Home

Please Explain this NO SWITCH RULE

This is a discussion on Please Explain this NO SWITCH RULE within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 12-20-2013, 11:02 AM   #1
Rookie

BengalsFan99's Arena

OVR: 0
Please Explain this NO SWITCH RULE

I have been playing Madden since my college days back in ole 1992 lol. We never played with any rule of not switching players on defense. Please explain why folks do this and why some think it is "cheap" or "cheating".
I generally start off playing as a DE or OLB and switch to wherever the ball is thrown.

All thoughts are appreciated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-20-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
MVP

XXstormmXX's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Please Explain this NO SWITCH RULE

It's not cheating, anyone who says that is probably just mad that you're beating them.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

The general mindset behind this way to play the game is to allow player ratings to play more of a part in the game. Let's say you have a Revis at CB against a guy like Armanti Edwards (who? exactly). Theoretically a CPU controlled Revis should dominate Edwards up and down the field. If you throw a jump ball to Armanti with Revis on him that battle should go to Revis the large majority of the time. When you take over and user catch with the CB/DB you instantly nullify their attributes outside of speed (you could probably get more technical, but it's the main attribute). I can go ahead and dominate a Revis type with Armanti if I have the stick skills that trump yours. Even if I'm taking Armanti against a CPU Revis I have a huge advantage because of solid stick skills.

For the record I don't think it's cheap or cheating at all. I also don't know anybody who does think it is. That's not why the rule is put in place. It's put in place for the above. If people want to user catch that's fine with me but I don't want to play against people that do. It's great that we have options and the rule is actually popular on this site and a staple of most online leagues.

This thread is cool for conversation if you generally want to know why people use this rule, but if the goal was to say "I don't see why people do this or that" and "Why even play the game?!" etc etc then I will happily close this thread for you sir.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)

Last edited by NDAlum; 12-20-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
Run After Catch

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
The general mindset behind this way to play the game is to allow player ratings to play more of a part in the game. Let's say you have a Revis at CB against a guy like Armanti Edwards (who? exactly). Theoretically a CPU controlled Revis should dominate Edwards up and down the field. If you throw a jump ball to Armanti with Revis on him that battle should go to Revis the large majority of the time. When you take over and user catch with the CB/DB you instantly nullify their attributes outside of speed (you could probably get more technical, but it's the main attribute). I can go ahead and dominate a Revis type with Armanti if I have the stick skills that trump yours. Even if I'm taking Armanti against a CPU Revis I have a huge advantage because of solid stick skills.

For the record I don't think it's cheap or cheating at all. I also don't know anybody who does think it is. That's not why the rule is put in place. It's put in place for the above. If people want to user catch that's fine with me but I don't want to play against people that do. It's great that we have options and the rule is actually popular on this site and a staple of most online leagues.

This thread is cool for conversation if you generally want to know why people use this rule, but if the goal was to say "I don't see why people do this or that" and "Why even play the game?!" etc etc then I will happily close this thread for you sir.
Yeah, just a different way to enjoy the game. Skills on the sticks can be a great equalizer so it can remove that from the equation.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
Rookie

BengalsFan99's Arena

OVR: 0

I mostly play against the cpu, so I like to switch. I would hate to leave things up to the cpu teammates. But I definitely would like to see how different my games with my brother in law would be not switching on dfense. He usually beats me on a consistent basis with those damn 49ers.

If I used this strategy against the cpu I would have to make more adjustments pre snap. I may try this tonight. Thanks guys!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
MVP

heelphreak's Arena

OVR: 6

My understanding of it is that it's for simulation play against the CPU. Some people are anal about realism and stats. And many people have also played this game for so many years that with switching it gives them a distinct advantage. I impose no switch on myself for that reason.

Ultimately it's up to however you like to play your game.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
Dynasty Guru

JaymeeAwesome's Arena

OVR: 16

If I played online, knowing that people will try to win at all costs, I would switch defenders. If playing the CPU, it's just too much of a player advantage to user everyone that gets close to the ball. Against the CPU I always recommend allowing the AI take over so the ratings matter.

Madden 15 Sliders: Realistic Game Stat Sliders for Madden 15

Madden 15 Dynasty: The NFL Reborn...
Old 12-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #8
PMO
Banned

PMO's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan99
I have been playing Madden since my college days back in ole 1992 lol. We never played with any rule of not switching players on defense. Please explain why folks do this and why some think it is "cheap" or "cheating".
I generally start off playing as a DE or OLB and switch to wherever the ball is thrown.

All thoughts are appreciated.
Its as simple and allowing the ratings to play a part in the game, its used for HUM vs CPU only basically.

If I turn into the WR every time I throw it then whats the difference between Megatron and Jeremy Kerley, same with CB no difference between Revis and joke rookie CB Dee Milliner for the Jets.

The awareness rating becomes worthless if you are the person being aware of the play, same with route running for a WR and any coverage rating for the CB.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »