 seasons down in my Lions chise I have had Tulloch end with 110 and 117, no one else has entered the 100+ group.
Well, some of that makes sense but I just don't see how there would be such a large discrepancy. I have about 200-250 fewer tackles than most other teams. I've got box scores for every game I play (I run a dynasty site) and I've looked back over many of them. It does seem that the CPU is often pass-heavy which is one of the things I suggested as a possible reason for the lack of tackles. But still. That's a huge drop and I'd like to figure out how to fix it. I don't understand how the CPU would have less snaps than they would in a simulated game. I play on 15 minute quarters with a 13 second run off. That has given me very realistic numbers of plays in every game. I have anywhere between 130-160 plays per game on both sides of the ball. I'm just going to try and not worry about it so much (which is hard for me).

I also wish there was some way to track whether or not the game is recording assisted tackles (outside the box score after each game). There should be two separate categories. Not that it would make a huge difference but I bet Conte would have 100 or more if his assists were included.

Is anyone else having success getting your top defensive players to record a realistic number of tackles each year? Again, I remember this being an issue in every Madden game I've ever played, I just haven't played one in quite a while until this year.

Streaming on Twitch
Old 12-20-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

Also, when factoring total plays should punts, field goals, and kickoffs be included?

Here's an example of average total plays for NFL teams
http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat...ate=2013-02-03

But what all does this include? Just offensive plays from scrimmage?

Streaming on Twitch
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

PMO, going back to your thoughts. You might be onto something with the game's problem(s) recording assisted tackles. I don't know how many assists a player racks up in a typical NFL game but I'm going to guess it's more than what we get in a game that we play on Madden 25.

I know there are many times where there are multiple players in on tackles. Shouldn't they all receive an assist for that? I'm not entirely sure how it works but I'm willing to bet if the assists were calculated correctly we'd see more realistic stats in games that we play.

Streaming on Twitch
Old 12-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #7
PMO
Banned

PMO's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
PMO, going back to your thoughts. You might be onto something with the game's problem(s) recording assisted tackles. I don't know how many assists a player racks up in a typical NFL game but I'm going to guess it's more than what we get in a game that we play on Madden 25.

I know there are many times where there are multiple players in on tackles. Shouldn't they all receive an assist for that? I'm not entirely sure how it works but I'm willing to bet if the assists were calculated correctly we'd see more realistic stats in games that we play.
The assisted tackles and notorious gang tackles are what kills the tackle total. Remember the Madden when there were like 9 man gang tackles. I used to end seasons with my guys having 70 solo and 50 assisted, it was great. Those days are gone so it's difficult to do it. My last season I ended with a 117, 98 and a 95 so it can be done, but it shouldn't be difficult like it is right now

Just a NFL example, MLB David Harris for the Jets last year had 79 solo tackles and 44 assisted giving him a nice 123 total tackles. You will be lucky if 1 player has 10 assisted tackles all season in this years Madden.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:13 PM   #8
Banned

kpkpkp's Arena

OVR: 13

I use 15 mins with 16 second runoff. Maybe you should try upping yours a bit.

I'm not sure about my tackle totals, I will l will look when I get home.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »