Home

What kind of Anti-Aliasing solution will 14 use on PS4?

This is a discussion on What kind of Anti-Aliasing solution will 14 use on PS4? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 11-29-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
Rookie

Unit303's Arena

OVR: 2
What kind of Anti-Aliasing solution will 14 use on PS4?

Well, We have seen the new Sony method of Supersampling + FXAA (TSSAA) in Killzone be used to great results, considering they are pushing things, and FIFA 14 uses a traditional 2xMSAA solution.

Both work.

My question is what is MLB 14 going to use. I was hoping that 4xMSAA would be possible here, well it is technically, but thought maybe this team would opt for Sony's custom solution as it requires less bandwidth. I don't particularly like FXAA derivatives but they have improved it by a ton obviously. Any chance we just get straight up 4xMSAA or will you guys be using TSSAA?

And don't tell me you are using FXAA because I have razorblades around.

Anyway, looking at the new texture work seems the team is fairly ambitious here. I hope you guys meet your standards for 14! Great that you didn't have to make launch!

Last edited by Unit303; 11-29-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-30-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
MVP

rjackson's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: What kind of Anti-Aliasing solution will 14 use on PS4?

The only thing productive I have to say is I don't care if it has 8-bit graphics as long as the gameplay and franchise mode are top-notch!

Why do they call it anti-aliasing? It sounds like something FinCen would hate--something to do with money laundering.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
Banned

dingleberryfinn's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson
The only thing productive I have to say is I don't care if it has 8-bit graphics as long as the gameplay and franchise mode are top-notch!

Why do they call it anti-aliasing? It sounds like something FinCen would hate--something to do with money laundering.

I thought it had to with the dislike of Tony Plush.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:01 AM   #4
Hoos Rising

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson
Aliasing is any error between a signal as originally broadcast and how some receiver interprets that signal. It's a broad term that is used in computer graphics, digital photography, digital audio, and any other discipline concerned with signal processing. Anti-aliasing is correction of the interpreted received signal to better reconstruct the original signal.

In video games, anti-aliasing is a broad term, but by its most common meaning it is used to eliminate the presence of visual jaggies at the edges of a 3D object when drawing it to the 2D render surface (which is then projected to the screen and is what you ultimately see).

It's commonly done at the hardware level of a computer by a graphics card. It can be an expensive operation, depending on how it is implemented, but most modern hardware setups, particularly those used in high-end PC gaming (and I'm guessing Generation 8 consoles by extension), should be able to handle the process without major implications to frame rate (the number of times a computer can draw to the screen in one second).

Here's a simple example of the effect that anti-aliasing allows video game developers to achieve. The image on the right is anti-aliased and looks much better as a result.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:35 AM   #5
MVP

MrOldboy's Arena

OVR: 0

The issue I have with AA is the performance impact it can bring.

I will take a solid 60 fps with ZERO drops if it comes with a dumptruck of jaggies. There are other things I'd rather see prioritized before AA.

The thing is that different AA methods work for different games. I've seen games where FXAA looks better than MSAA or CSAA. FXAA does tend to give a blurry image, but it really depends on the game and how the developer has implemented it.

Here's an image that gets passed around quite a bit when FXAA vs MSAA is talked about.

In a case like this, with a distant object FXAA actually looks better to me. It does create the blur effect that people tend to hate when FXAA is brought up. But it has a tiny performance impact compared to MSAA and in some games actually looks better than MSAA, CSAA, TXAA or whatever AA.

here are the full images from the picure.

http://www.codinghorror.com/.a/6a012...42b9160970b-pi
http://www.codinghorror.com/.a/6a012...d814e81970d-pi
http://www.codinghorror.com/.a/6a012...d814e0c970d-pi
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2013, 06:02 AM   #6
Rookie

CoreGMRConMan's Arena

I know one thing... 13 was looking preeeettyyy rough after sll these years. 720p with 8 year old hardware was starting to show.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #7
Rookie

Unit303's Arena

MSAA traditionally does not include a way for transparency AA but this is easily added in these days. FXAA does nothing better with that added in to MSAA. It's terrible. No need for comparisons. In motion FXAA is completely garbage.

Not only does it blur the entire image, normal FXAA gives very little coverage to sub-pixel elements and yes this looks horrific to any trained eye in motion.

I can't name one game that FXAA has ever benefited more than MSAA and certainly not TSSAA or supersampling in general. You can't beat supersampling. Same for CSAA.

But if you were talking some reserved case with MSAA at 720p or some upscaled junk like 640p then possibly FXAA could compete to 2x MSAA. Anything else not a chance in my book.

Last edited by Unit303; 12-05-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #8
The Future

seanjeezy's Arena

OVR: 34

They'll probably use Sony's in-house solution. Still haven't opened my copy of Killzone but the AA looks pretty good even on youtube...

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »