Home

A ? about NEXTGEN commentary and why [virtual] Phil Simms must die..

This is a discussion on A ? about NEXTGEN commentary and why [virtual] Phil Simms must die.. within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 12-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 13
A ? about NEXTGEN commentary and why [virtual] Phil Simms must die..

I am a Giants fan and I love the real Phil Simms. I even like him on the CBS broadcast - but on the game he makes my ears bleed. The commentary is dry, repetative and and OFTEN way out of context. (If he tells me one more time how the RB mad a bad decision when I was tackled 4 yards in the backfield I will scream).

With NeXTGEN I expected more than just pretty graphics and better AI. I was hoping to push the boundaries in all areas. Including commentary. Specifically -I want THIS:

This game had 2 (two) broadcast teams. This wasn't even an A list title like Madden was. This was an early generation LAST GEN title. Why can't we have something like this going forward? OR at the very least - scrap the "real" broadcast teams and get 2 voice actors who actually have the time to record together and with MUCH more lines to go from (aka NFL2K series). I am flexible. But we need something more than this. Please.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47
Re: A ? about NEXTGEN commentary and why [virtual] Phil Simms must die..

Yeah they need to take their real lines during an actual broadcast and plug them in. To be fair it is difficult to get into a studio and "imagine" the action on the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-15-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 0

They have a lot more problems than just having the two guys record together, which if I recall correctly they actually did do (at least that's what Tiburon said they did), but it doesn't seem to have made much of a difference.

There are issues with the script and how certain TV-styled form and lingo is done wrong (notice how Jim Nantz says "28 to Zero", commentators NEVER say "Zero" ever when reporting a score. Ever.). Or sometimes Jim will say "Patriots line up, blah blah blah" but not saying "The" is bizarre and it's something you can tell they didn't catch in editing, especially since the same issue was there in M13.

Then you have problems with the timing of certain lines, the way the lines aren't programmed to react accordingly to what's happening on the field as often as it should and often times not at all (like during a big INT, fumble and/or fumble recovery, or return TD), and so on and so forth. And how many times do they have to have Nantz tell us that the same receiver is in the slot again and again?

Since M13, the commentators SOUND better sonically, and that's big. But the issues I mentioned are bigger and that's why the commentary is generations behind where it should be. All of this has been said before though. They've been told. Will they ever actually care? That's the question that remains unanswered for many years now.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceMask
They have a lot more problems than just having the two guys record together, which if I recall correctly they actually did do (at least that's what Tiburon said they did), but it doesn't seem to have made much of a difference.

There are issues with the script and how certain TV-styled form and lingo is done wrong (notice how Jim Nantz says "28 to Zero", commentators NEVER say "Zero" ever when reporting a score. Ever.). Or sometimes Jim will say "Patriots line up, blah blah blah" but not saying "The" is bizarre and it's something you can tell they didn't catch in editing, especially since the same issue was there in M13.

Then you have problems with the timing of certain lines, the way the lines aren't programmed to react accordingly to what's happening on the field as often as it should and often times not at all (like during a big INT, fumble and/or fumble recovery, or return TD), and so on and so forth. And how many times do they have to have Nantz tell us that the same receiver is in the slot again and again?

Since M13, the commentators SOUND better sonically, and that's big. But the issues I mentioned are bigger and that's why the commentary is generations behind where it should be. All of this has been said before though. They've been told. Will they ever actually care? That's the question that remains unanswered for many years now.

Good post. Totally agree. No matter how much they record, or who they get in there, it's still up to Tiburon to bring it into the game and have it function properly.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 12-16-2013, 01:02 AM   #5
Lord of Suffering

Darth Aegis's Arena

OVR: 5

How about al Michaels and chris collinsworth there the best in the biz. Nantz and Phil suck. Ya know Jim jim jim o brother they make my ears bleed.

Playing:
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2013, 08:51 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 3

i think they should use Greg Gumbel instead of Jim Nantz.

the way he talks just fits better into the way a video game splices in commentary to fit the comments.

he sounds liknda like "one thing we're going to talk about after this game, should this continue the way it is, is the lack of production on third downs"

or even better, find someone who can mimic Pat Summerall
Old 12-16-2013, 06:22 PM   #7
MVP

BBallcoach's Arena

OVR: 7

You guys do realize, no matter how much commentary they put in, it will always get stale in. There is only so much they can put it. If you play the game for 100+ hours it is going to get very stale.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:16 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 3

i disagree. i think the atmosphere is what gives a game it's longevity.

it's why i could put in years worth of nfl 2k5 and madden 05, VS 2k4 04 and fever 2004, which are actually a bit better in gameplay than their successors.

i think it really shouldn't be that hard to do. i don't care if the commentary is a bit choppy, as long as it isn't Arma II hostile.vehicle. two-clicks.WEST.of you.

every game there should be about 3 or 4 positives the commentators can start off about for each team.

if it were Pats Broncos, they would start out with Brady, the Manning, their seasons. the next strength the broncos receivers, the patriots pulling games off in the clutch. then for the broncos, showcasing von miller and a good secondary (just take the average overall rating and then their defensive ranking). i can't really think of a third for the pats since their so injury depleted.

then you go into what the opposing teams will probably gameplan for. the pats attacking the weaker broncos front seven, the broncos playing a lot of man to man against an average group of pats receivers, etc. then mention the teams previous games as wins/ losses, and mention a streak. and that's about all you need. for the playoffs, mention the seeding, and any other playoff particulars.

all they have to do is program the game to recognize top 1, 2, 3 players on a team, top average of certain player groups and their respective season stats. recognize the teams worst average and their season stats. it's just a bunch of the computer acknowledging yes/no.

then during the game, just compile the stats and base the commentary off there. player performance, unanswered points, team stats ETC.

it's 2013 man, it's time to start getting this stuff. i would rather have all this and average graphics/gameplay VS great gameplay and stale atmosphere. the better the atmosphere, the more you forget it's a game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »