Home

Having Trouble Playing Defense

This is a discussion on Having Trouble Playing Defense within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 12-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
Banned

Cre8's Arena

OVR: 9
Having Trouble Playing Defense

I don't know if I am the only one, but playing defense feels almost impossible. I usually roll with Heisman sliders and have a decent time playing defense... at least in the past.

Now, it feels like my defenders are sluggish and almost 'stupid'. They have terrible reaction time and I have resorted to simming the defensive side of the game simply because the CPU cannot be stopped (even bad teams).

Any suggestions? I'd really like to go back to playing a complete game on both sides but right now it is too frustrating.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
MVP

mjavon's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Having Trouble Playing Defense

I've felt this way at times, but I've gotten better at defense. To me it seems beneficial to call a variety of defenses, but to stick to base defenses 75% of the time. If you run cover 3 every play, the CPU will eventually figure you out and tear it apart. Blitzing works a lot better when the offense doesn't expect it, so you have to set it up by calling more base D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2013, 08:01 AM   #3
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

I play on All-American so I don't have much experience playing on the Heisman level, but for me defense is fun to play. My slider set is almost at default with a few tweaks but no more than a five point increase or decrease here and there. I call my defense based on the offenses personal. Since most of the teams run spread I'm in Nickel or Dime a lot. I mix coverage up between man, 2 deep, 3 deep, and zone blitz. I try to only rush 4 about 90% of the time. I can get pressure with just 4 making the CPU QB have to move or throw off balanced. I'm not shutting down the passing game but I can hold average QBs under 250yds while 85ovr or higher can go over 300yds on me at times.

The key is missing up coverage and having a DC with the coverage boost also helps.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

Run a bend but don't break and clamp down in the Goal line. One strategy I use when roaming the middle is to watch the running backs pattern. If he runs away from the middle if the field you can usually expect a route by a receiver or tight end. To stop out routes run cover 2 man, purple route the safety to the wide side of the field and shift coverage to the middle. You will give up yards up the middle but play center field with the now middle safety.

Last edited by Gr4h4mb0; 12-06-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:03 AM   #5
Rookie

Falacer's Arena

OVR: 3

I suck at actually playing D which is why I almost always SIM that side of the ball. When I do need to actually play D I pick one of the Safeties in a Cover 2 or some form of zone D with at least one LB blitzing. Then I hope and pray I dont have to actually make a play on a pass.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »