Home

Did Patch and Roster drastically change gameplay?

This is a discussion on Did Patch and Roster drastically change gameplay? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 12-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 1
Did Patch and Roster drastically change gameplay?

Played several 48 minute games last night, and had an extremely frustrating experience all around.

Before the patch/roster, I felt that Next-Gen Allstar Simulation played pretty decent for the most part. Had some CPU cheesiness, but was much better than stock Current-Gen 2K14. Balanced, fun, and not hair-tearingly frustrating.

Playing last night, I saw SO much cheese and frustrating AI gameplay in games as the Warriors against the Rockets (without Lin and Parsons!):

- The Rockets would get a ridiculous amount of offensive boards (at one point 14-4 in one game), partly due to...

- Constant overhelping on the drive, leading to easy drop off dunks over and over or no one left to rebound if a contest was successful.

- SO many blocked shots going straight back to the CPU team who would calmly then finish uncontested, often being the player that shot the ball.

- Sluggish passing and massive delays before the pass even leaves your hands due to being stuck in animations all the time. All of the crispness of Next-Gen passing seemed gone.

- Amazing reaction speeds and constant ball hawking by everyone on the CPU team-- in the interior and on the perimeter, often when there's no way the CPU could see the ball coming that fast.

- Sluggish player speeds on defense and offense. Felt like Curry lost a step or three and couldn't use changes of speed like he did just nights before.

- Patrick Beverly playing like Russell Westbrook and scoring with incredible accuracy and ease inside and out. He scores 25-30 every game.

- Francisco Garcia playing like prime Ray Allen, who was at one point completely unstoppable on the perimeter. He scores 20-25 every game.

- Players slipping off their covers on the drive with the slightest touch of the control stick.

- Curry being extremely slow shooting the ball off the dribble.

It's like everything terrible about Current Gen 2K14 came back in full force with the patch and roster and then some. Did 2K adjust the game to play like the cheesy frustrating experience that is CG 2K14 out of the box?

I never had SO many issues before the patch-- then again, I've never played the Rockets until now. Are the Rockets just pure AI cheese (even without Lin and Parsons) or did something happen to the core gameplay with the latest updates?

Last edited by Sundown; 12-07-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Did Patch and Roster drastically change gameplay?

I've been curious also to hear from others have they seen the gameplay change or improve with the roster update, since its supposed to be the dynamic stats inc update with the players and teams playing like the teams really do in the NBA.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

Guys, please post video.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLRams
I've been curious also to hear from others have they seen the gameplay change or improve with the roster update, since its supposed to be the dynamic stats inc update with the players and teams playing like the teams really do in the NBA.
Preeetty sure Patrick Beverly doesn't score 30 points a game on high efficiency in real life, STATS update or not.

I also think some of the roster updates were heavy handed and simplistic.

Klay Thompson got 3-point shooting boosted all the way to 90 as a base. He's rated higher than Curry now.

No. Just no. Thompson has improved vastly but he also gets a ridiculous amount of open looks because of Iggy and Curry. Curry consistently takes more difficult shots than Thompson and faces more defensive pressure as primary ball handler and number one option.

Once again, you can't just take raw 3-point and FG% without considering shot type, defense, and context!

Weird that Draymond Green is still stuck in the 50's, even though he's been shooting like 38%. Even weirder is that he makes a ton in game even with that rating.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
MVP

RangersCruz's Arena

OVR: 10

Did you play more then one game though? with D12/Asik and all those 3pt shooters that stuff happens sometimes
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersCruz
Did you play more then one game though? with D12/Asik and all those 3pt shooters that stuff happens sometimes
I played several, like mentioned in the OP. I spent hours banging my head against the wall, even trying rebounding POEs just to even up the ridiculous differential. I could never control the game or get ahead of the CPU for long because it was one thing after another.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #7
MVP

Kaanyr Vhok's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
Weird that Draymond Green is still stuck in the 50's, even though he's been shooting like 38%. Even weirder is that he makes a ton in game even with that rating.
Its not weird. Weird is Andre Miller's head. A guy with a 3pt rating in the 50s who shoots 38% in real life is just incompetent ratings. Like I said before the ratings should start at 0 for every player. Too many guys are systematically overrated or ignored. Every PG in the game is systematically overrated.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #8
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

What mode? I only play nba today games and it feels much better control wise. I hated how defense played pre patch...the slightest touch and your defender would do that wide cut off animation.

Defense, rebounding is pretty much on par with CG and I like how CG plays now (I maybe in the minority here) with the tuners in affect. Playing on pro btw...

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »