Home

An appeal to the company that produces this game. Take the rosters to ZERO

This is a discussion on An appeal to the company that produces this game. Take the rosters to ZERO within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 12-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
MVP

Kaanyr Vhok's Arena

OVR: 14
An appeal to the company that produces this game. Take the rosters to ZERO

I’ll bold the highlights.This might be one or more ponderous reads. I will chastise, though I know there are people in the company who want to hear this. Some will pump there fist. If I know it, and others know it, some of you know it too. Your Rosters lack competence. Now I can see a conniving cover up.

Please in 40 days preferably, more; less maybe. I don’t care, take them to 0. Every tendency, every rating, every body proportion, playbook everything including the back end numbers that govern the sliders ZERO.

Then build them off an even scale with science, consistency, passion, narrative, and most important reason. If you cant find a reason for a rating get rid of it. The REAL Insider quotes five sources. They are websites mostly, with stats and stuff.

Ive taken issue with the ratings in the past but this last update is just depressing. Its gotten to the point where the predictability offers no solace. I know as a Trail Blazer fan how things can turn. Every time Aldrige or Lillard takes a spill in Portland you hear the crowed gasp. So I will savor it for what its worth. They are the best basketball team on the planet. They are numero uno in Dec; playing the last place team in a ‘trap game’ after the Jazz beat the Rockets and they are putting on a 40-13 3rd quarter giving them a 37 point lead. No let down after beating the Pacers and the Thunder.

Quote:
"I guess we have to get out to the shooters better," Jazz forward Gordon Hayward said. "I don't think it's a lack of effort. They snowballed on us."
17 of 23 from 3 to give them their 17th win against 3 loses

Quote:
Portland made 17 of 23 shots from 3-point range for 73.9 percent, an NBA record for a team with at least 20 attempts, according to Basketball-Reference.com.
You had the opportunity to capture why they are that and didn’t. Not that I expected you would. Its just that my standards aren’t that high so your folly is more disappointing.

In spite of my low standards for the official rosters I am irritated by a notion. I sense the strange willful ignorance of a powerful chief. Let me digress and say this. The Trail Blazers looked like a team that might fight for the sixth seed at best but you still had them ranked 23rd which is a red flag but nothing in scope. You raised their overall team ranking from 23rd lol to 6 but you didn’t capture why they improved at all. You barely changed the skills of the players. I don’t even see how you improved them. Matthews and Batum are still 19th and 20th at their position. Batum is 98th overall and Matthews is 107th. So there are 106 player you would want over a guy that is putting up the most efficient shooting numbers since Wilt Chamberlain? You can name 18 better small forwards than Batum? Didnt the T-Wolves offer him 80 million? With ratings like this you are supposed to have horrible trade, and freeagent logic. There is no wonder people want 30 team control.

It looks like either two things happened. The Trail Blazer’s team boost is a product of having fewer injuries or it’s a lie.

You didn’t really improve guys. Aldridge is still the 4th ranked PF. Lillard is 12th. As I predicted Matthews got a 3pt boost from 83 to 88 to 89 lol and somehow this team goes from 23rd to 6th. Nobody had an overall boost. You didn’t improve Batum’s passing or any players’s passing for that matter.
http://www.nba.com/video/games/blaze...-por-play2.nba

Fight Night vs Victorious Boxers all over again. I remember when Fight Night had boxers that looked like real boxers while Victorious Boxers had boxers who fought like real boxers. This is your Batum. He is still a cutter and a spot up shooter with a 43 in passing and the tendencies to match. He looks like Batum. Would look a bit more like him with his 7’4 wingspan. That is if you edited the wingspans which you now have the capability to do but dont. It doesn’t take long. You can draftexpress or google them.

How can you simulate players when ratings like PASS are off limits? Look at his stats. He still has a lower pass rating than Matthews. Lopez is ranked 297th in the league. Lol tell that to Noah and Hibbert. You improved his rebound rating before dropping it down to 53 again yet they moved from 23rd to 6th? You didn’t improve Matthews’s overall shooting, his off the dribble which was raised, his post, no sig skills.

So I looked around. Just maybe you paid some service to all the overrated players. Maybe the Trail Blazers didn’t move up. Maybe the rest of the teams moved down. This was a concern. I can see in Lillard more than any other player how players start off with magician hat ratings. You were forced to improve his overall after winning rookie of the month every month. You threw ratings on him like rice at weddings. He has a 72 in shooting off the dribble, and a 99 runner. That tells me you don’t know his game. He also has a 95 in speed. He has a close rating in the 70s. These are like Ty Lawson ratings – the 99 runner. Its not Lillard. A proper Lillard is slower, has shoot off the dribble rating in the high 80s or 90s, has a low close, lower than the 70s, a runner that is closer to 25 than 99 and probably has a couple more emo badges.

As someone who has watched almost every game in his pro career and knew his stats from his sprint at the combine to all the advanced metrics. I gave him the most logical ratings I could in what I thought was a reasonable scale and his overall dropped to 80. If the official ratings weren’t so obvious id assume that I was the idiot. I can see whats going on and what went on. You systematically overrated good players because all you know is some of what they are good at. This eased up some when you started looking at stats. I think I was part of that movement to sway you. I remember when I would complain on the Insider’s blog about Aldridge being rated like Moses Malone. That was addressed. It stopped with shooting stats and now your shooting ratings have gotten lazy. For a while you produced shooting ratings that weren’t all that subjective. The rest of the ratings were arbitrary but the shooting ratings were ok. Now your shooting ratings have fallen too. You have Garnet with 92 90 while he is shooting sub 40 in real life and like I said with Matthews if this was 2k10 when the Insider was like god in the New testament Matthews would have had an increase in more than just three point shooting.

Back to the overrated players

Billups (if he wasn’t injured) would still have a 6 point overall advantage to Patrick Beverly. So no other teams didn’t move down yet Portland moves up from 23rd to 6th? I really dont care about team ratings however this deception bothers me because it proves that you would rather spend the time pretending to make the rosters look like the NBA with numbers on the quick game screen than doing what must feel like work.

I will pitch in to buy the REAL insider a PS 4 and a One before I spend a cent on VC. As far as I’m concerned VC stands for Visual Concepts. As basketball video game developers VC is genius. Most of the gameplay is ahead of its time. Id really love to have defensive settings back besides that there is nothing about the way this game plays that is worth passionate criticism and I cringe whenever I see people going off about the gameplay. Much of what is wrong would be fixed with better rosters and simple slider tweaks. The rest of the flaws would benefit from a stronger foundation set by having better numbers under the hood.

Let me explain the importance of custom defensive settings. Or better yet
Chew on this
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...on-nba-defense
Quote:
The Blazers aren't content to use the typical scheme employed in the Association, one that revolves around packing players into the paint for as long as possible. Instead of protecting the rim, they're conceding easy attempts there and defending the three-point arc as aggressively as possible.

Quote:
So, what makes Portland one of those rare teams that is able to face so many interior attempts and walk away without too many problems? It's not like they have truly outstanding individual defenders waiting in the paint, after all.
Their style is all about stopping the three while reducing the FG% near the hoop.To best represent them with POE you would pick defend the perimeter and protect the rim. We cant do that. Their style is a contradiction in the POEs.

Id like a better representation of the NBA since you actually have the hard part down. This is evident in the fact that I can download hundreds of rosters that are better than the official. Its evident by the fact that defensive settings were in before the first patch.

It’s not like these roster editors are that smart. Greedy was pioneering but he brought nothing but common sense, passion and the attitude that comes with it.

Solution
Ive said for years that artificial speed ratings had a trickledown effect on the gameplay. If you give a guy like Lillard a 95 speed with his just three point and off the dribble rating mix in some lag and you have created another JR Smith. If you make every big man slow you might have a problem with transition defense and spend years editing catchup speed.
Now you have a lip service deal with a company that is willing to tell the world that they track the max speed and average speed of a player on the court. For real? Really? That would pretty much solve speed quickness and stamina.

Give STATS complete control. Take pride in your game with a humble realization that this aspect is terrible. Roll it back to 0. All tendencies, rosters, everything.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: An appeal to the company that produces this game. Take the rosters to ZERO

Couldn't agree more. i made a thread about this a few days ago and one guy commented about the 2k insider: "He is about an Insider as sitting outside at the beach". that single sentence describes the whole opinion of the whole community pretty much.

2K should just give that Rashidi guy a job and make him in charge of everything to do with rosters.

On a side note about speed - the differences in speed ratings need to be made larger. EG lets say that right now a difference of 5 means that you're 10% faster, it should actually be 20% faster (dummy numbers) because it's ridiculous how bigs keep up with some of the fastest PGs on fastbreaks and how players like Westbrook can't easily blow-by bigs during a mismatch.

But i hope you enjoyed venting because 2k is never going to listen us. even if we were to tweetbomb ronnie 2k he would churn out another one of his generic responses from his list. They need to be humbled first(ie drop in sales) . Just in general terms i believe 2k11 was the last really good sim basketball experience and they've really started to cater to casual gamers a bit too heavily i think and have forgotten what the sim gamers care about (eg rosters, playbooks, customization options). It came out the year NBA live really died out. We need at least 2 competitors so we don't have to continue to deal with this BS

Last edited by Rotatingkitchen; 12-07-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 9

This is a problem of having a bunch of computer programmers and no statisticians or mathematicians or physicists making the game.

All you need is one and he'll say "we're doing all the player ratings and tendencies off of advanced metrics" and then it would get done properly. Until then, it's pretty much just whatever the perception or raw numbers say.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #4
MVP

Kaanyr Vhok's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotatingkitchen
On a side note about speed - the differences in speed ratings need to be made larger. EG lets say that right now a difference of 5 means that you're 10% faster, it should actually be 20% faster (dummy numbers) because it's ridiculous how bigs keep up with some of the fastest PGs on fastbreaks and how players like Westbrook can't easily blow-by bigs during a mismatch.
I disagree to a point. The slowest player and the fastest player irl are barely more than 20% apart at full speed. The takeoffs and change of directions vary more but top speed is fairly uniform so 5 points altering 10% is way too much and Im glad they reduced it. Before they reduced it, Joel Pryzbilla ran like an old man; not getting back on defense and never getting trail rebounds in 2k6. Then in 2k7 they gave bigs catchup speed to make up for their slowness and everyone said they were too fast.

Reducing the difference was a step in the right direction and some bigs should be able to keep up with Westbrook because the moment he slows down to slightly to move around someone is all they need to gain stride. This is why one man fastbreaks happen 0-5 times a game in real life. I reduced Lillard to 85 and I still mash by a few in fastbreaks yet I still know what you are talking about.

The physical interaction with a faster player and a slower player or even quicker and less quick sorta breaks down in the AI and animations. Not enough involuntary blocking calls when you run into guys who arent set but then that could make for a nasty exploit. CH 2k8 actually got some of this right and NBA 2k7 had occasional blocking calls. CH 2k8 was the one game that let you run the baseline like Nash. The defense avoided blocking contact while still hovering to block the shot. You need that avoidance in the AI along with the ability to beat it and draw a relative amount of blocking calls.

Those are the AI tweaks you need to make it work. Increasing the difference in speed will just take us back to 2k6. Dont expect to ever see anything like this again. You hardly ever see it now. Actually you would never see it now. Faverani is barely fast enough and probably doesnt have the dunk ratings (at least with sim sliders) for it.

Quote:
But i hope you enjoyed venting because 2k is never going to listen us. even if we were to tweetbomb ronnie 2k he would churn out another one of his generic responses from his list. They need to be humbled first(ie drop in sales) . Just in general terms i believe 2k11 was the last really good sim basketball experience and they've really started to cater to casual gamers a bit too heavily i think and have forgotten what the sim gamers care about (eg rosters, playbooks, customization options). It came out the year NBA live really died out. We need at least 2 competitors so we don't have to continue to deal with this BS
I dont know. I feel the listened after my videos comparing CH 2k8 to NBA 2k9. Everything I touched on in those videos were addressed by 2k11 though some of it was undone by the poor presentation, explanation and removal of defensive settings.

Do they need competition from an outside source? People can strive to be better than they were or better than the fans could imagine. Too many of VCs former mistakes were in response to NBA Live. What has competition done for EA but curled them into a fetal position?
Old 12-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #5
Rookie

EA were curled into a fetal position because they were constantly trying to screw over the consumer and it bit them HEAVILY. competition is good for all products. do you think the ps4 would be as good as it is if the xbone didn't exist and vice versa? Do you notice how VC creeped into the game in 2k13 (a year when NBA live wasn't around)?

i still think big men should be less agile at the very least if they aren't going to be made slower
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
MVP

RangersCruz's Arena

OVR: 10

Not trolling nor do i disagree but What i took from this thread.

1.Blazers are the best team?..yeah....
2.Lopez is comparable to Noah when it comes to passing
3.All Blazer's players should be boosted
4.No other team exists in basketball.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
Rookie

This thread deserves to remain atop the board. So many of the "glitches" in this game are just a product of a garbage effort on the rosters. There is no long any excuse.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #8
MVP

Kaanyr Vhok's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersCruz
Not trolling nor do i disagree but What i took from this thread.

1.Blazers are the best team?..yeah....
2.Lopez is comparable to Noah when it comes to passing
3.All Blazer's players should be boosted
4.No other team exists in basketball.

1. Yes. I wish it was April but it is what it is. They have the second best record and beat the Spurs, Pacers, Warriors and Thunder. Right now they are the best team in the league.

2. Never said that but he out rebounded Noah something like 15 to 3 when they faced the Bulls. Heck of a game for a guy who is almost ranked 300th in the league

3. Never said that. In fact I said I said pretty much the opposite. Every player should be taken to 0. I have a major problem when the Trail Blazers are boosted from 23rd to 6th as a team but the ratings and player rankings barely change. That seems like I load of BS to me. I also mentioned that Lillard was overrated so I dont know where you came to that conclusion.

4. None that I know as well so its easier to speak on whats wrong but i lets face it the rosters are so bad I could ignore the Trail Blazers. Billups being rated higher than Beverly is worse than any overall rating on the Trail Blazers but then I dont care that much about overall ratings. Like I said with Lillard if you were to give him honest ratings his overall would decrease.

Last edited by Kaanyr Vhok; 12-07-2013 at 03:58 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »