Home

NBA LIVE 14 plays like real basketball (Watch closely)

This is a discussion on NBA LIVE 14 plays like real basketball (Watch closely) within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
NBA LIVE 14 plays like real basketball (Watch closely)

Read my below post then watch the short video clip. this was taken with a cell phone. so excuse the quality and that struggle TV

I'm the user controlling nick young trying to cut off barnes' strong hand(right side). bad move being so close.

Attack the foot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftssw3JAl2c

We will learn basketball 1 on 1 today ladies and gents

Quote:
How do you make a killer first step? Here are a few keys to the move.

One element of a big-time first step is attacking the defender's front foot. If a defender has one foot closer to you than the other, attack that foot with your lead foot. If you can get yours past theirs, you've pretty much got them beat. Why? Because the defender will have to drop their front foot back to try to cut you off, and by the time they do this, you should be well into your second step and working your way past them.

As we've talked about before, the key it to make the move fast, since that's the only way to get by the defender.

But attacking the front foot isn't always enough. If a defender has backed away from you, or is very quick, simply attacking the front foot won't get you past them. In these cases, you have to move onto other techniques for getting past your defender.

Another technique for a killer first step is the misdirection move. The mis-direction move is accomplished with either a jab-step, cross-over dribble, or a lean-in-on-direction then go-in-the-other move. With these moves, you fake in one direction and get the defense leaning that way, and then explode past them in the opposite direction.

This is a move that is used over and over again in the NBA. Because NBA players are such good athletes, and so quick, attacking the front foot isn't enough. Players like Grant Hill, Kobe, and Allen Iverson use misdirection moves time and time again to get past their defenders and to the basket. When you have a chance, watch one of they guys play and you'll see what I mean. These mid-direction moves are a staple of their offense.
this is why people have been complaining about not being able to guard the perimeter players. the game isnt broken. we dont know how to use the controls well enough yet. We're not use to being attacked off the dribble like that in a video game on PRO level.

Quote:
On-Ball Defense
With so many dribble packages and signature moves, it’s easy to assume the offense will be unstoppable. This isn’t the case though, as the defense is more than capable of keeping up with ball-handlers. Defenders take realistic cutoff angles to deny offensive players a lane to the basket, and realistic physics and foot-planting mean that defenders must be aware of angles and depth since they can’t cut on a dime.

User-controlled defenders will have to know when to play tight and when to back off, but there are plenty of tools to help you harass the offense. Sliding to one side or another, contesting a shot or taking a charge are all mapped to the right thumbstick, and a simple flick executes each command. You can also hold the LT/L2 button to slow down your movements in order to take better angles and stay in front of the ball.
^^^before anyone else makes a bunch of negative comments about any game. LEARN the nuances of the game first. then come back and give a full assessment if the games trash, so so, pretty good, or great.

i am not a Live fan boy. i am a basketball fan boy. i know the game.

Last edited by kingpnp3; 11-22-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 9
Re: NBA LIVE 14 plays like real basketball (Watch closely)

DNA %s also play a role here. You can force the ball-handlers to their weak hands and lower their percentages of making a successful play. Heck, even in Live 10 we had some of this, and it made for some great, strategic match-ups online against friends. My friend and I would study each other's team DNA for 10 minutes before we played, trying to do a mini scouting report on how to stop the opposing players. It was great fun.

I wish everyone here watched the live stream where Scott O'Gallagher showed off the controls. There is obviously a very realistic base that Live 14 is built off and there is a lot of nuance to the game. I pretty much figured that people weren't really learning the game yet, but I expect some people to start to get it the more they play.

For the record, I haven't played the game yet, so I'm just going off footage I've seen. That live stream was a real eye-opener.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluent2332
DNA %s also play a role here. You can force the ball-handlers to their weak hands and lower their percentages of making a successful play. Heck, even in Live 10 we had some of this, and it made for some great, strategic match-ups online against friends. My friend and I would study each other's team DNA for 10 minutes before we played, trying to do a mini scouting report on how to stop the opposing players. It was great fun.

I wish everyone here watched the live stream where Scott O'Gallagher showed off the controls. There is obviously a very realistic base that Live 14 is built off and there is a lot of nuance to the game. I pretty much figured that people weren't really learning the game yet, but I expect some people to start to get it the more they play.

For the record, I haven't played the game yet, so I'm just going off footage I've seen. That live stream was a real eye-opener.
same thing happened to me all week watching the ps4 vids. then i saw that one long one. not sure who it was but i think you replied to me when i talked about it. the guy was hating the game at first. the more he played the more he appreciated the game. this was all within one video and one games worth of play. that should tell you something. this isnt a hot chick. this is a semi cute chick with glasses on in the back of the room. she might be wife material. but its going to take a long dating process for you to get to know her.

i just dont want the other sim ballers that want more out of their hoop games to pass this game up on the strength of the graphics alone.

i will post another thread about the graphics in 2 seconds
Old 11-22-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
Pro

NoTiCe_O's Arena

OVR: 11

People are probably gonna say "oh it's the same 3 guys trying to defend Live again", but I guess there's only 3 people in the forums that actually know basketball or see it? You've mentioned just one simulation aspect and there are so much more, and to be honest you could have even gotten a better example but it's a good start, I think it's going to take some of the real basketball minded people in the community to shed some light on what's really going on with NBA Live. Hope to see more threads in the future.

Once I get my hands on the game I'll definitely try to get some input in myself. Just from a basketball standpoint you can see the potential Live has for competitive gaming because it's so skill based yet so basketball I.Q oriented at the same time. Live 15 might be a real gem if they continue on the path they're on. I also like the way the dunks are looking now, they're not too floaty but realistic looking, except for some of the under the hoop power slams. Also post defense needs some work but they've definitely got the right foundation to just layer on.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #5
All Star

King_B_Mack's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTiCe_O
People are probably gonna say "oh it's the same 3 guys trying to defend Live again", but I guess there's only 3 people in the forums that actually know basketball or see it? You've mentioned just one simulation aspect and there are so much more, and to be honest you could have even gotten a better example but it's a good start, I think it's going to take some of the real basketball minded people in the community to shed some light on what's really going on with NBA Live. Hope to see more threads in the future.

Once I get my hands on the game I'll definitely try to get some input in myself. Just from a basketball standpoint you can see the potential Live has for competitive gaming because it's so skill based yet so basketball I.Q oriented at the same time. Live 15 might be a real gem if they continue on the path they're on. I also like the way the dunks are looking now, they're not too floaty but realistic looking, except for some of the under the hoop power slams. Also post defense needs some work but they've definitely got the right foundation to just layer on.
EA loses more and more respect from me everyday that you aren't getting paid for your contributions.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:

exactly. the truth is i didnt go out thinking "im about to make a video." i was just studying a replay looking at the graphics. then i saw it. i was like wait a second did i just see that? Oh yes i did you see barnes eyes shift from one side to the next because he was about to go right. he set me up for that move. didnt need a cross over to kill me either. if he did do one i would've probably falling and broken an ankle. and what makes it worse for nick young and better for us(realism). is if you look closely nicks feet start off to close together. if you know anything about hoop thats a bad recipe on defense. you wont have balance. by the time i got nicks feet spread apart (LT or L2) barnes was already sizing me up for the breakdown. this is how nick young plays real defense in real life. which is one of the reasons he's not that good of a defender. even though he's athletic ENOUGH to play much better defense.

notice the foot planting, notice how he points his left foot towards the direction he's about to slide in. since i was sliding to cut off the right side. this isnt some old gen animation where the guy slides sideways with his feet perfectly facing the defender.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8t4EFSwj6U

^^^the game is realistic folks.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:16 PM   #7
Just started!

Cool Re: NBA LIVE 14 plays like real basketball (Watch closely)

I played NBA Live all day yesterday for the most part, and I was able to do on there that I can do on 2k. Pro difficulty should NOT be that hard to play on. But never the less I was Steph Curry going up against CP3. I took a jab step towards Paul, pro hopped back, and drained the 3. Live isn't a better game then 2k, but it's not as bad as these reviews make them out to be. The review from all the gaming sites, including this one, is not the same impression I got from playing it. People need to play it on there on and then go from there.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:09 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:

OMG how uppity can you possibly be? It's almost painful to watch. This game isn't just getting backlash from these forums, it's getting it from all around the web. Do you know why? It's not because we're all just simple minded fools who don't understand the game as well as you basketball gurus that defend the game to your death. It's because compared to the times we're in and it's competition IT IS A BAD GAME. Get off your high horse and get over it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »