Home

Help... I am atrocious at this game.

This is a discussion on Help... I am atrocious at this game. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-22-2013, 02:40 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 9
Help... I am atrocious at this game.

Been playing madden all my days, and wanted to try a basketball game for the first time. Got sucked in to NBA 2k14 by the next gen graphics and extremely positive reviews.

The graphics deliver for sure, but man I cannot play this game. I can't break anyone down off the dribble, nobody gets open on offense, set plays don't do anything.... I really want to dive into this game because it sounds like there are a lot of people having a lot of fun with it, but I just suck so bad, I'm struggling on the fun part. I went through the tutorials but when I get into games, it all goes to crap. Help? Anybody?

#GoPackGo
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-22-2013, 02:49 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Help... I am atrocious at this game.

play on rookie if u cant handle it ..because im the same way in madden i suck bad!!
Old 11-22-2013, 03:12 AM   #3
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

Three suggestions:

1. Use icon passing (R1) - for some reason, when you press R1 (you don't need to hold onto the button, just press it once), your teammates will move around and get better separation more frequently.

2. Call for a screen button - allows the ball handler to get open.

3. Play Scrimmage mode - allows you to play a 5 on 5 game, no fouls are called.

Side Note: I personally haven't tried breaking anyone down off the dribble, I have been simply using ball movement, passing the ball, using screens, playing on All-Star Mode. Been winning and losing games. Fun. Addictive. Will start running plays when I get a chance.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 11-22-2013 at 03:17 AM.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:20 AM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
Three suggestions:

1. Use icon passing (R1) - for some reason, when you press R1 (you don't need to hold onto the button, just press it once), your teammates will move around and get better separation more frequently.

Side Note: I personally haven't tried breaking anyone down off the dribble, I have been simply using ball movement, passing the ball, using screens, playing on All-Star Mode. Been winning and losing games. Fun. Addictive. Will start running plays when I get a chance.
Thanks for this. I am having the same problem as OP, I love the game but am terrible at it. Icon passing has helped me a lot though.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:33 AM   #5
SOLDIER, First Class...

JazzMan's Arena

OVR: 23

When I first got into 2k basketball (2k9), I was putrid. All I could do was dump it down low to Shaq every possession.

You'll get better. You just need practice.

Green Bay Packers
Utah Jazz
Nebraska Cornhuskers

Dibs: AJ Lee
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-22-2013, 05:42 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
Three suggestions:

I agree 100% with scrimmage mode.

One thing I did was go through the tutorial/training to learn a couple moves (since things have changed a bit). I'll typically pick one move I want to learn and try implementing it in a scrimmage over and over - almost spamming the move in different variations.

Once that move becomes almost second nature for me to pull off, I'll add another move to the repertoire.

One of the best things to do is maybe even freestyle practice. You can practice moves in there and get a better feel for each of the players on the team you're gonna be using.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:07 AM   #7
MVP

First you need to familiarize yourself with the controls, they can seem kind of overwhelming, but do a lot of practice modes and scrimmage. But also play exhibition games on rookie and just play around with everything(moves, plays, iso's etc.) don't worry so much about winning, just experiment and gradually find things that you're good at, or work for you.

...if that doesn't work, call a timeout.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:17 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekodinator
Been playing madden all my days, and wanted to try a basketball game for the first time. Got sucked in to NBA 2k14 by the next gen graphics and extremely positive reviews.

The graphics deliver for sure, but man I cannot play this game. I can't break anyone down off the dribble, nobody gets open on offense, set plays don't do anything.... I really want to dive into this game because it sounds like there are a lot of people having a lot of fun with it, but I just suck so bad, I'm struggling on the fun part. I went through the tutorials but when I get into games, it all goes to crap. Help? Anybody?
Good suggestions here. Start easy slowly master the controls and work your way up the difficulty levels, though I don't recommend anything higher than All-Star as too many CPU boosts get added unless that's your thing.

You'll also have to improve in basic basketball knowledge and know what is a good shot and what isn't, as well as how to play positional defense and not swat at everything like an arcade game.

Run some pick and rolls. It'll at least initiate chaos and movement if you can't outright score.

Breaking down defenses off the dribble is not supposed to be easy, and you're better off with one or two quick moves
than spamming moves until you get really good at the latter. The former is more realistic anyway and even then, don't expect too much penetration. Blow bys only happen a few times in a full length game in real life as they do in game.

Last edited by Sundown; 11-22-2013 at 08:20 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »